Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged future, but what to do now..?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Mister8Skull
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Supercharged future, but what to do now..?

I plan on having a supercharger installed in a couple years, and I want to know what mods I can do Now that will work with the s/c in the Future. I was thinking 160' stat, ECS or Cow tune, and headers to name a few...Is there an CAI I can put on the vette that is used with a s/c kit?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

cam heads headers upgraded rear and trans forged motor depends on what you are trying to get out of it long term

Rick
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

No stat. Tune is a waste without more mods.

Headers, blower cam and then a tune would be a good start.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM
MR.408FRC
Intermediate

Catback, along with headers, fuel system, injectors (especially if thinking about e-85 along with FI), cam,

Drivetrain, clutch, trans, etc...
Old 10-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Mister8Skull
Advanced

Just going to do a basic kit nothing to outrageous lol. Supercharge the stock motor...
Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 PM
Ultimate_Respect
Pro

When adding a supercharger, I would not have the Cam until you buy the Supercharger and start installing it. Headers are a different story. Maybe buying different Heads would be a good start, although you can still have the stock heads with a Supercharger. Why not go with NOS?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Just save your cash for the SC. If your intent on spending then do stuff that will work WITH the SC. Full exhaust, fuel system is a good start. Also a slush fund for when you get bored with small power and blow the motor up.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Is the car a stick or auto? That makes a huge difference. If it's an auto start saving for a built trans. If it's a stick, start saving for a clutch and built rear.

For power start with an intake. I recommend the vararam as I dropped 3 tenths with mine. You can sell it when you get the blower. Add a set of longtube headers, change the plugs and wires, and get the car tuned. With just these mods you can see drops over 1/2 a second in the 1/4 mile.

Don't mess with the heads unless you plan on going all out. Instead of upgrading heads for $1500-$2000, you can pulley down to make more boost for less than $200. Good luck. Any more questions feel free to pm me.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:17 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I would just wait on the big mods and start saving. Do some little things now....lower, tint, all new fluids, cat back, stereo....etc. Wait until you are going to do the S/C...and at that time ...have the proper funds for fuel system, dyno, tune, cam...etc.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Headers,hi-flow cats, x-pipe. Thats all you really need at this point. You could do the clutch now, but you don't need to. Could change output shaft, DTE brace, tran brace, but all this can wait. I don't think a cam is needed on a stock motor, their is no need to crack open the motor unless your going forged then you do the cam, you can easily get 550 plus to the wheels without it and save your money.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:43 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I would just wait on the big mods and start saving. Do some little things now....lower, tint, all new fluids, cat back, stereo....etc. Wait until you are going to do the S/C...and at that time ...have the proper funds for fuel system, dyno, tune, cam...etc.
^^^This plus what most of everyone else said. S/C can get real expensive REALLY quick. Plus with that much extra power you may want to go to a driving school.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Mister8Skull
Advanced

It's an 02 automatic. Thanx for the info so far...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Mister8Skull
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZZ06
^^^This plus what most of everyone else said. S/C can get real expensive REALLY quick. Plus with that much extra power you may want to go to a driving school.
No need for driving school lol. I've had a 79' Monte Carlo with a 500Hp, 440Tq 383 stroker for years. It was crazy keeping it on the road...
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Mister8Skull
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Headers,hi-flow cats, x-pipe. Thats all you really need at this point. You could do the clutch now, but you don't need to. Could change output shaft, DTE brace, tran brace, but all this can wait. I don't think a cam is needed on a stock motor, their is no need to crack open the motor unless your going forged then you do the cam, you can easily get 550 plus to the wheels without it and save your money.
I might do the exhaust like you said, but with Corsa Touring cat-back
Old 10-22-2010, 08:49 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

3.42 rear differential, trans upgrade to handle the SC power, headers, torque convertor for a start. All go good with a SC.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the LT's/intake/plugs and wires/catback/brakes/rotors/shifter and got a tune first. Then did all the cosmedic mods to my liking.Just scored a blower kit last week.Its late Oct and winter in just around the bend.I've ordered my boost gage/fuel gage/wideband gage. Next is clutch/output shafts/ECS trans brace/ECS alky kit/Blower cam! Then Toyo R888's for the rear. I got all winter to get stuff shipped and ready for the spring. Get a good plan,and follow through with it. At tax time All is going in at the same time.

Then to scoop up some lost funds,the stock clutch/intake/rear tires/and a few other things will be forsale in the parts section.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

Some of you guys need to read his questions a little better before giving advice.

Now that I know it's an automatic I can help better. You will need a new transmission without a doubt. If it is low miles you will be able to sell it for a decent amount of money, if not you can use it as a core for rpm. I would get an RPM level V trans at the very least, and go with a 2800-3400rpm converter depending on ur goals. If you are not gonna race it I would go with 2800 as it will be a little more street friendly. You will also need a trans cooler as well. Even though it may be an expensive mod and everyone may not know the car "has it", the car will be a whole other animal.

With the headers I would personally do a set without cats because they usually don't last long with a supercharger, but that is obviously your call. XSpower makes a nice set at a great price. In order to get the most out of your headers pushing the air out, you will need to get more air in. Since you don't wanna do things that won't work with the blower, you can do the zip-tie mod. Set that off with a nice tune and the car will be a beast. The car would see low 12's no problem if you're running a sticky tire.

Now obviously if you don't wanna coin out for the trans right away, you could just do the zip-tie mod, headers, and tune. You could also port the stock TB for no more than $125. This(port) will give you 5-10hp. A tune will be VERY beneficial even with minimal mods, ESPECIALLY with an automatic. The stock auto is very sluggish and firming up the shifts makes a huge difference. My buddies c5 auto begain chirping second gear with 315's on the rear after ECS tuned it. He just had an intake and a catback. Hope I covered everything I wanted to!

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged future, but what to do now..?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:39 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Money for trans upgrade. I won't be fun to get the SC power and blow the trans in the first two weeks.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultimate_Respect
When adding a supercharger, I would not have the Cam until you buy the Supercharger and start installing it. Headers are a different story. Maybe buying different Heads would be a good start, although you can still have the stock heads with a Supercharger. Why not go with NOS?
+1 on the cam. There are certain cams that are SC friendly. The concept being that the lobe profile is not based on sucking air in, it's based on air being forced in.

As far as heads, i'm pretty sure your LS1 has 241 heads. They should work just fine with an SC. Unless you're messing with compression ratios or combustion chamber size, there's not much an aftermarket head can do to improve in an FI car.

Headers are a good idea, but i'd suggest going with at least 1-3/4" (instead of 1-5/8" primaries). The larger pipes will work well with your current system, but REALLY come alive with FI.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Piper250
Instructor

Speed Costs - How fast do you wanna go. Seems like the SC is just a SMALL part of the equation, you will need to beef up the rest....or blow it all up. Good Luck - I dont think I would do it.

Quick Reply: Supercharged future, but what to do now..?