Sponsored by:

Z06 - FRC design question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Venomous
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPM
Thanks....I keep enjoying my so-called hatchback. Heres mine now lets see your (way better sexy z06)

I agree with this being the best 3/4 shot for a coupe as in any other pic it looks like a turtle! Hatchback is a good definition of it as well. I have always loved all Vettes and especially the C5 coupe, but when the FRC came out, it was like SEX!! It has the look of an exotic import with AMERICAN ingenuity! Since then I actually dislike the coupe and think it shoulda been the "base model Vette". I love the look of a Vert as well since it looks like a FRC *** wise. Side profile of a coupe is very "shell" looking due to the hatch glass.

Funny note to all, I owned both a Trans Am (02') and a coupe (98') and when parked beside one another, the lines from the roof to the edge of the "hatchback" are identical. I mean the angles are exact, the hatch glass contoured the same way, all the way to the little lip of liftgate you have to raise the hatch.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get what ya like and be happy with it....I like em all. I always like the stingray design thats why I went with the frc...but the only coupe that floats my boat is the 78 pace car.....I appreciate all of them.....Its a corvette ....I'm just blessed that I own one
Old 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
at least it isnt CFOT where the c5 is the new c4
True - and someday when I become as much of an expert, and as witty and smug as most of denizens (many of which don't even own a Corvette) that frequent CFOT - I might consider becoming a regular contributor over there.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 PM
JPM Copilot
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S.Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

yeah unfortunately he is right, only reason yours looks good and you ONLY post that picture is because it looks like an frc
I doubt JPM even cares about the Z06 OR FRC body style...He has done wonders with the C5 Coupe...has anyone else done drastic changes to their car to make it stick out or maybe everyone who owns a z06 or FRC would like to blend into the normal base crowd...and as for the only pic he posts...do some research as he has posted many.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by JPM
Thanks....I keep enjoying my so-called hatchback. Heres mine now lets see your (way better sexy z06)

Jiminy crickets man. First of all, I called my car as well as coupes ugly. I didn't say mine was gorgeous and hatchbacks are ugly. You didn't get that?

Second, I like my Corvette more than everyone elses for a very simple reason. IT'S MINE! I don't care if you have a jet engine strapped to yours, it still isn't mine, so mine is still better to me-my opinion.

Third, it's just some sheet metal, paint, a engine and a little plastic. Stop being so sensitive about your Tiger Shark Chevette, lmao!

Last edited by Kamauxx; 10-22-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

yeah unfortunately he is right, only reason yours looks good and you ONLY post that picture is because it looks like an frc

oh and gbvette>jpm
LOL, easy man, he's not taking this as lightly as some of us are. Don't want to upset him anymore.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Kamauxx
Racer

Originally Posted by JPM Copilot
has anyone else done drastic changes to their car to make it stick out
I kinda like my car's body shaped the way it came from the factory, actually. No reason for me to change mine.

or maybe everyone who owns a z06 or FRC would like to blend into the normal base crowd.
Seriously? FRCs blend into the normal base crowd? I've been living in North Carolina for a whopping 5.5 months and the only C5 Z06 I've ever seen is mine. On the flip side I've seen 47 C5 Coupes (yea, I counted em all).

Now, I agree, he has made drastic changes to his car. But did he eliminate the hatchback yet?

..and as for the only pic he posts...do some research as he has posted many.
Dude, you realize that's another pic that's barely showing the hatch, right?

*DISCLAIMER* The above poster is not very sensitive so tends to joke about ridiculous topics such as these. Please don't get butt hurt or find the comments he makes offensive.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

LOL @ this thread. GB Vette and JPMs cars are so heavily modified, is it even fair to compare them to a base model? You could put body kit on a Fiero and make it look like a Countach.

Disclaimer: Like others... I'm just having fun with the thread. I like all 3 models, but I just happen to prefer the FRC/Z06.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM
MR.408FRC
Intermediate

IN before the

I personally like the different look of the FRC/Z06 but it's like the difference between a hot blond or brunette. Who cares they're both hot chicks.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-22-2010, 06:42 PM
JPM
Race Director

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by Kamauxx
Jiminy crickets man. First of all, I called my car as well as coupes ugly. I didn't say mine was gorgeous and hatchbacks are ugly. You didn't get that?

Second, I like my Corvette more than everyone elses for a very simple reason. IT'S MINE! I don't care if you have a jet engine strapped to yours, it still isn't mine, so mine is still better to me-my opinion.

Third, it's just some sheet metal, paint, a engine and a little plastic. Stop being so sensitive about your Tiger Shark Chevette, lmao!
Blowing my post a little out of proportion...no?

LOL, easy man, he's not taking this as lightly as some of us are. Don't want to upset him anymore.
2 stars

I kinda like my car's body shaped the way it came from the factory, actually. No reason for me to change mine.

Seriously? FRCs blend into the normal base crowd? I've been living in North Carolina for a whopping 5.5 months and the only C5 Z06 I've ever seen is mine. On the flip side I've seen 47 C5 Coupes (yea, I counted em all).

Now, I agree, he has made drastic changes to his car. But did he eliminate the hatchback yet?

Dude, you realize that's another pic that's barely showing the hatch, right?

*DISCLAIMER* The above poster is not very sensitive so tends to joke about ridiculous topics such as these. Please don't get butt hurt or find the comments he makes offensive.
You do realize you're speaking to a woman right (DUDE)...Maybe call her miss or maam but not DUDE...
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You are correct, as I converted a C5 coupe into a hardtoip some years back.

Coupe owners could easily increase the rigidity by adding a harness bar to their cars.

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
From http://www.idavette.net/hib/99hdtp.htm

The Hardtop's underbody structure is the stiffest of all C5s. It has both the Coupe's "top bow" and the extra crossbar behind the seats, characteristic of the Convertible. Its exterior bodywork behind the windshield and above the belt line is bolted to the windshield header and is bolted and adhesively bonded to the rear deck. The underbody structure, the hard top and the lack of the big hole in the back for the hatch make the Hardtop about 12% stiffer in torsion and bending than the Coupe with its roof in place.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

This forum is silly
Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
You are correct, as I converted a C5 coupe into a hardtoip some years back.

Coupe owners could easily increase the rigidity by adding a harness bar to their cars.
If you converted a coupe into a hardtop, is it possible to convert a hardtop into a coupe? Cost effectively?
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 PM
johncbourg
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JPM

You knew this was coming....uh...enough said
Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Originally Posted by BobAruba
It's funny with over 38 posts on two pages this op's single post thread / flame starter has done a great job of urging some to make some ugly and offensive statements.
My intent was not to start a flame war or incite offensive comments. My question was regarding how and why GM decided to use exclusively the fixed roof coupe for the Z06 and not the fastback body style. Some people like FRCs, some people like the fastback coupes. Some people hate them both and buy convertibles. That was the beauty of the C5, lots of choice. I just wish there had been more choice with the Z06. Thats all I was saying.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:01 PM
JPM
Race Director

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by johncbourg

You knew this was coming....uh...enough said
Ahh hell..I can take anything you dish out BRO-Ham ...and nice avatar...photo theft is a crime you know

P.S.
My lips are 0.0002% bigger

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 - FRC design question

Old 10-22-2010, 10:32 PM
johncbourg
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by JPM
Ahh hell..I can take anything you dish out BRO-Ham ...and nice avatar...photo theft is a crime you know

P.S.
My lips are 0.0002% bigger
Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

IB4TL... I love the FRC's and Coupes. i got a coupe because i wanted the removable top and didn't get the Z06/FRC because i didn't want to have to cut the roof to get that removable top. And the Exhaust tips on the yellow Z above are sticking out way too much. Of course i've got wagons on mine so who am i to even speak in this forum of so-called Elite Corvette owners. I've had a couple smug C5Z owners with stock cars think they were king sh*t and they got bit trying to run mine. I love the FRC style so no hate there but i've noticed Z06 owners think they have the best thing on the block and when they find out they don't they whine a lot

P.S. i don't care for 'Verts but i still wave when i see them. I wave at all Vette's unless they don't wave back then they get the middle finger lol

Last edited by ColeTrain'sC5; 10-22-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well in the 6th generation, they did go to only a hatchback styling on the Z06 and ZR1. Roof is still fixed though compared to their little brothers/sisters with the target and vert.

Quick Reply: Z06 - FRC design question