Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on mixing Pilot Sport A/S ZP with A/S Plus ZP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thoughts on mixing Pilot Sport A/S ZP with A/S Plus ZP?

It's getting to be just about time to put the winter wheels on the car and I'm in need of new front tires for the set. The rear tires are in great condition with the Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires on them.

The A/S ZP tires seem to have been replaced by the A/S Plus ZP tires. They say it is ok to mix the tires in axle pairs as long as the Plus tires are on the rear axle. Obviously due to difference in size that is not an option and I don't have the extra $600-700 to buy a full set at the moment.

Am I looking at possible serious issues if I buy the new tires for the front or is it just a problem near the tires' limits? To put my driving in perspective I made it all the way through last winter with my summer PS/2s on the car, so I know enough not to push things in the cold.

Thanks in advance for any input,
Chris
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless there is something special on the vette,,I cant see a problem as long as each axle has the same type!! in the past mine had a minor front alignment issue,,and the fronts wore out earlier than the rears. Got Micheline on the front,,and kept the Goodyears on the back till they needed replacement!! Now that you mention it,, I haven't checked the rear to see if they might be the + as well!! Have to look in the morning!!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:03 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the PLUS in the tires is a reference to the size, but rather the model. As long as the overall height (diameter) of the rear tires is higher than that of the front tires you should be fine. Don't quote me on this, but I think the minimum difference in tire height from back to front is 1/2 inch. If you don't do this, your traction control will not be happy.

It sounds to me like you are planning to use stock tire sizes though, so if that's the case you'll be fine.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
BAMvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I replaced the rear axle OEM GY's with the the A/S+ tires 6 months ago. GY's remained on the front until about 3 weeks ago.

No issues, other than the GY's were hard as rocks.

All SWEET now.

I don't see how it could be an issue in your case.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMvette
I replaced the rear axle OEM GY's with the the A/S+ tires 6 months ago. GY's remained on the front until about 3 weeks ago.

No issues, other than the GY's were hard as rocks.

All SWEET now.

I don't see how it could be an issue in your case.
Got that right,,,was a great day when I finally ditched the rear GY and filled out with the full set of Micheline!! The new quiet was amazing!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would. I cant see that matched pairs would be an issue. As I understand it, the changes to the later Michelins are in the compound to improve wear. I cant see why that would affect handling.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on mixing Pilot Sport A/S ZP with A/S Plus ZP?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on mixing Pilot Sport A/S ZP with A/S Plus ZP?