Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has having a Vette helped you in Business?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 PM
500HPVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has having a Vette helped you in Business?

I run my own business and have a meeting coming up in a few days. I am often curious as to how prospects would view me rolling up in a red Corvette Convertible, as opposed to my black 05 Impala SS. What are your experiences?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

helps me alot
Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Seems to work for me

And I can write it off

Peace
Chip

Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 PM
500HPVette
Instructor

haha - no fair! you are in the modding biz right?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Toms02C5
Racer

Having been in business for 30+ years, I feel they would be wondering how much you charge to be able to afford a 'Vette. For a business meeting, I'd take the SS.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:46 PM
500HPVette
Instructor

Good thought Tom! I think there are 2 schools of thought here: They could think you overcharge, or they could think you are a raving success because you could afford it. Which is really funny, because a C5 really aint all that expensive.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Schwag One
Cruising

This is actually one of the reason's I'm searching for one. My typical client is a middle age individual or in pre-retirement stages. Having a great looking car is a conversation starter which leads to developing a great network. My SS trailblazer worked great when I had it
Old 09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Toms02C5
Having been in business for 30+ years, I feel they would be wondering how much you charge to be able to afford a 'Vette. For a business meeting, I'd take the SS.
...DO NOT TAKE THE VETTE, period!...almost period...even nice people turn into jealous bastiches when they see someone with a Vette
Old 09-04-2010, 12:12 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They tend to think that I make too much money when tey see the Vette. But I am a Commercial Broker so they think that I do anyway.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Schwag One
Cruising

The big question is; What do they drive? If its nicer than their cars, then I'd say no because I agree with Yello95 peope turn into jealous bastiches
Old 09-04-2010, 02:52 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't worry about driving a vette to a business meeting. It's really not going to make much impact either way. In most cases people don't even see what you drive at all. What is most important is being prepared for the contents of the meeting. If you're well prepared you will leave a positive impression.

My vette is parked right outside the door to my office, longtime client know I'm a vette owner and some regularly discuss cars with me. New clients come in and I often hear them ask my secretary "Who's vette is that?" Whether or not the client can afford the vette or not, the vast majority appreciate them. I get many positive comments on how nice they are, but doing good work for the person is what keeps them as a client.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Schwag One
The big question is; What do they drive? If its nicer than their cars, then I'd say no because I agree with Yello95 peope turn into jealous bastiches
Thank you kind sir
Old 09-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
Don't worry about driving a vette to a business meeting. It's really not going to make much impact either way. In most cases people don't even see what you drive at all. What is most important is being prepared for the contents of the meeting. If you're well prepared you will leave a positive impression.

My vette is parked right outside the door to my office, longtime client know I'm a vette owner and some regularly discuss cars with me. New clients come in and I often hear them ask my secretary "Who's vette is that?" Whether or not the client can afford the vette or not, the vast majority appreciate them. I get many positive comments on how nice they are, but doing good work for the person is what keeps them as a client.
Keep thinking that for peace of mind my friend...I don't care what kind of good work you do for them......do you think they would say anything negative about your Vette in front of you and risk some kind of reprisal ?...guarantee you lots of them talk like enveous/jealous ***** about you and your Vette behind your backdid I say guarantee you?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms02C5

i am a Realtor, and most times when I do OPEN house or show clients a home, I take the pick-up truck.

However, once in a while, on the more Upscale, homes, I will take our white convertible, and park it out front.

YES that does bring in ppl to look at the house.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

The only clients it ever cost me were the ones I did not want anyway. If they are looking for cheap, I refer them to my short-lived competition. As I have always said, "You don't always get what you pay for in life, but don't expect to get what you don't pay for".

However, if you promote your business as the cheapest solution to their needs, it might not be smart.

It still amazes me how people are envious of someone who drives a cheaper car than they do themselves? I am constantly hit up by comments at the Health Club about how "It must be nice?" I just say, your pickup truck costs more than my 10 year old Corvette - yet they still say, "Yeah, but it is a Corvette". I tell them "You can pick one up for about $15,000 right now", but they still have that constipated look. Corvettes are still the only cars that get that reaction to that degree - it's a mystery.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:46 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I work from home, but I get a lot of door to door sales people that compliment the car in the driveway.

Funny thing, it's usually girls that compliment the car.

Them: "Hi, I'd like to sell you..."
Me: "That's ok. Whatever it is, I already have it."
Them: "Oh... Uh. Ok. Nice car."
Me: "Thanks. Have a good one."

I guess if anything, it takes more time away from me working, so it probably hinders my business. LOL
Old 09-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Toms02C5
Racer

Originally Posted by 500HPVette
Good thought Tom! I think there are 2 schools of thought here: They could think you overcharge, or they could think you are a raving success because you could afford it. Which is really funny, because a C5 really aint all that expensive.
Tanner, I'll have to agree on the 2 schools of thought.....but if I had my own business, I might want to err on the conservative side..but hopefully, you're that raving success!!! Best of luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Has having a Vette helped you in Business?

Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

When i used to woek for SYSCO selling food for a living, my customers all got upset when they saw me driving around in the vette. They all said I was overcharging them and some actually started buying from other companies as well saying I was ripping them off.
Funny thing is, when i bought my 06 Charger brand new as my DD to replace the Blazer I had to use for this job not one person said a word. They all saiud they liked my bew car but never any kind of statement about overcharging them. I paid 25k for my 99 vette with 20k on the clock in 05. I paid 30k for my Charger in 06.
Go figure

Take the SS.
Unless they happen to own a vette. Then take the vette as your sales job just got easier
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 AM
G-lo
Racer

I wouldnt take it, people think driving a vette makes you rich. Yet they themselves drive a 50k SUV.I go out of my way to hide the fact that i have one in some situations. For example, if i have a plumber coming to work on the house i will leave the vette somewhere else. I feel its hard to haggle when people think you have money. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G-lo
I wouldnt take it, people think driving a vette makes you rich. Yet they themselves drive a 50k SUV....
QFT!

My boss at my old job was one of those. Guy drove a loaded Lincoln Navigator and went fishing on his huge boat every weekend. I'd help him repair the boat constantly, putting huge amounts of money into it. I commented that I'd like to get into fishing but it seems like an expensive hobby. His response was something like "well I cant afford an expensive exotic sportscar so I need a hobby"

Quick Reply: Has having a Vette helped you in Business?