Sponsored by:

MODS that increase MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Blew by you
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kale
I haven't found the DIC to be really accurate. You may just need to do the math.

Mine is usually 1-1.5 mpg off.

My wife's toyota, however, is always spot on. It's strange.
I agree! you guys need to think for just one minute that the trip computer on our Vette's are just not that true! if you really want to know drive it till it runs out, (with a extra gallon in a can in the back) put in 5 gallons and run it empty again then go fugure, anything else is specualtion!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 AM
BlackWidowC5
Advanced

Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 AM
whitehooptie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do run the car out of gas. You have a good chance of burning up a fuel pump doing that.... You don't need an alignment do you? If one wheel is slightly pointed outward, that would create one hell of a drag on the car and it would have to work a lot harder to get moving and keep moving.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:27 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't found the DIC to be really accurate. You may just need to do the math.

Mine is usually 1-1.5 mpg off.

My wife's toyota, however, is always spot on. It's strange.
For it to be accurate, you need to reset the average every time you fill up.

But to be honest, it's more or less accurate for your driving habits, not for the single tank of gas.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Blew by you
Racer

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
Do run the car out of gas. You have a good chance of burning up a fuel pump doing that.... You don't need an alignment do you? If one wheel is slightly pointed outward, that would create one hell of a drag on the car and it would have to work a lot harder to get moving and keep moving.
While that's true it is a Vette, after all so you can't even fart in these cars without throwing a code, i'm becoming scared insurmountable repair costs of my Vette, and really contemplating getting rid of it i just hear so many problems with them and the ones iv'e had are draining me!.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Blew by you
I agree! you guys need to think for just one minute that the trip computer on our Vette's are just not that true! if you really want to know drive it till it runs out, (with a extra gallon in a can in the back) put in 5 gallons and run it empty again then go fugure, anything else is specualtion!
The DIC is the output from a very sophisticated computer, getting fuel flow and distance traveled via sensors which communicate directly with the PCM to calculate the output, just like the Oil Life monitor which is very accurate as well.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-21-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

driver mod
Old 08-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The DIC is the output from a very sophisticated computer, getting fuel flow and distance traveled via sensors which communicate directly with the PCM to calculate the output, just like the Oil Life monitor which is very accurate as well.

The DIC average MPG on our '02 and '09 is Always Very Accurate.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i get 30 mpg
Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 PM
timritchieblue
Pro

2:73 gear, A4 27.5 best on highway
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM
drseth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the gasoline with ethanol decreases the gas mileage a bit. Also, in locales prone to smog, the EPA requires that the gasoline sold in these areas have oxygenators in it, which further decreases gas mileage. I live in a rural area and try to buy it locally, as opposed to buying it in Richmond or Hampton Roads area, where they require oxygenated gasoline be sold. I usually get 2 mpg better with the local gas.

I recently changed my Oxygen sensors, spark plugs, and wires, and, at 60K miles, I really did not see any difference in gas mileage, but they were almost 14 years old anyway.

There are some country stores around here that sell ethanol-free gasoline, that I use in lawn mowers and in my boats. Even though it is 87 octane, I think I might get better mpg than 93 octane gasohol.

If I can keep it under 80mph and with ac off, I get around 28-30 mpg, with a manual transmission.

If we wanted great gas mileage, I guess we should have bought a Prius or a Volt. I prefer the Corvette. Of all of the vehicles I own, it is my best gas mileage car. Another excuse to take it out and drive it.

Seth Anderson
2001 C5 Coupe 6M
Old 07-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drseth
I think that the gasoline with ethanol decreases the gas mileage a bit. Also, in locales prone to smog, the EPA requires that the gasoline sold in these areas have oxygenators in it, which further decreases gas mileage. I live in a rural area and try to buy it locally, as opposed to buying it in Richmond or Hampton Roads area, where they require oxygenated gasoline be sold. I usually get 2 mpg better with the local gas.

I recently changed my Oxygen sensors, spark plugs, and wires, and, at 60K miles, I really did not see any difference in gas mileage, but they were almost 14 years old anyway.

There are some country stores around here that sell ethanol-free gasoline, that I use in lawn mowers and in my boats. Even though it is 87 octane, I think I might get better mpg than 93 octane gasohol.

If I can keep it under 80mph and with ac off, I get around 28-30 mpg, with a manual transmission.

If we wanted great gas mileage, I guess we should have bought a Prius or a Volt. I prefer the Corvette. Of all of the vehicles I own, it is my best gas mileage car. Another excuse to take it out and drive it.

Seth Anderson
2001 C5 Coupe 6M
Holy 4 years later!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Assuming you have had a mechanic check and your car engine is performing to spec:

1: You need to check full 4 wheel alignment of the car. It can be out of alignment, you won't feel it at the steering wheel, and one or more tires pulling against each other. Keeping the car in a state of friction, dragging down your mpg. Ask me how I know this to be true....

2: Do you know for certain that previous owner did not change rear differential, and you might have 3:42 gears. Or did previous owner do any other mods, you are unaware of?

3: Check tires air closely, balance tires.

Some people overstate their mileage, and never figure it accurately, that's for sure. But, if your car is stock, has 2:73 rear end, your miles seem a little low. When my C5 was stock, I often got 27.1 to 27.7 mpg, when all was touring on interstate for the entire tank of fuel. Driving gently because my wife was with me.

Drive around town, floor it once in a while, and stop and go city driving; much much lower. That's as it should be.

Unless you drive it like a Corvette was meant to be driven, then forget about the mileage, and enjoy it.

I didn't read every post in this thread, sorry if I repeated something someone else said already.

Don
Old 07-22-2014, 09:35 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mel3535
at 70 miles the dic says 26mpg.Believe me i drive this car like its a prius or something, i never get on it any more when i was i was geting 13.5 mpg

and beside i always use cruise control which is set at 70 most of the time
I have a custom tune, Corsas, Vararam, etc and at an average of 80 MPH, I am getting 25-26 MPG on the highway, around 20 MPG is my combined driving on my 03 Z06. My 2000 auto coupe averaged about 27-29 MPG on the highway.

What kind of fuel are you burning? Also cars slated for California, could have added emissions that could cut down on the mileage. Check the tires and alignment as well. That could make a difference.

Also are you in the hilly part of California? Will make a difference with steep inclines verses more level terrain.

That being said, your MPG is the worst gas mileage I have ever heard for a C5.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 07-22-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy 4 years later!
Agreed
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 PM
vettefx76
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

LOL WTF!!!!!! Talk about a flashback lol. PERSONALLY, I think if you want to bi**h about mpgs, sell the C5 and buy a Prius or an econobox. The vette is a performance car, highway or city, its meant to be seen, heard and driven. Its just my opinion not trying to get anyone upset
Old 07-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Jake the Snake
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2002 vert, MN6 gets 18.1 mpg local in town driving, very little highway use. On a recent 211 mile trip over open road and a little interstate I got 26.74 mpg with the top down, 70-85 mph at 7,000-8,500 feet in elevation and several mountain passes between Steamboat and Vail, Co. and back.

The car has a COW mail order tune which might help, but I don't baby the car. I'll forego the Prius.

Quick Reply: MODS that increase MPG??