Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Damn I must be really old we have had our C6 for two years
Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 AM
DAN01
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by o2z51
dude thats the stupidest post ever, who else would be there wed morning??? besides not to many 25 yr old kids with 60k to buy a corvette.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:23 AM
ledzephar
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your cousin is a pompous a$$!
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Despite the criticism being given to the OP for his post, there is an element of truth to older demographics among vette owners. A brother-in-law of mine who many years ago, previously bought a new vette shortly after graduation, has thought about getting another, but makes the same comment about the majority of vette drivers being old. He and I are very close to the same age. Although I started driving vettes at age 27, after 35 years of driving them I'm now 62.

So although it's not my opinion that the vette is "an old man's car" there are plenty of us loyal vette owners who are now not so young, but continue to enjoy our vettes.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the two main reasons that BRAND NEW Corvette buyers tend to be more mature or older are:

1. The price range to buy a new Corvette today is out of the financial range for most younger buyers and guys with young families, especially the higher end specialty models.

2. It is not exactly a practical family vehicle so takes a pretty healthy income for someone to buy a new vette as a weekend toy when you are raising a family.

That being said I have been driving vettes since I was 17 and I'm now 66 and as long as I can get in and out of a vette I probably will not quit buying and driving them. Shopping for a C6 Vert at this time and have owned about 25 in my lifetime. Bought my first brand new one, a 1963 split window coupe, at the age of 19. Prior to that in high school I had a 53 and a 57 fuelie. Bought and paid for everyone I have owned myself with no help from anyone else.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Well if he does not want to buy a C5 because all the C6's are being bought by old folks, then he better stay away from C5's also. I am almost 65 and I drive a C5 6 speed.

Also if money is no object, then why look at a used C5 go for the gusto and jump in a new C6 ZR1. The idea that it was hard to drive a convertible with a suit on is just too ridiculous for words. Sounds to me like all he is (and maybe you too) interested in is being seem.

Let him go buy a Porsche as we really don't need that kind in the Corvette fraternity.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
Because he was planning to leave it at his beach house where his 4 son's would have access to the key's! And they all have there own new cars so the vette would be easy pickin's.
Would you leave a new vette there and being that he only has a 3 car garage?
WOW this statement defies logic, I cannot fathom how any person who supposedly has been so successful and would be capable of buying all the things you have credited him with could be at the same time be so lacking in basic common sense!

This thread just doesn't pass the smell test for me!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 AM
solarman
Advanced

Default I resemble that remark!

If you think the dealership is empty on a Wed. morning try the marina... I'm starting to realize that if you've got the time, you don't always have the money. If you've got the money you don't always have the time to enjoy the toys.
Those that have both, I salute you. My opinion and it's just that, my opinion. A vette is not the car to leave keys just hanging around for anyone to drive. That is a recipie for disaster!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

What I did not understand, was the OP says that the Vette was to be left at the LAKE house and the three boys all had new cars. So what is the issue with leaving the keys. So what if the boys drive the USED vette left at the LAKE house. I am sure they have been well brought up and would respect their dads old used vette, and besides if anything happened to it just go out and get another one. After all it is just left at the LAKE house.

We have not heard from the OP on any of the issues raised.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ledzephar
Your cousin is a pompous a$$!
X2 Porsche should suit him fine.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kingman
...He has owned vettes for a while and his last vette was a C6 vert that he got rid of after 2yrs because it was tough driving it with the top down in a suit! But he was able to drive a Porsche coupe without a problem.
Well, that makes a lot of sense! I don't think it's a law that you have to have the top down when driving a convertible (although it should be ) AND, most "suits" (with half a brain) will remove their jacket when driving anyway, so why is the Porsche a better choice?

...He said that this is the main reason that he lost interest in the vettes and in this economy it was an old man's car and even then vette sales might just break 12,000 units this year!
So what's his logic behind this one? Is 12,000 too many or too few? Who gives a rat's *** how many are made, as long as you like the car and it makes you feel good driving it? It sounds like Cousin Dick is trying to separate himself from the OP by coming up with lame excuses for not wanting a Vette. If he doesn't want one, that's just fine with us who do. He doesn't need illogical excuses to justify his actions. I'd be curious as to what profession this well-off individual has undertaken in order to allow such a lifestyle. I can name a few that he isn't.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by o2z51
dude thats the stupidest post ever, who else would be there wed morning??? besides not to many 25 yr old kids with 60k to buy a corvette.
Why are we wasting time with this???
Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Toms02C5
Racer

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
Despite the criticism being given to the OP for his post, there is an element of truth to older demographics among vette owners. A brother-in-law of mine who many years ago, previously bought a new vette shortly after graduation, has thought about getting another, but makes the same comment about the majority of vette drivers being old. He and I are very close to the same age. Although I started driving vettes at age 27, after 35 years of driving them I'm now 62.

So although it's not my opinion that the vette is "an old man's car" there are plenty of us loyal vette owners who are now not so young, but continue to enjoy our vettes.

Thanks for putting sensible reasoning to this thread! My thoughts exactly. I'm an old fart and I started driving 'Vettes when I was young and still enjoy them and will drive them until I can't get out of them any longer! I think it's fine for younger drivers to enjoy 'Vettes as well but with the expense involved with the newer cars, it's not hard to see why somesome or most of the mature individuals are the ones able to afford the newer cars. Certainly not saying there are some younger folk that can certainly afford them.

At 20, I sure couldn't have afforded a new one!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Faster04
Why are we wasting time with this???
I can't believe this thread has gotten this far, The original posters cousin needs a Ferrari to show how Important he is. Maybe two or three ! Not too many old folks in them.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Toms02C5
Thanks for putting sensible reasoning to this thread! My thoughts exactly. I'm an old fart and I started driving 'Vettes when I was young and still enjoy them and will drive them until I can't get out of them any longer! I think it's fine for younger drivers to enjoy 'Vettes as well but with the expense involved with the newer cars, it's not hard to see why somesome or most of the mature individuals are the ones able to afford the newer cars. Certainly not saying there are some younger folk that can certainly afford them.

At 20, I sure couldn't have afforded a new one!
See my post "Old farts who drive Corvettes"

Get notified of new replies

To A local trip to Kerbeck!

Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
Heres how you did it...remember all the drug busts you did for 20 years?...and sold the evidence for big bucks?
I started out working for the Sheriffs Dept in Md in the County Jail before becoming LEO. 40 hrs per week on the better side of the bars was plenty enough for me.

LEO is too good a job to screw it up. I'd have to invest over 2M to draw a retirement like mine w/today's Interest rate. Best thing I ever did was keeping my nose straight, going to college full-time year around X 5 yrs while working rotating shift work, getting 4 promotions on a very competitive basis, etc etc You get my drift.

May I ask did you grow or mix anything interesting to pay for your Vette?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 875 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by cor24vette

May I ask did you grow or mix anything interesting to pay for your Vette?

yes I actually did grow something...work ethic=hard work=success and paid for everything myself(reaching over to pat myself on the back)
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Very rarely do Porsche guys switch to Corvette. It's the whole image thing. Many Porsche owners regard Vette drivers as sodbusters, rubes and social inferiors. (May be true, but at least our rods are out front -- the way God intended. )

Quick Reply: A local trip to Kerbeck!