Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Panel Delamination Fix Tutorial/Write Up/How To

Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
BigTattooMan
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Wow great write up and good timing on this thread revival, my panel is starting to pop up. Right now I'm able to push it back and stick but I feel that won't work much longer.

Again thanks for the write up/idea
Old 05-04-2014, 01:47 AM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Markymark, and others, if you did this fix, how are the door panels holding up with the epoxy, or whatever glue you used?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Excellent writeup. Very much appreciate you taking time to document and photograph everything. Also enjoyed your clever remarks! I noticed this problem on my drivers door and as I'll soon be installing a new DD radio and new speakers, I'm going to do this while I've got the door panels off. Well done !!!!!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:24 PM
drb9298
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-04-2016, 07:36 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Excellent tutorial...informative and funny...
Now I'm curious HOW many shop vacs have been returned since the posting of this thread... I think I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if I did that... can't you make some kind of a simple PVC valve to close once you get the vacuum pulled, so you don't ruin a brand new shop vac and still get the job done?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:01 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Excellent tutorial...informative and funny...
Now I'm curious HOW many shop vacs have been returned since the posting of this thread... I think I'd have a hard time sleeping at night if I did that... can't you make some kind of a simple PVC valve to close once you get the vacuum pulled, so you don't ruin a brand new shop vac and still get the job done?
Not really, once the vacuum is shut off, air leakage into the spot will result in the vinyl pulling back away from the substrate, some type of vacuum must be continued until the adhesive has time to re-attach the vinyl to the backing . . . . .

That said, I wanted to add my two cents worth to the refrigerator compressor story . . . . .
I have kept an old refrigerator compressor in my shop for many years, useful for a lot of projects such as vacuum forming projects, pulling a vacuum on A/C systems prior to re-charging, etc. They'll run for many years with no apparent problems.

I learned of their potential many years ago from an old mechanic in my home town who was pulling a vacuum on an R-12 automotive system. His had been in use for over 15 years . . . . . still functional.
Shortly thereafter I procured my own and have had it in occasional use over the past 30 plus years for various projects. They're cheap, easy to come by (often free prior to disposal of the old refrigerator), and only need a "Tap-a-Line" valve instaled on the suction line to allow connection of a hose of your choice . . . . .

Though some of you guys might like to know . . . . .

Last edited by Ron Miller; 07-04-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM
My1stONE
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Door Panels

Great job with the repair and your indepth info on how and why you did what you did. I'm thinking about trying this out on mine.
I do have one question for you, if you recovered the bottom of the Panels why not do the whole thing? The bottom of the Panels look fantastic! I'm sure that it would be more difficult to do the top but I'm sure it'll be worth the effort. I know that the top has more difficult curves and pockets to try and make sure the material conforms to all this but a good contact cement, heat gun and a good roller should make it a little easier and with great results. I have done this on other panels and they came out great. I'm going to try it out and I'LL let everyone know how it goes. And don't worry I'll get plenty of pictures. Thanks again!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

WOW! Thank you for this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door Panel Delamination Fix Tutorial/Write Up/How To