Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainted but bumper is darker than fender?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:57 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Repainted but bumper is darker than fender?

Can anybody else check their torch red and see if the front bumper is darker than the fender?

I just had the front bumper, headlight doors and hood (stripped and repainted) as well as blend the fenders. All work done at a Chevrolet dealership.

To me... it looks bad but reading online it seems like this is common (Plastic vs composite) Something about paint molecules and static... plastic bumpers will always show slightly darker than other surfaces.

Thanks!!

Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

In the last picture if that is really the difference. I feel it should closer than that.
In my opinion it is way off.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

In that last pictures it does show quite a difference, but lighting, shadows, etc. (Even someones contrast setting on their monitor) can make that look worse than it is. It's almost as if they didn't actually blend the fenders.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:21 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
In that last pictures it does show quite a difference, but lighting, shadows, etc. (Even someones contrast setting on their monitor) can make that look worse than it is. It's almost as if they didn't actually blend the fenders.
It appears that way... but I checked close in and verified that chips were filled in with fresh paint. Its just odd and I am unable to find any photos of "before" that I can show them in comparison.

If anybody with a torch red can take a same photo as that last one... PM or post it please. I'd like to have some ammo to bring back if they say it isn't normal.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:26 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by maestro300
It appears that way... but I checked close in and verified that chips were filled in with fresh paint. Its just odd and I am unable to find any photos of "before" that I can show them in comparison.

If anybody with a torch red can take a same photo as that last one... PM or post it please. I'd like to have some ammo to bring back if they say it isn't normal.
I'll post some ammo for ya...probably not the exact angle, but I'll look for one that's close:

Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
In the last picture if that is really the difference. I feel it should closer than that.
In my opinion it is way off.

Looks like the fender is quite a bit lighter than the bumper, headlight cover and hood.

It really looks like the fender wasn't touched and the paint wasn't color matched to what is on the car.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:55 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blue 92

Looks like the fender is quite a bit lighter than the bumper, headlight cover and hood.

It really looks like the fender wasn't touched and the paint wasn't color matched to what is on the car.
I went out and looked again... they did blend it for sure now. The little rock chips have paint in them for sure. Maybe they needed to mix the paint differently for the bumper?
Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I would guess they removed the front cover and painted it separate from the fenders
Old 07-18-2010, 05:07 PM
WildTurkey
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks off to me - talk to them
Old 07-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
I would guess they removed the front cover and painted it separate from the fenders
There is a clear flexible paint addictive that is used for the front and rear covers. If this additive was not used, the paint would crack if the covers were bumped even lightly -- because automotive paint is not naturally flexible.

I'll bet the cover was painted separately. In any event, the final results should be much, much closer. Sometimes metallic paints can be tough -- but your red is not metallic.

Time for a visit and re-do. They can do better.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 PM
GHL4505
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't except their excuses. They need to take it back and do it right.

I had the same thing happen to me, but it was a red C4 vert. It had the hardtop and rag top. I hit the corner of the hardtop when I removed it and set it on the garage floor. So, I took it in to get the chiped corner repaired. They said that they could fix it but would have to paint the whole top. When I picked it up after the repair, I took one look at it and saw it didn't match the rest of the car. It looked like an orange top on a red vette. The shop manager gave me every excuse he could come up with. I told him it wasn't exceptable and I wasn't going to drive around in a red vette with an orange top. The best he would do was paint it again and split the cost of the repaint. I wasn't getting anywhere with him, so left with the car. When I got to my office, I sat down and wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership. I told him the story and said that I was going to a car show that weekend and when people asked who painted the orange top, I would be happy to tell them.

The next day, I received a phone call from the shop manager. He opologized and said to bring the top back to the shop they would repaint it with no additional charge. I picked up the top the next day and it matched perfectly.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM
ZO6Bear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GHL4505
I wouldn't except their excuses. They need to take it back and do it right.

I had the same thing happen to me, but it was a red C4 vert. It had the hardtop and rag top. I hit the corner of the hardtop when I removed it and set it on the garage floor. So, I took it in to get the chiped corner repaired. They said that they could fix it but would have to paint the whole top. When I picked it up after the repair, I took one look at it and saw it didn't match the rest of the car. It looked like an orange top on a red vette. The shop manager gave me every excuse he could come up with. I told him it wasn't exceptable and I wasn't going to drive around in a red vette with an orange top. The best he would do was paint it again and split the cost of the repaint. I wasn't getting anywhere with him, so left with the car. When I got to my office, I sat down and wrote a letter to the owner of the dealership. I told him the story and said that I was going to a car show that weekend and when people asked who painted the orange top, I would be happy to tell them.

The next day, I received a phone call from the shop manager. He opologized and said to bring the top back to the shop they would repaint it with no additional charge. I picked up the top the next day and it matched perfectly.

I'm with him.

I've spent more than my fair share of time in a body shop in every position (get ur mind outta the gutter) from a sander to quality control. If they took the proper steps and sprayed primer b4 paint this wouldn't have been an issue. They should make this right. Bad on them.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

I painted mine two weeks ago and the color is the same; it's possible that the color wasn't mixed right for your car before it was sprayed.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I've never seen anybody's TR car with that kind of difference in color.
They need to redo it or find someone who can....at no additional cost to you!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 PM
azkaty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some of our photos.. there is NO color difference! Also note there is a clear bra on the car. The paint is original

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Most modern Urethane paints do NOT need additives like the old days for Urethane bumpers-I'm sure they shot the same paint on all the panels and didn't blend it in well.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 PM
maestro300
Instructor

[QUOTE=azkaty;1574737953]Here are some of our photos.. there is NO color difference! Also note there is a clear bra on the car. The paint is original

Thank you for these photos. They really help... I'm trying to sell this car and had a guy pretty much walk away from the deal after seeing it.

They told me it was normal to see the variation.. I agree this is "Too much" variation. I'll bring it back later this week and will update this thread with the results.

Thanks everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Repainted but bumper is darker than fender?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:00 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

It should match 100%...I had my mirrors repainted TR last year. They came out an exact match to the rest of the car, and it was done at the Chevy dealer. TR is not a metallic and should turn out exactly like factory hue...no excuses....stand your ground.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,394 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It does look like it is off a bit, but sometimes pictures can be misleading. The bottom line is if you feel the paint does not match the rest of the car, take it back to them and have them make it right. You didn't pay for it to be a mismatch and they should be able to get it right.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
maestro300
Instructor

Just so I know... what is the body panel material used on the bumper and fender?

I know most of the car is SMC (Sheet molded compound) but didn't know if that applied to the bumper.

I know paint color differences happen on sheet metal vs plastic. But when its really just plastic vs plastic... that part I dont know.

Quick Reply: Repainted but bumper is darker than fender?