How to Apply 3M Carbon Fiber Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:43 PM
coolarrow
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Indy
Thanks for the reply. I have to say again and again what a great job you did with your door bezel! It looks perfect So did you only put the primer on the edge of the door bezel or on the entire surface? I was thinking of doing the center console and that is one big unit....so would you recommend doing the entire surface or just around the edges and corners? Indy
Thank you Indy for the kind words, I'm glad you like. I would recommend only using the primer where you need it. On the door bezel for example, all along the backside perimeter where the tabbed film will tuck behind and a good heavy coat inside the recess where the door lock latch actuates. The reason that you don't want to use it everywhere is because the primer's adhesion as your working with it is very high and it is not too forgiving if you need to pull the material back up and reposition. Not to say that you can't pull it back up because you can...it's just not worth fighting it where you don't have to. As far as doing your console, I'd do a small piece first for the practice, like the door bezel. When you're getting to the point where you get the hang of it...GO FOR IT ON THE CONSOLE!!! I did mine. Go to

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-interior.html

and check it out. Use 1 piece, big enough to cover the whole thing and TAKE YOUR TIME! Take everything apart do the appurtances separately (ash tray door, drink door & temp sensor). Start and the bottom and primer at the vertical contours (ash tray area, A/C area and radio). Wait to end to primer/tuck the tabs to the back side. Don't hesitate to ask me for help.

Good luck and post some pics my Vette brother! - C.A.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:38 PM
burbleflyer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I am so doing this.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SUBscribed!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:19 PM
wetelvis
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me like One more thing I want to try
Good write up too
Thanks
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Gonna do this to some underhood stuff!

Great write-up

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this the same as di-noc vinyl?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
corvettedaddy11
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM
coolarrow
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by tracer1
Is this the same as di-noc vinyl?
Yes. (OP)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by coolarrow
Yes. (OP)
reason I asked is I thought the di-noc was self sticking......didn't know you had to have the primer seal also.

thanks,

tracer1
Old 06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
coolarrow
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

reason I asked is I thought the di-noc was self sticking......didn't know you had to have the primer seal also.

thanks,

tracer1
You're right. The material is "self-sticking". With that said, the amount of adhesion you'll get is enough to lay down on a flat or low-contoured area and still be able to lift it again and re-apply if you goof it up. When you're stretching onto a highly-contoured area, you'll need some help keeping it down as it will want to lift on its own. (i.e. under the brake handle.) That's where the primer comes in.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! Doesn't look too hard. I think I'll try it out on a couple pieces in my commuter car first to see if I like it. I imagine this is a case of "practice makes perfect"
Old 06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by coolarrow
You're right. The material is "self-sticking". With that said, the amount of adhesion you'll get is enough to lay down on a flat or low-contoured area and still be able to lift it again and re-apply if you goof it up. When you're stretching onto a highly-contoured area, you'll need some help keeping it down as it will want to lift on its own. (i.e. under the brake handle.) That's where the primer comes in.
Thanks so much for the info.....I have a sheet of it & just haven't gotten around to using it. Now I know I need the primer. Thanks.
BTW, when you do these pieces and/or the console, do they need to be sanded down first. I've heard the carbon won't hold for a long period of time because the surface isn't flat and the textured surface allows air to get under it. Is that right?
Great write-up also.

tracer1
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
coolarrow
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks so much for the info.....I have a sheet of it & just haven't gotten around to using it. Now I know I need the primer. Thanks.
BTW, when you do these pieces and/or the console, do they need to be sanded down first. I've heard the carbon won't hold for a long period of time because the surface isn't flat and the textured surface allows air to get under it. Is that right?
Great write-up also.

tracer1
I did ZERO sanding on all of my pieces when I did them a year ago. Granted, my car does not do much sitting in the sun. Wrapped pieces include: Door bezels, Radio Bezel, Power seat bezels, Fog/Trunk lid bezel, Vanity mirrors, Window vents, Console base, A/C vent perimeters...I think that's it. Only the door bezels lifted in the lock area. Too much contour there, sanding would NOT have done any good. I had to re-heat, cut in some relief slits and Super Glue.

Long story short, pass on the sanding. It is not necessary. The 3M primer in the high-contoured areas is all you'll need. - C.A.

Last edited by coolarrow; 06-12-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Coolarrow for clearing that up.

tracer1

Quick Reply: How to Apply 3M Carbon Fiber Wrap