Sponsored by:

Hypothetical headlight....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 PM
jasonlouis2217
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hypothetical headlight....

Tossing a few ideas around and curious as to how feasible they are. Say my low beams sufficed, could I turn the high beam side into the turn signal or vice versa hi/no-lo/turn? But wait there's more - could I wire a led strip to become the new drl? I'm very unfamiliar with the limits of the wiring for the lights, if these are things you'd learn in lights 101 please excuse my "noobness". Constructive criticism only please and thank you.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:11 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Not an LEO or an expert, and I thought you were required to have high beams, but I just looked up NYS VTL and I dont see anything that says you have to have both high and low beams, so I guess in theory just lows would be legal.

Problem is, and I know this isnt going to go over well here, Im not sure you are technically allowed to modify the factory lighting on any vehicle. Yes, yes I know.....many of us do (me included, I have Halo LED Tails) but technically GM had the lights they put on the car approved for this car, you arent even supposed to take lights off say a Cadillac, which are obviously DOT approved) and put them on another model.

Regarding DRL's, I would imagine that the color would be the issue. As long as they were yellow or white (whatever you were displaying before to wards the front) would get the least attention and subsequently the least aggravation for you. If you used red (gasp) blue, green or almost any other color, I would predict a Highway Officer in your future.

Good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 05:01 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just a few thoughts. I had to modify the stock lights to pass the UK standards test so I'm familiar with the lighting.

The low beams are not massively powerful. Most owners look to upgrade them to get better output. I wouldn't ditch the highs without something better than the stock low beam driving lights. Your high only but low as T/S wouldn't work without blinding oncoming drivers.

I fitted Euro headlights which may give you what you want, although you'd need to drive around with the headlamps up. These have a dual filament H4 bulb to give low beam and high beam from one bulb. You fit a plug and play harness to convert the wiring loom. The harness and relays allow you to use either 65/55 or 135/90 bulbs. It also has a hole for a small bulb for the parking lights. You could fit an orange to make this act as a T/S if you wanted to. You'd just need to tap into the T/S circuit with some inline connectors.

Radioflyer has come up with an Audi style LED DRL kit that runs in the stock headlight housing. A search should turn up some details

HTH

Last edited by DeeGee; 07-06-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
jasonlouis2217
Advanced

I wanted to keep it on the "DL" but I guess it'll help y'all better answer my questions so.... I plan on making a one-off custom front bumper and removing the turn signal housing, a more modern c6 look. I planned on buying the DEPO headlight unit modifying 1 "side" to the H4 dual filament hi/lo beam bulb, and the other "side" to the turn signal, and a l.e.d. across the front (Audi look) as the drl. Hopefully that gives you a better idea, and I didn't just confuse the sh*t outta you, lol! Thanks for any input.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,256 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlouis2217
, and a l.e.d. across the front (Audi look) as the drl.
here's my audi style.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
jasonlouis2217
Advanced

JDM I like that look but would like to incorporate the light into the actual headlight, removing the turn signal "spot" altogether.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

JDM I like that look but would like to incorporate the light into the actual headlight, removing the turn signal "spot" altogether.
What will you do in the daytime? Are you planning to keep the lights up all the time?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 PM
jasonlouis2217
Advanced

I am thinking of ways to modify a non-pop up style headlight, probably depo's.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am thinking of ways to modify a non-pop up style headlight, probably depo's.
Hmm. I think your best bet would be a dual projector setup where one projector is a Bi-Xenon and the other projector is replaced by a marker style light.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You know, Id like to claim I was on pain meds when I posted that last post....but I wasnt. Please just chalk it up to checking the board at 5am and . . .

Carry on

Get notified of new replies

To Hypothetical headlight....

Quick Reply: Hypothetical headlight....