Sponsored by:

Just bought a C5

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 PM
Nickrprop1
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a C5

Just bought a 2000 C5 with 76k, I love the car. Only issue with it is that it says Serv Tire Mon system. Can I reset this or something Thanks.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:18 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One or more of your tire pressure sensors is not functioning. You can try retraining them and see if that helps - the steps for that are in your owner's manual. Failing that - you might have to replace the bad ones.

Hitting the reset button will only temporarily make the message go away. It will come up again the next time the system attempts to query the monitors and fails to get a response.

Welcome to the forum and the brotherhood by the way!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Nickrprop1
Cruising

Thats what Im looking for but my car didnt come with an owners manual???
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Nickrprop1
Thats what Im looking for but my car didnt come with an owners manual???
I see them for sale on e-Bay every now and then!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 PM
chips*dad
Racer

Your 2000, like mine, may have had the run flats and sensors taken out and replaced with standard (better riding, IMHO) tires. I reset it every time I start 'er up, and that's that.

Congrats!

Dave
Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 PM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color ? Options ? Pics ?
Old 06-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Nickrprop1
Cruising

Black 2000 Targa 6speed fully loaded minus magnesium wheels has chrome. Have pic on computer cant figure out how top post it though.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Congrats on getting into your Vette and many use photobucket to post pictures
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Download the PDF version. I like it, doesn't mess up the original and you can use search to find things.

http://corvette-world.com/free-corve...nual-t-21.html

congrats on the new vette.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This should help too:

The ability to view engine operating data such as oil pressure and coolant temperature, in digital form on the instrument panel has been a feature of Corvettes since 1984. Starting in 1992, the instrument panel could display limited diagnostic data relating to the car's on-board computer systems.

The C5's capacity to display diagnostic codes is significantly expanded. The new Corvette has 11 "Computer Modules" that transmit diagnostics:

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Traction Control System (TCS), which combines traction control, ABS and, on cars built after 1997, the optional Active Handling System

Real Time Damping (RTD)

Body Control Module (BCM)

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC)

Radio

Heating-ventilation-air conditioning (HVAC)

Left Door Control Module (LDCM)

Right Door Control Module (RDCM)

Seat Control Module (SCM)

Remote Function Actuation (RFA).

The Instrument Panel Cluster display, the 20-character fluorescent screen above the steering column that says "Corvette by Chevrolet" every time you start the car, is an important device. Its primary function is to display warning and status messages from the various modules. For cars built before 12/15/97, there are 48 of these warning/status messages. A few additional messages come from cars built after that date and equipped with the Active Handling option. A list of the warning/status messages can be found in your Owner's Manual or in the Service Manual for your model year.

The display can show powertrain operating information and tire pressures by simply pressing different buttons on the Driver Information Center (DIC) to the right of the instrument panel. In addition, using the "options" button, you can configure the C5's keyless entry and security systems. Use of the display and buttons for these purposes is discussed in your Owner's Manual

Do-It-Yourself owners will be most interested in the display of diagnostic trouble codes for all modules that transmit them. The "Diagnostic Display Mode" is entered with the following procedure:

1) Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.

2) Press the "RESET" button to turn off any warning messages

3) Press and hold "OPTIONS"

4) While holding "OPTIONS", press "FUEL" four times within a 10-second period.

Initially, on-board diagnostics go into an "Automatic Mode" which shows diagnostic codes in a pre-set sequence: PCM - TCS - RTD - BCM - IPC - RADIO - HVAC - LDCM - RDCM - SCM - RFA. All codes will be displayed for each module. If none are present in a given module, you will see "No More Codes" on the display.

There are two kinds of diagnostic codes, "Current" and "History", designated with a letter suffix, "C" or "H". A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. When not accompanied by a current code of the same number, it's potential evidence of a previous problem, now resolved, that was not removed by clearing the codes. More likely it's an indication of an intermittent malfunction.

Intermittent codes are the most challenging of the diagnostics. An intermittent code may have happened once, may have happened more than once but is inconsistent or may be happening on a regular basis but not at the time the codes are displayed. History codes can also be caused by a current malfunction in a system that is not operating at the time codes are displayed. An example is the rear window defogger which doesn't operate until the Body Control Module detects engine rpm. For history codes set by a module that does not operate with the key on and engine off, a special diagnostic tool called a "Scan Tester" is necessary to properly diagnose the malfunction.

Once the system has displayed all modules, it goes into the manual mode which allows selection of each module using combinations of Driver Information Center buttons. Manual mode can also be entered during the automatic sequence by pressing any button except "E/M". Once the display shows "Manual Diagnostics", select a module by pressing the "OPTIONS" button to go forward or the "TRIP" button to go back. Once a module is selected, a code is displayed, and if more than one are present; press "GAGES" to go forward or "FUEL" to go back.

To exit the diagnostic mode at any time, press "E/M". If you want to erase codes in a given module, press "RESET".

To reset the codes once in manual mode, press and hold "RESET" until it displays "NO CODES". Press "OPTIONS" to go to the next module. Repeat the steps until you have reset the codes in all the computer modules. NOTE!! Only reset the codes IF you want to - it is NOT necessary to do this. Clearing a code does not repair a problem. You are simply erasing the evidence of it in the module's memory.

Once you have the codes, the next question is: What to do with the information? First, consult the factory service manual. Any serious C5 Do-It-Yourself owner should invest in the Corvette Service Manual of the appropriate model year. Unfortunately, it is an expensive set of three books totaling (1997 edition) 3890 pages and stacking 4 1/4 inches high. In spite of its cost and size, the Service Manual is a requirement if you want to understand and work on your C5. They are available through Chevrolet dealers and mail order sources, such as Ecklers and Mid America.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:10 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats

Chuck
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You gonna love that car!

my 2000 just turned 76k on her clock!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new ride!!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by chips*dad
Your 2000, like mine, may have had the run flats and sensors taken out and replaced with standard (better riding, IMHO) tires. I reset it every time I start 'er up, and that's that.

Congrats!

Dave
I have never understood that logic

As well I've never agreed with GM not putting TPS on ZO6s. You would think that with a non-runflat a TPMS would be even more important.

The one I really don't get are guys running 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of wheels sans TPS.

For me if a tire is going down I want to know so I don't ruin the tire and trash a wheel, let alone possibly wreck the car.

btw. You can have the system tuned "on" in a Z with a tech II and add sensors.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
I have never understood that logic

As well I've never agreed with GM not putting TPS on ZO6s. You would think that with a non-runflat a TPMS would be even more important.

The one I really don't get are guys running 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of wheels sans TPS.

For me if a tire is going down I want to know so I don't ruin the tire and trash a wheel, let alone possibly wreck the car.

btw. You can have the system tuned "on" in a Z with a tech II and add sensors.
All new cars now have TPMS for a good reason. And if anything, after switching over from run flats to non run flats, you need them more than ever!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 PM
C54ever
Advanced

If your wheels still have the sensors you can use this procedure. Some people delete the sensors when changing wheels.

1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.

3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.

4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.
Notice: Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Cautions and Notices.

5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.

6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin
the programming sequence.

7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.
8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.
9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed
by the IPC messages:
- LEARN R FRONT TIRE
- LEARN R REAR TIRE
- LEARN L REAR TIRE
Programming Cancellation
1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met: - The program mode is exited through the DIC.
- The ignition is turned to OFF.
- All four sensors have been programmed.
- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors
have been learned.
2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point

Instead of tool J 41760 just use a stong magnet and you should be good to go.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 AM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Default Welcome in - also had to reset my CEL

Hi,

Fellow 2000 owner, for nearly four years now. Had to replace my tire pressure sensors, no big deal except for expense. Haven't looked since to see if they are any less now.

Enjoy!

Get notified of new replies

To Just bought a C5

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Welcome!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:42 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

If your wheels are chrome then they are after market as no C5 came with chrome wheels, so possibly whoever replaced them skipped the sensors.
I would want sensors, and as others have said even more so if you have non runflats.
Congrats on the car.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Just bought a C5

Originally Posted by Nickrprop1
Just bought a 2000 C5 with 76k, I love the car. Only issue with it is that it says Serv Tire Mon system. Can I reset this or something Thanks.
I just bought a 99 3 weeks ago and have the same reading. After reading the manual, I realized that when I had the dealer take the tires & wheels off the 2001 on his lot and put them on my car before I bought it, the sensors should also have been swapped. Are yours the original tires & wheels?

Quick Reply: Just bought a C5