Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caravaggio spoiler self install question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:09 PM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caravaggio spoiler self install question...

Just received my spoiler from them thru gp from Autobuffs and my question is..has anyone else who has one of these installed it with the tape themselves?? Advice etc etc...I just need to paint mine but figured paying for install might not be necess......may even end up selling it....undecided (see c5parts4sale section thread)
Old 06-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You can do it yourself although it helps to have someone help you. Just do a couple practice runs without the tape first. It goes on pretty easy but if you mess it up you can pull it off and try it again.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Munch
You can do it yourself although it helps to have someone help you. Just do a couple practice runs without the tape first. It goes on pretty easy but if you mess it up you can pull it off and try it again.
E

Excellent! Yea thats what I planned on doing....What kind of prep should be done to the deck first?? (rubbing alcohol where tape will lay??) Any advice on where to get the tape? Was a big issue on the gp when were bought...may have some from a fellow buyer of the spoiler.....
Old 06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
artfahie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will take two people to hold it into an "absolute" position before having the tape make contact. Prior to removing the masking from the tape locate the spoiler as you'd like to see it mounted, then use a Stabillo pencil to mark a line to align with. Remove the tape masking and cautiously and firmly align and press the piece into final position. Wipe off the pencil marks with a soft cloth. Good luck... it's not tough to do.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The tape you can get at any auto parts place, use the 3M stuff. I don't know about using rubbing alcohol, I use prep-sol. Clean it good a couple times and it should stay on there forever.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
SISCAKIDD
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeterarodyks
Just received my spoiler from them thru gp from Autobuffs and my question is..has anyone else who has one of these installed it with the tape themselves?? Advice etc etc...I just need to paint mine but figured paying for install might not be necess......may even end up selling it....undecided (see c5parts4sale section thread)
if you decide to sell DIBBS,love that style spoiler
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM
2vettes2go
Pro

Use saran wrap to cover the rear bumper area while you test fit and sand the spoiler for a really close fit.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

To clean the surface a Prep-sol type cleaner is much better than alcohol. It leaves the surface with absolutely no remnants of anything you might have applied such as wax, etc. I was able to get the tape at Advance. The 3M is the best. If you want to install yourself it is possible. After applying the tape to the spoiler, leave the protective vinyl on the tape when lining the spoiler on the car. When ready to install, just pull up enough of the liner so that it can stick out while the spoiler rests on the car. Holding the spoiler in place, pull on the piece sticking out as you push down on the spoiler. It should come out easily. Take your time and work slowly and it should glue down in the location you want. If done properly it isn't coming off so easily for relocation, so be careful. Good luck. The spoiler really finishes off the C5 rear perfectly.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,413 Likes on 613 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Be sure to test fit this spoiler before you paint it also. They usually do not fit correctly without some sanding of the tips. We had to do quite a bit of sanding to ours to get a good fit....
Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,562 Likes on 14,117 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Munch
The tape you can get at any auto parts place, use the 3M stuff.
Just be careful like others have said - it does get a bit tough to pull things back off once the tape has been applied to the car.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
krzytrain
All Aboard!!!
Support Corvetteforum!

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. You can get the 3m tape at lowes or Home Depot, get the 3M tape with the red backing. I prepped the paint with some stuff my painter gave me ill have to look tonight to see what it is called, it was some black prep stuff that helped the tape bond to the surface.

It was really easy to fit... i positioned the spoiler on and marked it with blue painters tape. Me and one of my friends aligned it with the tape and set it on.... pretty easy.

i didnt think i was going to like it but it really looks nice on the car and set off the back end.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

EXCELLENT ADVICE...MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS!!!!

oh one question I do have....

WHERE ARE YOU APPLYING THE TAPE TOO?? I KNOW THE SPOILER OBVIOUSLY, BUT IS THERE A PATTERN YOU HAVE ( JUST AROUND THE EDGES? STRIPS ACROSS for example ) ?????

THANKS AGAIN and will keep you posted!!! Goes for paint tomorrow
Old 06-07-2010, 01:15 PM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Basically what I did was look at the parts of the spoiler that will actually make contact with the top of the rear bumper. I ran a line of double sided tape alone the part that goes flush to the top of the rear bumper. Then on the sides of the spoiler I cut tape as the spears narrowed down the sides of the rear fenders so it would stick to the sides of the car. Basically you can't go over board with tape.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 PM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Basically what I did was look at the parts of the spoiler that will actually make contact with the top of the rear bumper. I ran a line of double sided tape alone the part that goes flush to the top of the rear bumper. Then on the sides of the spoiler I cut tape as the spears narrowed down the sides of the rear fenders so it would stick to the sides of the car. Basically you can't go over board with tape.
GREAT!!!!Much much thanks to you guys and esp Jan for putting together the gp...we were PIA's at times lol...so hope she is on that vacation!!
Old 06-08-2010, 11:47 PM
vvf-16
Racer

So how's your spoiler lookin.....

well mines on for now! Need to take back off along with front T/S front end and take to a third paint shop to see if they can get paint closer

Last edited by vvf-16; 06-09-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:02 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by vvf-16
So how's your spoiler lookin.....

well mines on for now! Need to take back off along with front T/S front end and take to a third paint shop to see if they can get paint closer

Looks good to me!

Is the Spiral Gray Metallic tough to match up? That's the color of my vert.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM
jeterarodyks
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Looks good to me!

Looks great man...glad it worked out finally ...Mine is getting paint (BLACK) as we speak...said should be done by end of this week......I will keep posted.

Get notified of new replies

To Caravaggio spoiler self install question...

Old 06-10-2010, 04:20 PM
RockyF150
Burning Brakes

did all mine by myself. Not hard. I test fitted before doing anything. prepped the spoiler. test fitted again. taped. painted and installed.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:29 AM
vvf-16
Racer

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Looks good to me!

I'm still havin trouble finding a paint shop that can match it up (working on third shop now)..First shop painted my Tiger shark front end - to dark, Second shop painted rear spoiler - too blue.....Hope the third shop will be -Just right- sounds like goldy locks...They aren't far off - but I'm a perfectionist and I see it a mile away..
Old 06-12-2010, 03:31 AM
vvf-16
Racer

Originally Posted by jeterarodyks
Looks great man...glad it worked out finally ...Mine is getting paint (BLACK) as we speak...said should be done by end of this week......I will keep posted.
How does it fit? my left side had a good size gap under the fender side extension

Quick Reply: Caravaggio spoiler self install question...