Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key in, turn and just click..then starts??

Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 AM
pinballfanatic
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Key in, turn and just click..then starts??

Recently I have had an issue where when I put the key in and turn, it goes click and nothing.....try again and starts up fine. Battery is good, column lock issue taken care of...any ideas?? It does not happen all the time. Curious as I do not want to be stuck somewhere....Thanks.
2000 vert 15k miles.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 AM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by pinballfanatic
Recently I have had an issue where when I put the key in and turn, it goes click and nothing.....try again and starts up fine. Battery is good, column lock issue taken care of...any ideas?? It does not happen all the time. Curious as I do not want to be stuck somewhere....Thanks.
2000 vert 15k miles.
Start by pulling the codes and posting them here.

http://www.c5forum.com/ayc/dtcdic.php

Never a good idea to "guess when you have not yet seen the codes.

That said here is what I would speculate.

In order of likelihood:

1) Battery, battery connections (including at the starter). I would have the battery load tested.

2) Starter solinoid. Just the solinoid can be replaced if you find an electrical rebuild shop that will sell you just it.

3) Ignition switch. Info here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html
Old 05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Check very carefully the red wire on the starter solenoid that goes to the battery. If that connection is loose or corroded, you'll get the symptoms you describe. The solenoid itself could also be bad.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen to me Friday in Ohio. I parked the car to unload luggage then started it back up about 30 minutes later to move to the shade to wipe the car off. Went to start the car up and got just the single click. I checked the battery terminals and all was good there. I checked the codes twice and nothing showed up. Being in the hotel parking lot there was no way I could get the car off the ground to check the starter connections. I had the car towed to the dealer to be checked out. I should have word tomorrow on the problem.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Check very carefully the red wire on the starter solenoid that goes to the battery. If that connection is loose or corroded, you'll get the symptoms you describe. The solenoid itself could also be bad.
Does your fuel mileage reset when this happens?
I had the exact same symptoms you describe and there was a loose connection with corrosion on the red wire.

The wire can also be corroded on the inside where you can't see it. So it might be worth the trouble to replace the wire if you don't have headers (which means extra hassle).
Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

It sounds like what mine was doing, and I ended up getting a new starter. I think it was just the solenoid that was bad, but they don't sell just the solenoid up here so the shop changed the whole starter. It wasn't a super expensive repair anyhow, the starter was under $250 and labor was only one hour.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer confirmed it was the starter, so I had it replaced yesterday. I flew back to Columbus today to pick it up and bring it back to Va.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
pinballfanatic
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the info. I don't have any codes but will look into everything posted here. I love this forum!!

Get notified of new replies

To Key in, turn and just click..then starts??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key in, turn and just click..then starts??