Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 exhaust mods - n00b seeks guidance!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM
AZhitman
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default C5 exhaust mods - n00b seeks guidance!

Loving my C5, but just like all my other cars, I can't leave well-enough alone...

I'd like to upgrade my exhaust system and have decided I'd prefer to do it all at once. I've been reading here non-stop since I joined, and I see lots of opinions on different systems, but as usual, everyone has their preference.

My primary consideration, since this car will see lots of long road trips, is sound. I'm looking for minimal "drone". My secondary consideration will be cost.

Long-tube headers and X-pipe are in the plan, but I'm not certain who offers the most bang for the buck.

Catback choices have been narrowed down to EITHER the Magnaflow #15660 (which I can get for a decent price through my company) OR a used Ti Z06 catback from someone here on the forums... I like the idea of the reduced weight of the Ti system, and the cost is significantly less than the Magnaflow... Does the Z06 system offer any additional benefits besides lighter weight?

Thanks all - Appreciate the wealth of info here!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:38 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are looking for a bit more sound go to a Corsa touring cat back.The Ti's really just sound like the base exhaust.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by AZhitman
Loving my C5, but just like all my other cars, I can't leave well-enough alone...

I'd like to upgrade my exhaust system and have decided I'd prefer to do it all at once. I've been reading here non-stop since I joined, and I see lots of opinions on different systems, but as usual, everyone has their preference.

My primary consideration, since this car will see lots of long road trips, is sound. I'm looking for minimal "drone". My secondary consideration will be cost.

Long-tube headers and X-pipe are in the plan, but I'm not certain who offers the most bang for the buck.

Catback choices have been narrowed down to EITHER the Magnaflow #15660 (which I can get for a decent price through my company) OR a used Ti Z06 catback from someone here on the forums... I like the idea of the reduced weight of the Ti system, and the cost is significantly less than the Magnaflow... Does the Z06 system offer any additional benefits besides lighter weight?

Thanks all - Appreciate the wealth of info here!
The OEM Ti system is light in weight, fits perfectly and offers minimal or almost zero drone. They sound a little better (read louder) than the stock C5 system. It really all depends on how loud you want it to be.

The only system that offers absolutely no drone is the Corsa system - there are three levels, Touring (might as well leave it stock, not much sound until you get to WOT), Pace Car or Sport, sounds great at idle, and really screams at WOT, or the Extreme which is aggressive all the time and really loud at WOT. No of these will drone, and all of these will get louder and deeper with LT headers.

Magna-flow does drone, and that's about all I can say.

If you'd like to hear what the Corsa systems sound like, feel free to give me a call and I can arrange to let you hear the difference.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:40 PM
eldudereno
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget the X-pipe and headers for now, get yourself a Borla Stinger and some sound insulation/deadening or some ear protectors for those long trips.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 PM
AZhitman
Racer

Randy, thanks for the info! I'll put the Magnaflow idea aside on your recommendation.

Does the Ti system offer any additional performance benefit (beyond the lighter weight)?

I'd hate to spend all day swapping parts with nothing more to show for it than better sound.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by AZhitman
Randy, thanks for the info! I'll put the Magnaflow idea aside on your recommendation.

Does the Ti system offer any additional performance benefit (beyond the lighter weight)?

I'd hate to spend all day swapping parts with nothing more to show for it than better sound.
Honestly Greg - none of the catback systems alone will give any performance improvement other than sound and appearance. But when you're talking about adding long tube headers, plus possibly a freer flowing intake, and then dyno-tuning, you potentially will see about a 35rwhp increase, which is very noticeable and quantifiable.

The LS6 (Z06) that came with the Ti systems made more power, but the additional output cannot in all honesty be attributed to the system. I believe the Corvette engineers were more concerned about the benefits of the lighter weight than they were about any perceived horsepower gains on that system.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

My $0.02 (Cliff note version)

I have a 03 Coupe (A4) and it is my only car (DD). First mod was the Corsa Touring (w/ X-pipe): Not much difference at idle. Nice cruise note, WOT sounds great. Little/no drone.

Added AR Headers: Deeper idle note, slightly louder cruise, WOT just screams. Little/no drone.

Added H/C: Nice deep note (lope sounds great) and at idle. Turns heads during cruise (and mild accelerations), WOT scares people (literally - I have seen people in adjacent lanes jump. :o). Again, little/no drone.

I am very pleased with the sound now.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:55 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I like the Ti's but they are more restrictive than most people here think. The may flow more than the stockers but not as well as some of the other exhausts out there. Take a look at the LG Big 3 catback. Since you're doing LT's, why not go with their system from front to back. I'm sure you can get a deal. LG is a sponsor here.

Another option is electric cutouts. They allow you to be stealth when you want to be and REALLY obnoxious when you feel froggy.

FWIW: I'm pulling the Ti's on my car and going with the Big 3 even though I have DMH cutouts. The car just runs soooo much better with the cutouts open but it's just not practical to cruise around like that. The Big 3 is fairly quiet but flows damn near as well as with the cutouts open.

Last edited by WKMCD; 05-24-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
turbocrazy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Corsa pacecar (tigershark tips) owner I can say hands down it is the best sounding and cant be beat in the drone department. Having said that I bought my car with the Corsa on it already and the first thing I said to myself was wow that exhaust is so expensive even I wouldn't buy it. It is worth every penny. You could pick up a used one in the parts section. I drove from New York to South Carolina with longtubes, high flow cats, and the corsa system and it really amazed me how quiet the car is from 70-85. However if you aren't going to run cats then I would definately stick with the Ti system as it is definately going to be a lot quieter. Good luck with your decision it's a tough one.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM
AZhitman
Racer

I will definitely run cats, AZ is stricter than CA when it comes to emissions.

Will probably pass on the electric cutouts, as much fun as they sound... I had the old manual ones back in the day.

Corsa sounds like a nice option... Hope it's not cost-prohibitive.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 AM
jornahow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank god all you Z06 guys want LOUD - so I could get a Ti catback for peanuts.

To my ears it sounds a lot better than my old 2002 base exhaust - just right don't f*** with me tone, fits perfectly, shaves pounds and will never wear out.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:35 AM
AZhitman
Racer

Originally Posted by jornahow
Thank god all you Z06 guys want LOUD - so I could get a Ti catback for peanuts.

To my ears it sounds a lot better than my old 2002 base exhaust - just right don't f*** with me tone, fits perfectly, shaves pounds and will never wear out.
I like this idea.

Now, to find one in the Phoenix area!
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 AM
XxWarderxX
Advanced

I just pulled my Ti system off and am minutes away from you.

Tips need some polishing though.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 AM
AZhitman
Racer

Sweet!

If the price is right, I'm thinking I may go that route.

EDIT: Wow, you're not kidding. I drive past your area every day! I'm near the 303 / Grand... Would love to check out your Vette and see the mods!

Last edited by AZhitman; 05-25-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

The Z06 exhaust isn't that restrictive Greg. There are plenty of 700-800rwhp C5s still using that exhaust. Even with the supercharger, I highly doubt I would see much gains going to a different catback. The Headers definitely change the sound of the exhaust for the better IMO, without being annoying. Throw a cam in there, and she screams like a banshee at WOT, yet still gives you quiet drivability for long trips.

Oh yeah, and seriously, they are super light. Both sides are as light as one side of the OEM exhaust.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:56 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have compared side by side with many of our club members vettes,Ti's vs base.No one can really hear any difference.Go after market(Corsa!)
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
blkvette98
Instructor

Default Exhaust

I have AR headers with high flow cats and TI's and am very happy with the setup. Light weight and a nice mello tone and no drone!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 exhaust mods - n00b seeks guidance!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:30 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

I have 1 3/4" ARHs with 3" catted mid section and Z06 cat back. I DO have drone under 1400 rpm! So if I am going 60 in top geat and try to accelerate it is quite loud :-(. There is another member that had the same problem. I checked the install and all is OK. It might be the combo of 1 3/4" headers with the 3" catted mid section.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vetter
I have 1 3/4" ARHs with 3" catted mid section and Z06 cat back. I DO have drone under 1400 rpm! So if I am going 60 in top geat and try to accelerate it is quite loud :-(. There is another member that had the same problem. I checked the install and all is OK. It might be the combo of 1 3/4" headers with the 3" catted mid section.
I have the LG Street Longtube Headers, 3" Bullet Hi-flow Cats, and the Ti exhaust. Only other power mod is a Procharger D1 and there is zero drone. It's very easy to have a conversation with a passenger or on the cell phone without having to talk over the exhaust. Yet at WOT she sounds great.

And here's from inside my car in 5th gear at freeway speeds with the windows down.

Last edited by JustinStrife; 05-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi/Tek/Vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Corsa's on many 'vettes ..

Quick Reply: C5 exhaust mods - n00b seeks guidance!