Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Warning Light come on!!!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Oil Warning Light come on!!!!!

So I'm driving back from Apsis (just picked up my center console wrapped in black Nappa ) on the Northern State Pkwy doing about 60 and the light comes on! The oil gauge shows oil psi dropping and I can't get over (I am in the left lane) to the shoulder because of flowing traffic. I am in a panic. Oil psi finally goes to ZERO and now I hear the engine start to tick (Feed Me!) and so I just throw on my flashers and begin to cut off everyone (I don't really care at this point) and finally make it to the shoulder. I had shut the engine off at the center lane going to the right at one point. I get out and look at the car. No oil any where. I'm like what the hell??? I smoke a cigar and check out all the codes meanwhile. All types of codes are thrown . I clear them all and after 10 min. or so I try to start her up. The engine ticks like mad and I quickly shut her down.
OK, I'm stuck.
I call 911 (because AAA would of taken hrs. to get to me) and in 20 min. I have a flatbed. Guy was real nice and took car of the car loading and unloading. I towed it to my house. Cost $175 plus a $15 tip. I then call AAA to come and get my car so I can get her down to Chris at ECS. 2 1/2 hrs later the truck comes and off I go.
3 hrs. (yes, 3 hrs!!) later I arrive at ECS. It takes me just over an hour by the way. Anyways I see Doug (didn't even recognize him..shaved his beard...looks 10 yrs younger! ) and I go , "hi, well your new, my name is Don" He goes, "Yeah, I know, I'm Doug!" I almost dropped to the floor. At least I got a laugh out of the day
Well I think the oil pump died ( This was just installed, by the way). ECS is going to look at it this Monday (hmmmm, maybe since it's there I'll get the heads installed ) anyways, anyone ever have this problem too?
Sorry for the long read, but I feel somewhat better now - Thanks
Don
Old 05-22-2010, 09:10 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't sound like a normal occurrence. Hopefully all goes smoothly, but since you went to ECS, all will be well!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

You say the low oil warning light came on and then the oil pressure started to drop. Did you check the oil level when you stopped? Sounds to me for some reason it ran out of oil.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:34 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hopefully, the bearing and cam are not wiped out. Losing oil pressure is like having a heart attack.

I'm sure the guys at ECS will take good care of you.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:29 PM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
You say the low oil warning light came on and then the oil pressure started to drop. Did you check the oil level when you stopped? Sounds to me for some reason it ran out of oil.
I had checked the oil level before I ventured out and it was fine. I did not bother to check oil level when I stopped because the bottom of the car was dry and there was no leak present
Originally Posted by ajg1915
Hopefully, the bearing and cam are not wiped out. Losing oil pressure is like having a heart attack.
Tell me about it!!!!! I'm worried about that too
I'm sure the guys at ECS will take good care of you.
Well Chris and the guy's just did all that work on my car (only have about 600 miles on the cam , etc.) so I know they will do the right thing
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi There;
Sounds like the oil pump shaft sheared in half. If you shut the engine off as soon as your pressure reached zero than thats a good thing. I had this happen on a chevy impala a long time ago. I was lucky & only had to replace the o/pump. I hope your situation turns out the same way. Let us know the out come.
Doug will take good care of you.
robsc501
Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with repairs
Old 05-23-2010, 06:48 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

It has to be something with the pump, I agree. ECS just did all the work so I'm not really worried about that part. Just hope my engine is ok. I did shut it down quickly and when I tried to start it again, it ticked (like I mentioned above) and I once again shut it off real fast.
It's just a bummer, you know. Memorial weekend is coming up too. Had plans. Oh well.
Thanks
Don
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Well, if it's just the pump; they should be able to fix that pretty quickly if they are not too backed in work at the shop.

Mechanical stuff fails, just sucks when it happens. Let us know what happens.

Originally Posted by dcd58
It has to be something with the pump, I agree. ECS just did all the work so I'm not really worried about that part. Just hope my engine is ok. I did shut it down quickly and when I tried to start it again, it ticked (like I mentioned above) and I once again shut it off real fast.
It's just a bummer, you know. Memorial weekend is coming up too. Had plans. Oh well.
Thanks
Don
Old 05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, if it's just the pump; they should be able to fix that pretty quickly if they are not too backed in work at the shop.

Mechanical stuff fails, just sucks when it happens. Let us know what happens.

Anthony
will do! Agree on the mechanical stuff! I was going to bring the car down to Chris anyways. I could not swing the heads with all the other work last go around, so I'm thinking about doing it now.
Might miss the weekend with the vette, but there is always next year maybe I should mod the Hyundai too for days like this
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Anthony
will do! Agree on the mechanical stuff! I was going to bring the car down to Chris anyways. I could not swing the heads with all the other work last go around, so I'm thinking about doing it now.
Might miss the weekend with the vette, but there is always next year maybe I should mod the Hyundai too for days like this
Well Don, I look at things this way; one modded car is more than enough for me. I went crazy there for about (5) years or so and my hobby (fun) turned into a nightmare.

Been working for awhile to clean up my mess, etc.... One modded car is more than enough for me. I don't want spend the rest of my life under the hood or chasing parts to do this or that anymore.

You did a great job with your vette over the last couple of years and it looks great. I'm slowly working on my SW Z06 and hope to have it together in the next year or so. I still have a lot of left over parts, etc ... that I need to get out of the way so that I have some room to work in and some extra $$$'s to buy everything with.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well Don, I look at things this way; one modded car is more than enough for me. I went crazy there for about (5) years or so and my hobby (fun) turned into a nightmare.

Been working for awhile to clean up my mess, etc.... One modded car is more than enough for me. I don't want spend the rest of my life under the hood or chasing parts to do this or that anymore.

You did a great job with your vette over the last couple of years and it looks great. I'm slowly working on my SW Z06 and hope to have it together in the next year or so. I still have a lot of left over parts, etc ... that I need to get out of the way so that I have some room to work in and some extra $$$'s to buy everything with.

Anthony
I was really kidding about the Hyundai thing. thanks for the kind words
I hope you get what you need to do your car exactly how YOU want it.
I know Chris and the gang will do me justice, they are a great bunch. Yes, this seems to be a problem for all of us these days...$$$$. Somehow though we manage
Old 05-23-2010, 09:32 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Anthony
I was really kidding about the Hyundai thing. thanks for the kind words
I hope you get what you need to do your car exactly how YOU want it.
I know Chris and the gang will do me justice, they are a great bunch. Yes, this seems to be a problem for all of us these days...$$$$. Somehow though we manage
Oh, I knew you were kidding about the Hyndai. I was just relating my own personnal experience to having too many modded cars and the up keep that they need.

I really just lack the time to get my projects done. I travel a bunch for work and thus I'm not home at night to spend anytime on the project.

The car sat for most of the winter and I just started buying a bunch of the parts for putting it together. I spent months figuring out just the body, suspension, brakes, running gear, etc ....

Now I'm waiting on my parts to come in and so I can begin some work. I normally take off a week in August and the last two weeks of the year in December. So hopefully I can work in between time on it once in awhile so that I can get it done by Spring 2011.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:36 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, I knew you were kidding about the Hyndai. I was just relating my own personnal experience to having too many modded cars and the up keep that they need.

I really just lack the time to get my projects done. I travel a bunch for work and thus I'm not home at night to spend anytime on the project.

The car sat for most of the winter and I just started buying a bunch of the parts for putting it together. I spent months figuring out just the body, suspension, brakes, running gear, etc ....

Now I'm waiting on my parts to come in and so I can begin some work. I normally take off a week in August and the last two weeks of the year in December. So hopefully I can work in between time on it once in awhile so that I can get it done by Spring 2011.
Wish you the best!
(still like the modded Hyundai thing )
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck and hope you get it back on the road soon!!
Old 05-23-2010, 05:22 PM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blue Dragon
Good luck and hope you get it back on the road soon!!
Thanks buddy!
I also really dig your sig!
Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 AM
dcd58
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE!
OK, here's the scoop.
After Tommy took all apart, the culprit that did this was NOT the oil pump, but the oil filter!
Do not use FRAM oil filters. I take my car to a friend who owns a C6 to do my oil changes. He has a fantastic shop. I did not know about these oil filters (I am also guessing my buddy does not know) but it seems they break down inside and when this happened to me it clogged the check valve. Once that happens - no oil pressure . Fram makes their filters with paper it seems.
So ECS cleaned the oil pan, oil pan sump, removed all oil filter debris out pickup, new oil and filter (also checked out engine..said to look brand new in there ) started her up and the wonderful sound of music came out! NO damage what so ever! Guess shutting her right down saved me a whole lot of headaches
So I'm off to Jersey (once again) to visit family for the weekend and happy to know that ECS made this happen. Thanks guy's, I know you were very busy and I really appreciate all you did

Get notified of new replies

To Low Oil Warning Light come on!!!!!

Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

I have only heard of this happening and it has nver happened to me before (Thank goodness )

Keep us posted as to the findings, the Vette couldn't be in better hands now

Thanks,Matt
Old 05-29-2010, 08:37 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Should of read the post a couple up - glad it all got worked out!

Thanks,Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Oil Warning Light come on!!!!!