Sponsored by:

[Z06] The Z needs a new engine...help me out

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:30 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
New clutch would be a good suggestion too.
No, that will be a requirement! Car will most likely be twin-turboed. The TTI kit is tempting, but we will probably build a kit from scratch.

Not sure what your real budget is.
Pretty big. See avatar of former money pit.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a stoked LS2 402 is a FANTASTIC idea. But for $8K with all the extras you need that may be pushing it.

larger radiator for all the heat.

bat wing oil pan and high volume oil pump at a min. Oil cooler would help
What do you consider hot?? My 416ci LS3 was installed Aug of 2008 and using the stock radiator and a LS3 water pump, I never see coolant temps over 210 degrees. My oil will get up in the 230s so I've been thinking about adding an oil cooler. I am using my old LS6 batwing pan, windage tray and pickup tube along with a Melling HP oil pump. Thx.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:13 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
No, that will be a requirement! Car will most likely be twin-turboed. The TTI kit is tempting, but we will probably build a kit from scratch.

Pretty big. See avatar of former money pit.
OK you KNOW.

Coolant temps in the 205-210 range 220* is pushing it for coolant. and with oil under 250*

The cooler the oil the cooler the block the more HP
Old 05-23-2010, 08:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Its NOT the HP that makes the car go fast it is the Setup and driver that makes the car go fast

Stock HP LS6 with race set up C5Z takes pole position at Mosport World Challenge
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...enge-race.html
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Well isn't that always the question.......

When faced with an engine swap on how far can I go and then try to upgrade the drive train, suspension to handle the impending performance increase?

Then reality of the budget sets the limits.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:41 AM
hobbesnmina2001
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12,'14

Good points and info!
Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dieseldave56
When faced with an engine swap on how far can I go and then try to upgrade the drive train, suspension to handle the impending performance increase?

Then reality of the budget sets the limits.
Good Questions.

I run an LS6 with a 224/224 cam and other bolt ons.

low 400 RWHP and RWTQ. Use the GM T1 Suspension.

stock Clutch and fly wheel, On second of each now.

The T1 suspension can handle quite a bit. Going to Penske T1 Coil overs is an option, but a $3600 + adds up

SKF wheel bearings to hold the power down $400 each

BBKs again $5-6 Grand plus new wheels $5-6K to fit over the BBKs.

Transmission and Diff with output shafts, upgraded clutch and flywheel to work with 450+ HP and TQ again that adds up real fast. this can easily add up well over $5-10K

Lots of HP is super sexy as hell. However all the Fastest cars have stock LS6 engines, with upgraded oiling, clutch, flywheel, drive line, suspension and brakes.

Or stock C6Zs with minor changes to the dry sump tank and brake pads.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:01 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Everyone has different ideas and dreams. Which is great and more power to the guy who has $100K to build a race car.

Many of the fastest Corvettes we see on road course are C5Zs with Stock LS6s. Even faster then most C6Zs. Why? Road courses are mostly corners, with short straights, not long straights where the C6Z shines.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by civlant
Maybe for some but if you're going through the hassle of a motor swap why not upgrade?
One reason. Warranty.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 AM
TheHitman24
Intermediate

Recently my cousin lost an ls1 in his trans am and was going to buy a crate ls6. Instead he took the factory block and had it cleaned up. Then bought a complete forged rotating assembly, Some ls6 heads and a mild 224 cam. The entire setup cost him 2 grand (doing the engine swap himself) and the car makes 400 at the tire (full bolt-on) Nice thing now is he has a fully forged motor and he will probably make use with some nitrous in the future.

You can always take your motor and forge it, Have plenty of room to grow if you want more power.
Good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nysbadmk8
Doing the install yourself or a shop doing it?

all depends on how crazy you want to go..

But in my opinion, Ls2 block, stroked to 402, forged rotating assembly, TFS 225/235 heads, 102mm lsxr intake and supporting mods

that puts you at $7000

530-550rwhp N/a all day long with a not to crazy cam.

This sounds like the right way to go. And it's be totally reliable.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

For a street C5Z, the 382 stroker is a nice and relatively inexpensive option. I ran one in my 2000 Z28 and it made 460/450 through a LS6 intake, 1 3/4 headers and didn't even have all the supporting bolt-ons. The torque "curve" was fat and flat and with a 150 wet-shot, it cranked around 650rwhp.

Having said all that, I'll probably build a 402 stroker within a couple years. So many improvements, so many great head choices...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:28 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Where did all this random BS of needing an upgraded radiator come in?? what experience do you have? if any? with a stroker motor and needing cooling???

i ran a 408 cubic inch iron block.... daily driven.... in utah desert summers... on a stock water pump, stock radiator, stock fans, 100% bone stock cooling system and some water wetter.

i NEVER saw over 210 degrees... EVER.....

anybody who sees high temps either has air bubbles in the system, or has a bag or something stuck in the front of their radiator that got picked up from the road.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:35 PM
LostCauseZ06
Racer

Good Questions.

I run an LS6 with a 224/224 cam and other bolt ons.

low 400 RWHP and RWTQ. Use the GM T1 Suspension.

stock Clutch and fly wheel, On second of each now.

The T1 suspension can handle quite a bit. Going to Penske T1 Coil overs is an option, but a $3600 + adds up

SKF wheel bearings to hold the power down $400 each

BBKs again $5-6 Grand plus new wheels $5-6K to fit over the BBKs.

Transmission and Diff with output shafts, upgraded clutch and flywheel to work with 450+ HP and TQ again that adds up real fast. this can easily add up well over $5-10K

Lots of HP is super sexy as hell. However all the Fastest cars have stock LS6 engines, with upgraded oiling, clutch, flywheel, drive line, suspension and brakes.

Or stock C6Zs with minor changes to the dry sump tank and brake pads.

This post is absolutely ridiculous....

wheel bearings to hold the power down??? really? maybe if your doing HEAVY road racing.... i daily drove my car and canyon tracked it MANY times on stock wheel bearings.

BBk's are expensive... required????? dont think so. the stock magnesium wheels are VERY VERY light wheels. not to mention 5-6 grand for tires to fit over the BBK's????? are you kidding me?? 1250 dollars per tire???

5-10k for a tranny and clutch????? wierd.. my full stage 4 built tranny guaranteed for 800 RWTQ was only 1800 dollars, and i even needed an entire new 3rd gear because mine was demolished. My clutch, which is overkill, was 1200 dollars. (Mcleod street twin)

The fastest cars are all stock LS6's????? again.... REALLY DUDE?? did it ever occur to you that they are running stock LS6's more than likely because its a class requirement?

a car, fully decked out with T1 suspension, full built drivetrain, light BBK wheels and a bad a** cooling/oil system, is somehow in some magical place going to be faster with 400 hp than the same car, with all of the additions to make it handle the power anyways, than a 6-700 HP car????

wow....
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
This post is absolutely ridiculous....

wheel bearings to hold the power down??? really? maybe if your doing HEAVY road racing.... i daily drove my car and canyon tracked it MANY times on stock wheel bearings.

BBk's are expensive... required????? dont think so. the stock magnesium wheels are VERY VERY light wheels. not to mention 5-6 grand for tires to fit over the BBK's????? are you kidding me?? 1250 dollars per tire???

5-10k for a tranny and clutch????? wierd.. my full stage 4 built tranny guaranteed for 800 RWTQ was only 1800 dollars, and i even needed an entire new 3rd gear because mine was demolished. My clutch, which is overkill, was 1200 dollars. (Mcleod street twin)

The fastest cars are all stock LS6's????? again.... REALLY DUDE?? did it ever occur to you that they are running stock LS6's more than likely because its a class requirement?

a car, fully decked out with T1 suspension, full built drivetrain, light BBK wheels and a bad a** cooling/oil system, is somehow in some magical place going to be faster with 400 hp than the same car, with all of the additions to make it handle the power anyways, than a 6-700 HP car????

wow....
Somehow this thread got hijacked and spun completely off topic by a few road racer guys. I don't think the OP was looking to build a competetive road race car; I think he was just looking to do a refresh and upgrade to his street machine. Sadly these type of off topic tangents confuse more people looking for advice than help them.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ctusser
Somehow this thread got hijacked and spun completely off topic by a few road racer guys. I don't think the OP was looking to build a competetive road race car; I think he was just looking to do a refresh and upgrade to his street machine. Sadly these type of off topic tangents confuse more people looking for advice than help them.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

When you have a choice of any motor that fits within whatever budget you decide, why go with just a stock replacement? Everything else being equal, I.E. driver skill level, suspension/tires; it's ridiculous to state a car is faster with less HP. Just 'cause that's your setup, doesn't mean it's the gold standard....pun intended. Personally, I'd go with a combo that uses a LS3 shortblock, and let budget decide displacement.

Get notified of new replies

To The Z needs a new engine...help me out

Old 05-28-2010, 10:50 PM
aweil
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LS3 crate with hot cam
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-perfor...parts/19171224

$6650 then installation, and all the parts needed to go with it.

but dont think $8K will make it.

Plus the LS6 is just darn near bullet proof
mine wasn't
Old 05-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

i think what AU N EGL was getting to with the all the fast cars run stock LS6's is because they last and then the DRIVER gets seat time.. and more seat time and more seat time.. on a track running TT's the C5Z06's are hard to beat..and yes.. AU N EGL has more than a little experience..

I guess some of us run often enough to equate track with road track and not drag track..

so let me revise my thoughts..

for the street:
-FACTORY LS6 STOCK ENGINE to keep your car as simple and maintence free as possible.. and little if any headaches..

-if your arent adverse to tinkering a stroker or FI would be fun also..

Drag Track:
no substitute for displacment

Road course:
Stock is enough for all but the most advanced semi-pro drivers

have fun with whatever you decide!! you cant take the $$$ with ya!
Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

i think what AU N EGL was getting to with the all the fast cars run stock LS6's is because they last and then the DRIVER gets seat time.. and more seat time and more seat time.. on a track running TT's the C5Z06's are hard to beat..and yes.. AU N EGL has more than a little experience..

I guess some of us run often enough to equate track with road track and not drag track..

so let me revise my thoughts..

for the street:
Option 1: -FACTORY LS6 STOCK ENGINE to keep your car as simple and maintence free as possible.. and little if any headaches..

Option 2: if you arent adverse to tinkering a stroker or FI would be fun also..

Drag Track:
no substitute for displacment

Road course:
Stock is enough for all but the most advanced semi-pro drivers

have fun with whatever you decide!! you cant take the $$$ with ya!

Quick Reply: [Z06] The Z needs a new engine...help me out