[Z06] something I noticed at a recent corvette gathering

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
LarryDallas
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nofreee
I think this sums its up pretty well.

I'm 26 and feel out of place with the older people at most meets. I wave at every Vette I see on the road, but meets are something I shy away from.

It's nothing personal, but flip the coin and look at it from a younger persons point of view. If you were a 50+ enthusiast going to a meet dominated by 18-25 year olds, you would feel out of place as well.
I'm 36 and this even applies to me. Local clubs always go on planned drives based on sight seeing, or the wax and show events. Not very exciting. I think either you are into that sort of thing or you aren't.

I have a C5Z and don't like this stuff. My dad is over 60 and has a C6Z and most of his vette activities center around the track. People are into these cars for different reasons.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
sslowss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I'm 25 and sittin at a show to bake in the sun sounds lame but besides I live in the nyc area and rarely ever see a c5z. Anybody live nearby that wants to meet up for some fun cruises and trips to the track? I just bought mine 2months and lookin to get heavy in the game
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Fromes
Advanced

yea, I'm 26 and am not quite sure I am going to attend any more corvette gatherings. They all seem to be a bunch of 50 year olds in ugly corvette themed clothes talking about how much stuff they can keep in the trunk or what kind of car bra to use. Last year I went to a corvette meet outside of saratoga, new york. The road leading to the event was a smooth winding road though nice farm country, perfect place to strech the legs of my C5Z after a long highway cruise. But I couldn't, every time I came around a corner I was met with the back end of another vette going about 5 miles below the speed limit with a license plate that reads oldnslow or Jus4us or some crap like that...I love vettes...I just wish there was meets for us people who love to drive their vettes.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Fromes
Advanced

Originally Posted by sslowss
Yea I'm 25 and sittin at a show to bake in the sun sounds lame but besides I live in the nyc area and rarely ever see a c5z. Anybody live nearby that wants to meet up for some fun cruises and trips to the track? I just bought mine 2months and lookin to get heavy in the game

I don't live far from the NYC area, If your ever in the catskills (hunter mountain) Ill be more then happy to show you some awesome roads
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
CKSIX
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSKER-Z
Now I know in Omaha every thursday night in the summer, there is a gathering off of 84th st that is corvette friendly. Go BIG RED
Old 05-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ptindall
Corvette shows are usually attended by old waxers. C5Z06s draw younger performance oriented buyers who have little interest in showing their cars in all vette shows. Those old waxers may have bought C5Z06's new, but most have moved on to C6s and passed the C5Z06s down to the performance guys. That's why their show turnout will be low. Now attend a track day at your local road course. C5Z06 turnout might be half of all vettes.
LOL
I guess im categorized as an old waxer (53), but I dont do Vette shows or if I go to one to socialize with some friends I dont really clean my car up anymore than if Im driving it down the back roads with bugs all over the front of it.

I happened upon a Vette show bout 4 years ago and all the guys around me actually had Q-Tips out cleaning their crevasses and brake calipers. I even saw several people with horsehair fine brushes cleaning off the wiper blades and vent holes to try and win some stupid trophy and knew right then and there it was time to get the hell out of there. They were kinda peevedat me that I wasnt cleaning my car up. I was cracking up some guys there with 2 week old C6's were trying to win trophies for their totally stock cars. The whole show looked like a new car lot with all of them wanting trophies...woop ee doo...

I dont do the stupid Vette wave or wear Vette clothing either. I think all that Vette personality clothing bling crap is for the birds... Yea im not your typical braggart Vette owner I guess. I could care less what the other guy has or if he gets pissed I dont wave back.
Oh I also drive my car like I stole it..just ask all the cops around here...

Last edited by Z06supercharged; 05-18-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Nofreee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
LOL
I guess im categorized as an old waxer (53), but I dont do Vette shows or if I go to one to socialize with some friends I dont really clean my car up anymore than if Im driving it down the back roads with bugs all over the front of it.

I happened upon a Vette show bout 4 years ago and all the guys around me actually had Q-Tips out cleaning their crevasses and brake calipers. I even saw several people with horsehair fine brushes cleaning off the wiper blades and vent holes to try and win some stupid trophy and knew right then and there it was time to get the hell out of there. They were kinda peevedat me that I wasnt cleaning my car up. I was cracking up some guys there with 2 week old C6's were trying to win trophies for their totally stock cars. The whole show looked like a new car lot with all of them wanting trophies...woop ee doo...

I dont do the stupid Vette wave or wear Vette clothing either. I think all that Vette personality clothing bling crap is for the birds... Yea im not your typical braggart Vette owner I guess. I could care less what the other guy has or if he gets pissed I dont wave back.

Need more 'waxers' like you.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM
HUSKER-Z
Pro

Originally Posted by CKSIX
Now I know in Omaha every thursday night in the summer, there is a gathering off of 84th st that is corvette friendly. Go BIG RED
right on bro! Yup, lots of cool people out there at flashbacks! take care!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

went to a big show in san diego this past sat..couple hundred vettes..lots of c5z06's, and two other z16's along with mine..

its always fun to see fellow Z'ers..
Old 05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
civlant
Racer

I would have to travel a couple hours to even find a corvette show so needless to say I don't go to those. I do go to 1 or 2 shows each summer since my father-in-law is a big car guy but these shows are mostly old muscle cars. In fact he shows a canary yellow '40 Plymouth Business coupe but most of the cars range from the 30's through newer cars. Out of maybe 100 cars there's usually only 1 or 2 other C5's. I think it's fun to go just to see all of the cars. The q-tips and horse brushes is a little much though. I'm about to turn 31 and I just like anything that ****s and gets and guess what - this C5Z isn't stock.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
LOL

I guess you're not. I didn't say all old guys are waxers, only that those shows are populated by guys who are both old and waxers. And I'll only consider 53 old until I turn 50. Then 53 won't be old anymore.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Funny. Here in Los Angeles, when I go to car meets I'm usually 1 of 3-4 C5Zs. Only a couple times have I been the only one, but usually theres a few here and there.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here! The only other C5Z that I know of is my dads!
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
RIKKITIK
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Hey, guess I'm a waxer too (52). NEVER went in for the 'Vette crap. When I had my '70 BB car I went to a couple all Corvette functions.
Ended up with the '70 because my '71 Cuda couldn't stop or turn, plus the '70 looked killer. But when I'd take it to Muscle car events, you get blown off at first because of the 'Vette stigma.
I like the Z for the same reasons the younger owners do, fast, unique, it can back up it's looks with performance to match. There's a few in my area, but only see one or two a week, out and about.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:54 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Corvette shows are usually attended by old waxers. C5Z06s draw younger performance oriented buyers who have little interest in showing their cars in all vette shows. Those old waxers may have bought C5Z06's new, but most have moved on to C6s and passed the C5Z06s down to the performance guys. That's why their show turnout will be low. Now attend a track day at your local road course. C5Z06 turnout might be half of all vettes.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2alex
i hardly ever see C5Zs too
that is all I ever see on the track that is.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Slovette2000
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in mid TN I see lots of C6's and C5's very rare I see a C5 Z06

Get notified of new replies

To something I noticed at a recent corvette gathering

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Beat me to it, they are also the guys wearing corvette jackets, hats, t-shirts and a corvette watch.

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 05-19-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
Tons of Zs in Atlanta.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Bruce Wayne
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fromes
yea, I'm 26 and am not quite sure I am going to attend any more corvette gatherings. They all seem to be a bunch of 50 year olds in ugly corvette themed clothes talking about how much stuff they can keep in the trunk or what kind of car bra to use. Last year I went to a corvette meet outside of saratoga, new york. The road leading to the event was a smooth winding road though nice farm country, perfect place to strech the legs of my C5Z after a long highway cruise. But I couldn't, every time I came around a corner I was met with the back end of another vette going about 5 miles below the speed limit with a license plate that reads oldnslow or Jus4us or some crap like that...I love vettes...I just wish there was meets for us people who love to drive their vettes.
HaHa...Trust me, not all of us "old waxers" drive their cars slow. Sorry we're being so poorly represented in your area. Personally, I enjoy hanging with younger vette owners. Our cars are our transgenerational link.

Quick Reply: [Z06] something I noticed at a recent corvette gathering