Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running full LG 3" exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone running full LG 3" exhaust?

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some sound clips and some helpful advice on running the LG Pro long tubes, X pipe, and 3" CBE. I did see the youtube clip of just the LG 3" CBE, but I'm wondering how it will sound with the headers and X pipe as well.

Also, what's the advice on running a full 3" system on a (for now) stock LS6? Will I lose a measurable amount of hp/tq. on the low end without the backpressure?

I'm planning on having the Vararam by then and possibly a Whiplash II cam installed at the same time of the exhaust (since they'll both require a tune).

Thank you for the help!
Old 05-17-2010, 01:19 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some sound clips and some helpful advice on running the LG Pro long tubes, X pipe, and 3" CBE. I did see the youtube clip of just the LG 3" CBE, but I'm wondering how it will sound with the headers and X pipe as well.

Also, what's the advice on running a full 3" system on a (for now) stock LS6? Will I lose a measurable amount of hp/tq. on the low end without the backpressure?

I'm planning on having the Vararam by then and possibly a Whiplash II cam installed at the same time of the exhaust (since they'll both require a tune).

Thank you for the help!
My car is at England Green right now having a cam installed. Are you running the stock rear end/gears? The Mayhem II cam is going to make more torque than the whiplash cam. I've got a built rear end and I'm drag racing the car. I decided against the Whiplash on the stock block. I spent a lot of time talking to Stephen and Jason at the shop, and I think you might want to talk to them about that cam. It should make similar HP numbers, and will probably work better if you are running the stock gears.

I can't help you on the exhaust. I'm running TSP 1 3/4 headers, stock TI exhaust with DHM electric cutouts(worth around 10hp)

Last edited by winters97gt; 05-17-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say I really feel on the axle back side the actual flow rating of the muffler is the biggest concern but I would imagine that 3" LGs would still create sufficient backpressure to not completely kill low end torque. The design of the headers themselves are more tailored to power under the curve than peak numbers, if anything the 3" might give you some more peak numbers. Either way LG does significant testing on their products, so I'd say they would be the ones to ask for their recommendation. I say buy the upgrade for future mods, even at the sacrifice of some numbers now. Your car is still going to run way better than stock with a full 3 inch system and will only benefit more from future upgrades.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by winters97gt
My car is at England Green right now having a cam installed. Are you running the stock rear end/gears? The Mayhem II cam is going to make more torque than the whiplash cam. I've got a built rear end and I'm drag racing the car. I decided against the Whiplash on the stock block. I spent a lot of time talking to Stephen and Jason at the shop, and I think you might want to talk to them about that cam. It should make similar HP numbers, and will probably work better if you are running the stock gears.

I can't help you on the exhaust. I'm running TSP 1 3/4 headers, stock TI exhaust with DHM electric cutouts(worth around 10hp)
Yes I'm on stock rear end. I won't be drag racing more than a couple times a year if that. I'll cross the cam bridge when I get there, but my initial thought was the Whiplash II.

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
I'm going to say I really feel on the axle back side the actual flow rating of the muffler is the biggest concern but I would imagine that 3" LGs would still create sufficient backpressure to not completely kill low end torque. The design of the headers themselves are more tailored to power under the curve than peak numbers, if anything the 3" might give you some more peak numbers. Either way LG does significant testing on their products, so I'd say they would be the ones to ask for their recommendation. I say buy the upgrade for future mods, even at the sacrifice of some numbers now. Your car is still going to run way better than stock with a full 3 inch system and will only benefit more from future upgrades.
You're right on par with my train of thought. Even if I lose a marginal amount of torque now, it'd be more beneficial to get something I can work with down the line and not have to replace. I'll give them a shout soon and see what they say.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

I have the Stainless Works 3" Catback with 1 7/8 AR Headers on my Blowin Setup and they work just fine for me and the catback that LG did is a close copy of my setup according to SW
Old 05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

^ They do look to be pretty similar both in design...and price.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Here is my buddy's car. 2001 Z06, stock displacement, Blackwing cold air, trick flow heads, fast intake, lg g5x3 cam (114), lg pro long tubes 1 7/8's, x pipe, lg Big Three 3" over axle, and high flow cats. Full 3" exhaust from the headers back. I might have missed a few mods, but you get the idea. The exhaust isn't obnoxiously loud like some, but it does create a lot of interior resonance. You can't really drive in 4th gear at regular city speeds, it's just too boomy. Full throttle is really awesome though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybyqSn88Bx0

Oh, and the exhaust back pressure measured out to be 1.5 pounds on each side for this particular application. The stock titanium system tested 3 pounds one side and over 5 on the other. It was thought that the muffler baffles on the one side were somehow comprised.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingy74
Here is my buddy's car. 2001 Z06, stock displacement, Blackwing cold air, trick flow heads, fast intake, lg g5x3 cam (114), lg pro long tubes 1 7/8's, x pipe, lg Big Three 3" over axle, and high flow cats. Full 3" exhaust from the headers back. I might have missed a few mods, but you get the idea. The exhaust isn't obnoxiously loud like some, but it does create a lot of interior resonance. You can't really drive in 4th gear at regular city speeds, it's just too boomy. Full throttle is really awesome though!

Oh, and the exhaust back pressure measured out to be 1.5 pounds on each side for this particular application. The stock titanium system tested 3 pounds one side and over 5 on the other. It was thought that the muffler baffles on the one side were somehow comprised.

Nice car he has there!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z0 SIC
Nice car he has there!
Yeah, he sure likes it. I get to ride around in it quite a bit. It's pretty rare in Speedway White too.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Stingy74

Does he have any videos of revving, or driving?

He should take some if he doesn't
Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
Does he have any videos of revving, or driving?

He should take some if he doesn't
Here is one from when I ran at the Texas Mile on my way to hitting 190MPH over the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9miUQ...layer_embedded

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running full LG 3" exhaust?

Quick Reply: Anyone running full LG 3" exhaust?