Sponsored by:

Passenger Window will not go down

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Laserdude
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Passenger Window will not go down

I bought a '99 with 20,000 miles on it a few months ago. I ran the passenger window down and up a couple of times last weekend. I tried to run it down tonight and it just clicks and nothing moves. Anyone know what to do?

Thanks, Ron
Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Go to the C5 Tech page and open the "Important Electrical Information" sticky and start reading. There is a ton of valuable information there. You may find that it is something as simple as a bad ground.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:59 AM
wikd 04
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My window will get stuck some times I just press the up down really quick and then it works!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:15 AM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

While holding the window button down, hit the door panel forcefully a few times. Sometimes that frees it up. Likely it will only be temporary if it works though. Eventually you'll probably need a new passenger window motor assembly.

Do you have a warranty on it?
Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 AM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in the same boat only both my windows are now acting up. (99 FRC)

I read all the problem solving threads and here's what I did so far.

1. Checked and cleaned all the grounds (they still didn't work)

2. Checked door jam connectors (I actually eliminated them and spliced every wire together individually with crimped shrink connectors) (they still didn't work)

3. Removed door panels, inspected all connectors (they still didn't work)

4. Removed window regulator & motor, removed motor from regulator, pluged motor into wiring and the motor worked!!!!!!!

5. Put every thing back together and they worked (but only for a minute)

6. Next morning they worked again , then after a drive they didn't , then later they worked again , now they don't

Hope I helped you out

I think it's the BCM acting up???
Old 05-16-2010, 07:51 AM
2_99_c5s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. The window regulators are extremely expensive new. I was able to get a replacement rebuilt (motor only) from ebay for $40. I opened up the door, removed the window regulator, removed the motor, and reazlised that the motor worked fine. Put everything back together and it worked fine. I didn't even need the new motor.

Taking apart the door is easy (there's a link with pics in the DIY thread under fixing locks/window relays that shows how to remove the panel that has pictures). Remove the cover and two screws behand the door handle. Pry up the window/lock button. Then pry the door panel out. I forgete whether you have to remove the speaker, but remove the soft black inner door piece (which is attached with a tar like adhesive). Then you can see the window regulator. Remove the bolts that attach the window and remove it (carefully). Then remove the regulator. I believe there are 3 screw that hold the motor to the door, and 4 (two on each bar) that hold the regulator in place. Remove it from the car, take out the motor, respool the cables, and put it all back in. Worked for me and I didn't need to spend a penny. Took about 3 hours (spooling the cable around the motor is a very frustrating step). Good luck.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:17 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Run through all the diagnostics codes. See if it is throwing a RDCM code. (Right Door Control Module).

If it is, likely one of the relays in that 'conrol unit'. I've got a Left Side LDCM I found off of the auction site and have never needed to use it as I went the Digikey relay repair route.

That was fairly easy, but a really high quality soldering gun/pen and desoldering braid are a must. The entire board (and the relays) are covered with some sort of 'skin' that has to be carefully cut to R&R the relay. I sealed mine back up by dripping candle wax all over the board to reseal it after the new one was soldered in place. About 1 1/2 hour job start to finish including R&R the door panels.

Somewhere on here there is a good link/write-up on it.

Good Luck ---->
Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 AM
Black$heep
Drifting

The passenger windows are known for sticking in the up position. Push on the down button and then give the door a few outward taps. Or you can take the door panel off and tap on the back side of the regulator with a screw driver while pushing the down button. That shold do the trick. There is nothing wrong with the motor itself. They had problems with the gear tolerances for the passenger window regulators.

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Window will not go down

Quick Reply: Passenger Window will not go down