Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL Oil ??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
berryvette
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

My question was not to start a debate, but to find out experiences of those who have used it. I think Mobil 1 is an excellent oil but if i am like all other corvette owners we want the best for our cars and if i can buy it and use it 3 times longer than other oils why wouldn't I. Its not about daily driving or spirited driving its about using the best product in my Z06 that's out there. AMSOIL may not make a short term difference but it could prolong engine wear and maybe your first major breakdown is at 250,000 miles instead of 150,000 miles, who knows.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:38 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by berryvette
I want to know if anyone has any factual opion on AMSOIL Oil in their cars and does it lower the temperature as it claims. I just read a 28 page lab comparison test performed by The American Petroleum Institute (API) on AMSOIL versus 9 other full synthetics including Mobil 1 and Royal Purple and it decimated them in all catagories such as vescosity breakdown, shear wear, foaming, oxidation protection and many other tests. And the change interval is 25,000 miles between oil changes that AMSOIL states. What are your thoughts and experience? This lap test is on the AMSOIL website.
FYI, that test was not done by the API, but comissioned by AMSOIL, though I still find the results useful.

As for facts, a little hard to pull from opinions. I did run the AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic 0w30 (Product Code SSOQT) in my 06 CTS-V (LS2 engine) and did used oil analysis samples with it. Here are the results:
Cadillac CTS-V Used Oil Analysis - AMSOIL 0w30
Note: The June 07 sample was M1, the rest AMSOIL 0w30. If you have not read one of these before, wear metals are aluminum, iron, copper and lead. Calcium is a detergent. TBN is the total base number of the oil and a measure of both its acidity at the end of the test (lower is worse) and its useful remaining life. Phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear additives, but phosphorus is limited in API SM/ILSAC GF-4 oils to 800 ppm.

FYI, for all, I can get you 25% off retail via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM for more info or exact pricing.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 AM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

I want to know if anyone has any factual opion on AMSOIL Oil in their cars and does it lower the temperature as it claims. I just read a 28 page lab comparison test performed by The American Petroleum Institute (API) on AMSOIL versus 9 other full synthetics including Mobil 1 and Royal Purple and it decimated them in all catagories such as vescosity breakdown, shear wear, foaming, oxidation protection and many other tests. And the change interval is 25,000 miles between oil changes that AMSOIL states. What are your thoughts and experience? This lap test is on the AMSOIL website.
I really like amsoil... for whatever reason I was burning about half a quart of oil every 1k miles or so with medium usage... I thought this was pretty normal for a sports car, but I switched to amsoil a year ago, and harly burn any oil
Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anybody personally experienced an engine failure from any brand of oil, dino or synthetic? I have nothing against AMSOIL (use it in my six speed), but I'll use MOBIL 1 in the motor until GM says different. Isn't it great we have freedom to chose?

I do like AMSOIL in my bbq marinade.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 05-16-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Has anybody personally experienced an engine failure from any brand of oil, dino or synthetic?
Unfortunately, there are many documented cases of blown engines on this forum, though largely from people who track their cars.

I lost my original stock engine running Mobil 1 20w50 way back in 03 in my first season with the SCCA (which is what prompted my shift to AMSOIL). In my case, I seized the bearings in #3,4 pistons. Probably due to insufficient bearing clearance, but I still wonder if a better oil would have prevented failure until the end of the season.

The LS3's are having a terrible time on the track and the SCCA has now allowed a dry sump for that engine. And there are many cases of the LS7s failing due to various causes, most not bearing failures.

If you search "engine failure" on this forum, you will likely find much sad reading.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Has anybody personally experienced an engine failure from any brand of oil, dino or synthetic? I have nothing against AMSOIL (use it in my six speed), but I'll use MOBIL 1 in the motor until GM says different. Isn't it great we have freedom to chose?

I do like AMSOIL in my bbq marinade.

Like Mentioned here and in other threads, Many, many people have driven their Corvttes and other personal vehicles up to and beyong 300.000 miles using Mobil-1 synthetic. I have had nothing but excellant service from Mobil-1. I know and I respect any one elses opinion on a different motor oil. Good luck and god bless you and all of your experiences with any other motor oil. I am not a chemical engineer so I have to believe that GM and the other twenty or so automobile manufactures who use Mobil-1 as their Factory Fill, and I find it difficult to think they use it because there's not a better motor oil. But I find the idea that they were paid to use Mobil-1 ridiculous.

But to all of you who have had excellant services with Amsoil or Castrol or Pennsoil, fine, I hope your engine goes on for many thousands of miles. Hopefully you'll see many, many more good service from whatever you pour into the crankcase.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:00 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default OP's question

Originally Posted by Z0 SIC
I have used Royal Purple ever since I was 16 in my first car, I have never had any problems oil related while using RP!
So does that mean you don't have any factual opinion on Amsoil?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
Like Mentioned here and in other threads, Many, many people have driven their Corvttes and other personal vehicles up to and beyong 300.000 miles using Mobil-1 synthetic. I have had nothing but excellant service from Mobil-1. I know and I respect any one elses opinion on a different motor oil. Good luck and god bless you and all of your experiences with any other motor oil. I am not a chemical engineer so I have to believe that GM and the other twenty or so automobile manufactures who use Mobil-1 as their Factory Fill, and I find it difficult to think they use it because there's not a better motor oil. But I find the idea that they were paid to use Mobil-1 ridiculous.

But to all of you who have had excellant services with Amsoil or Castrol or Pennsoil, fine, I hope your engine goes on for many thousands of miles. Hopefully you'll see many, many more good service from whatever you pour into the crankcase.
How do you find that ridiculous, Mobil is one of the biggest oil company's in the world, this was a great way to expand there name even more. I don't see how this is not possible. I mean seriously this is a "OIL" Company were talking about last time I checked gas and oil prices have not gone down, it always has and always be about the money. Now im not saying they outright paid them but im sure they did say hey we will give you all the oil you need to fill up your vehicles for the next 10 years if you put our logo on all your oil caps.

So I guess if what your saying is true, that if GM, Porsche, Ford ect....All say hey when we first fill up our cars with gas we use nothing but Wal-Mart Gas brand and nothing else. So dose that mean its the best out there b/c they use it and there a logo on our gas caps?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Z0 SIC
How do you find that ridiculous, Mobil is one of the biggest oil company's in the world, this was a great way to expand there name even more. I don't see how this is not possible. I mean seriously this is a "OIL" Company were talking about last time I checked gas and oil prices have not gone down, it always has and always be about the money. Now im not saying they outright paid them but im sure they did say hey we will give you all the oil you need to fill up your vehicles for the next 10 years if you put our logo on all your oil caps.

So I guess if what your saying is true, that if GM, Porsche, Ford ect....All say hey when we first fill up our cars with gas we use nothing but Wal-Mart Gas brand and nothing else. So dose that mean its the best out there b/c they use it and there a logo on our gas caps?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:56 PM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
LOL I give up......... I was just trying to say that yes Mobil-1 is a really great oil but the best...... probably not.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

They must think people are complete fools to believ their rigged tests like that. The only thing Amsoil will do for you is lighten your wallet.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by ztheusa
They must think people are complete fools to believ their rigged tests like that. The only thing Amsoil will do for you is lighten your wallet.
And there you have it.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
So you're saying Amsoil will give me a power to weight ratio advantage?!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Diva Toy
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Many substitutes for Mobil 1. Things change with time, thus so does oil. Mobil 1 is not bad, but improvements in the industry are always raising the bar. My advice: balance cost, performance and your comfort zone and then pick your oil. Google produced the following link/list:

GM Approved Engine Oil
High Performance Engine Oil Specifications

GM4718M Registered Products
Revision Date: 1-June-2009

Product Name/ SAE Viscosity / Grades
76 Super Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 10W-30
AC Delco Full Synthetic 5W-30
Castrol Edge 5W-30, 10W-30
Castrol SLX Professional 4718 5W-30
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Coastal High Performance Full Synthetic 5W-30
Kendall GT-1 Ultimate Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 10W-30
Mobil 1
0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30,
10W-30
Northland, Synergy Synthetic 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Pinnacle National Synthetic 5W-30
Q HorsePower 5W-30, 10W-30
Service Pro Full Synthetic 5W-30
Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, 10W-30
Warren Full Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 PM
berryvette
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Well guys this discussion is interesting and there are alot of opions out there, i am looking for facts about the oils comparrison by Vette Owners and the only one I have seen so far was from Subdriver. Does anyone else have any comparisons facts ( not beliefs or personal opinion) but facts based off them using different oils and camparison.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:43 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I'm on my phone right now so I don't have the link, but google "Bob the oil guy" and look at all the oil analysis records done for Amsoil and compare them with other oils. It's no longer opinions. It's science. It's a proven fact that the engine wears better with Amsoil than Mobil1. Enough tests have been performed to make an informed decision.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mobil 1 is 100% full synthetic.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Qs.aspx#FAQs22

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
When I heard that Mobil1 burns faster and loses it's viscosity much faster than RP, RL and Amsoil, I started doing research.

Mobil1's base stock changed from full synthetic to a group 3 synthetic. RP also is a group 3 synthetic.

The major difference between Amsoil and Mobil1 is that Amsoil is 100% synthetic because it's a group 4 synthetic. It will definitely out-perform Mobil1 in all aspects.

That's not to say it's bad to use Mobil1. My next oil change, however, will be Amsoil. I don't even know what's in the car now since I just got it. My last oil change on the other Z was Penzoil Platinum, which I believe is also a group 3 and it worked just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL Oil ??????

Old 05-17-2010, 02:57 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2KFRC5
LOL! It's a group 3 full synthetic... That doesn't make it a full synthetic. They're allowed to call it a full synthetic even though the base stock is still crude oil.

Supreme court ruled that group 3 oils (crude base stock with synthetic additives) is allowed to be called a full synthetic because there's such a high concentrated amount of synthetic additives. Group 2 oil (also crude oil based) is considered a blend because there isn't enough synthetics in it to be called a group 3 oil.

Note the following:
What's the difference between a fully synthetic and a synthetic blend motor oil?

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional base oil.
This is just double talk and tap-dancing around the question. They're basically saying it's OK to call themselves a full synthetic because "In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids." HOWEVER, group 4 oils do not contain crude oil as their base which is why they're far more expensive than group 3 oils.

IMO, it's BS and they shouldn't be allowed to say they're full synthetic if they're really not full synthetic. Mobil1 thought the same thing before they sued Castrol for calling themselves 100% synthetic when they were in-fact just group 3 oil.

Here are the oil groups and their explanations:
http://www.pecuniary.com/faq/oil-base-stock.html

As you can see, Mobil1 is not a 100% full synthetic even though they advertise that they are.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 AM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do I know what motor oil is a Group IV (4) based PAO synthetic motor oil?
As more and more large oil companies switched their "synthetic" motor oils to the less expensive/more profitable Group III (3) base stocks it has become much easier to identify which are PAO based true synthetic. Of the large oil companies, only Mobil 1, as of this writing (12-15-2007), is still a PAO based true synthetic. The rest, including Castrol Syntec, have switched to the cheaper/more profitable Group III (3) petroleum based "synthetic" motor oil. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils are PAO based true synthetic motor oils with the exception of the short oil drain XL-7500 synthetic motor oils sold at some Auto Parts Stores and Quick Oil Change Centers. This leaves more than 20 PAO based true synthetic motor oils manufactured and marketed by AMSOIL with only 4 Group III (3) based synthetic motor oils identified by the "XL-7500" product name.

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/m...ity/index.html

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
LOL! It's a group 3 full synthetic... That doesn't make it a full synthetic. They're allowed to call it a full synthetic even though the base stock is still crude oil.

Supreme court ruled that group 3 oils (crude base stock with synthetic additives) is allowed to be called a full synthetic because there's such a high concentrated amount of synthetic additives. Group 2 oil (also crude oil based) is considered a blend because there isn't enough synthetics in it to be called a group 3 oil.

Note the following:

This is just double talk and tap-dancing around the question. They're basically saying it's OK to call themselves a full synthetic because "In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids." HOWEVER, group 4 oils do not contain crude oil as their base which is why they're far more expensive than group 3 oils.

IMO, it's BS and they shouldn't be allowed to say they're full synthetic if they're really not full synthetic. Mobil1 thought the same thing before they sued Castrol for calling themselves 100% synthetic when they were in-fact just group 3 oil.

Here are the oil groups and their explanations:
http://www.pecuniary.com/faq/oil-base-stock.html

As you can see, Mobil1 is not a 100% full synthetic even though they advertise that they are.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:13 PM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can anyone name all the group IV oils ?
is amsoil the only one ?

Quick Reply: AMSOIL Oil ??????