Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2003 Z06 Window "Plastic" Trim Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:51 PM
zeagen
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2003 Z06 Window "Plastic" Trim Cracked

I have a 2003 Z06 and just recently noticed that both sides of my window trim (black plastic) is cracked. The driver side has three separate cracks. Is this a known issue with the C5 and/or Z06's? The car
Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Soundman69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I just glued mine back.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zeagen
I have a 2003 Z06 and just recently noticed that both sides of my window trim (black plastic) is cracked. The driver side has three separate cracks. Is this a known issue with the C5 and/or Z06's? The car
Just an aging problem. Just noticed that mine has a crack on the passenger side.

Contact Gene@gmpartshouse.com and he'll get you fixed up.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Just an aging problem. Just noticed that mine has a crack on the passenger side.

Contact Gene@gmpartshouse.com and he'll get you fixed up.
Not to turn the thread another direction, but how hard is this to replace yourself?? I have an '02 and currently only my passenger side is cracked (thanks to C5longhorn to pointing that out to me) Just kidding Rick

Hopefully this question will get noticed and answered soon

-Ed
Old 05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar
Not to turn the thread another direction, but how hard is this to replace yourself?? I have an '02 and currently only my passenger side is cracked (thanks to C5longhorn to pointing that out to me) Just kidding Rick

Hopefully this question will get noticed and answered soon

-Ed
Pretty easy to do as I have done these quite a few times now

Basically open the door and pull the on the rubber weather stripping and it shoul come out of the channel (metal). Becareful not to rip it, the use of heat gun is sometimes needed.

Once you get the rubber stripping out you'll see some screw heads (phillips) that need to be removed.

Once these are removed, apply a little heat and work off the metal chnanel piece and then the plastic trim molding.

Clean everything up nicely and use some clear silicone on the black piece to seal the edges then install the metal channel and screws and re-install the weather stripping.
The following users liked this post:
Naturally Vain (02-27-2018)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Basically open the door and pull the on the rubber weather stripping and it shoul come out of the channel (metal). Becareful not to rip it, the use of heat gun is sometimes needed.

Once you get the rubber stripping out you'll see some screw heads (phillips) that need to be removed.

Once these are removed, apply a little heat and work off the metal chnanel piece and then the plastic trim molding.

Clean everything up nicely and use some clear silicone on the black piece to seal the edges then install the metal channel and screws and re-install the weather stripping.
Thanks for the explanation! My passenger side is cracked and have always wondered what it entailed to fix it.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,952 Likes on 5,345 Posts

Not always that easy. Those are the same parts that have to be removed to replace the windshield and are the same ones that leak after many windshields have been replaced. If you use the wrong type of sealant when trying to stop leaks you can actually make them more likely.

If you replace the strips make sure you keep your original blow out clips as GM doesn't sell them any more.

Bill
Old 05-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Big Kidd
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. This should help lots of Z owners.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:06 PM
dragon84
Drifting

That kept happening to me a few years ago after I started modding the car. The dealer actually replaced them for me under warranty. It was listed as one of the issues with the Z06. I replaced the aluminum "dog bone" tunnel plate with a ceramic coated steel plate from Elite Engineering and a hard bar that attached at the seat belt points. After that no more broken little plastic pieces.

Tom
Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not always that easy. Those are the same parts that have to be removed to replace the windshield and are the same ones that leak after many windshields have been replaced. If you use the wrong type of sealant when trying to stop leaks you can actually make them more likely.

If you replace the strips make sure you keep your original blow out clips as GM doesn't sell them any more.

Bill
Hmm...with my luck the darn thing would leak. Something to think about.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Big Kidd
Great write up. This should help lots of Z owners.
I'll try and take some pictures when I get around to fixing mine. I gotta call Gene@gmpartshouse.com and order me one up first.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Both of mine are cracked (driver & passenger side). Very hard to notice so my plan right now is to leave it alone. If you screw up the weatherstripping it will cost big to replace it.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I just found this thread. Glad I could help Ed I have the same problem and was wondering how difficult the replacement job was. Not sure if I'm going to tackle it yet or not.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My driver's side window trim was replaced 3 times during the first year. I haven't had a problem since the 3rd replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 Z06 Window "Plastic" Trim Cracked

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2003 Z06 Window "Plastic" Trim Cracked