Sponsored by:

HD Radio... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
bma2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HD Radio... worth it?

I've installed a new Alpine head to give me Ipod control via USB. While I'm installing new head I can add their HD radio, but it will require it's own power and finding a place to put the module. It's about the size of a booster subwoofer amp.

Question is, is it worth it? I'm in a fairly rural area and probably have few if any stations that will have the multiple broadcast channels. Is the digital sound noticeably better or is the main advantage the multi-channel option?

I'd like to hear the pros and cons from those that have installed HD.

Thanks, bma2
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Vegas Vette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by bma2
I've installed a new Alpine head to give me Ipod control via USB. While I'm installing new head I can add their HD radio, but it will require it's own power and finding a place to put the module. It's about the size of a booster subwoofer amp.

Question is, is it worth it? I'm in a fairly rural area and probably have few if any stations that will have the multiple broadcast channels. Is the digital sound noticeably better or is the main advantage the multi-channel option?

I'd like to hear the pros and cons from those that have installed HD.

Thanks, bma2

I have it in my Z06 but hardly ever use it if i had to do again I most likely would not install it.

It depends on how many HD stations are in your area really.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Castrellon
Racer

Loook here. Station guide, find a station for your city. That'll let you know if there's any near you and whether it's worth it or not. I have a more stations here than I have preset channels, but most are not rock, which is my preference. But, when I go to Ft. Worth/Dallas area or Houston for races, there's more that I can listen to and I leave those presets on too. I go there for races or vacations, so it's worth it to me. The sound quality is a lot better too. Just wish all the stations had Artist/song name info loaded. Then there's the headache of signal dropping out in certain areas. On my Pioneer, I have to switch from external>aux 1>USB>tuner> and then back to external to pick up the signal again. Maybe headache is not the right word, more of a bother.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:05 AM
bma2
Instructor

Assuming the station is broadcasting in digital, is the improvement in sound quality obvious with rock music, since that's what I listen to mostly, or is it only gonna be noticeable with classical music?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

my response is no. the suggestion to look in your area for available HD stations is a good one. in my area the number is just around 10 (i think the last time i checked it was either 9 or 11 i just don;t remember). in my opinion, that doesn't warrant the money for something you probably won't even use to any great extent. the content was no different than the rest of the available non HD stuff in my area, so i passed. i have a sirius sportster 4 that i move from my DD to my vette whenever i take it out. all that cost me was an extra docking station for the vette which was about 1/2 the cost of the HD radios if not even less.

Last edited by srs244; 01-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to me. Especially when you can get free HD radio via a couple of iPhone apps.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I hooked up a Ipod 2 car and only listen to that.... unless I want the news, sports & traffic report... Rarely do I listen to the radio station - yeah, an old fart.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 AM
Castrellon
Racer

Assuming the station is broadcasting in digital, is the improvement in sound quality obvious with rock music, since that's what I listen to mostly, or is it only gonna be noticeable with classical music?
I'm a blue blood rocker. Both my parents are rockers. I can tell you this: If it's new rock, hell yes. Any thing from the hair bands seems to sound the same, just the high hats and crashes sound better. Then going back to the 70's arena rock or older sounds pretty good depending on the bands sound engineer. I have one of those monsters of rock sets and it sounds pretty cheesy on CD. Think I just got burned. Pink Floyd and Led Zep sound awesome.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:03 AM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think so
Old 01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
bma2
Instructor

So the consensous is, if your a rock 'n' roll guy, HD radio is NOT worth it... since it'll require a fair amount of effort to find space for the module and then run the 3 necessary cable to the thing.

Any dissenters???

bma2
Old 01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Castrellon
Racer

So the consensous is, if your a rock 'n' roll guy, HD radio is NOT worth it... since it'll require a fair amount of effort to find space for the module and then run the 3 necessary cable to the thing.

Any dissenters???

bma2
The splitting of channels is nice. When commercials come on the base channel, I can switch to the secondary and continue rocking. There is space behind the air bag module, that's where mine is. Got mine done at Custom Sound. They're a national chain. Just make sure that they show you the adapters and install kit before they put it in. They told me they had the parts, tore it apart then told me they didn't have the right adapters/kit. Had to wait a week for it to come in from Dallas.
I'm satisfied.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Sirius/XM Satalite Radio Yes! (But not HD)

HD radio is really not necessary, IMO due to road noise engine noise and other noises I really could not imagine it being any better than getting clear Satalite reception!

I have Sirius Satalite radio in all my vehicles and really have clear radio and can't see a need for HD!

HD TV ohhhhh yeah

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM
AVENGER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

HD radio is really not necessary, IMO due to road noise engine noise and other noises I really could not imagine it being any better than getting clear Satalite reception!

I have Sirius Satalite radio in all my vehicles and really have clear radio and can't see a need for HD!

HD TV ohhhhh yeah

Thanks,Matt
I Agree
Sirius/XM Radio is the way to GEAUX!!
Installed my head unit last year and was faced with the same question. With my Ipod & XM, who needs HD Radio.......................

My 2 cents!

Bottom line, do what's right for you.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmatt9471

I have heard it and really couldn't tell much of a difference if any. Maybe it was the system or me I don't know.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM
hdradioguy53
1st Gear

Default You Might Be Surprised

I also live in a rural area, but I was shocked at how many HD stations I was able to pick up on my HD radio. It usually takes a little bit to scan before it picks the stations up, but It does have reach. All in all, I'd say its worth it.

If you go to this site and use the search form on the home page, it will show you all of the stations in your area. If you can't find your city in the list, just pick the closest city. Oh, and you can see ratings for the different stations. Hope this helps!

http://hdradionow.com
Old 08-20-2010, 11:32 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have XM in two of my three cars. The Cadillac also has an "Auxiliary Input Jack" and a six disc CD changer in the dash. My Black car has XM, plus a 12 disc CD changer....the Pace Car has only a CD player in the dash plus the standard AM/FM. I never listen to terrestrial radio anymore, too many damn commercials and talk.

On the rare occasion I'm driving the Pace Car, I just make sure that I have a couple of CD's along....and if I'm REALLY desperate, I'll turn on the radio. But terrestrial radio sucks.....I'd pass on the HD too.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:30 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

If they still offered the small units about the size of a Sirius radio I would try HD. I am tired of my Sirius SAT radio.....to many dropped signals........very annoying

Get notified of new replies

To HD Radio... worth it?

Quick Reply: HD Radio... worth it?