Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the dumbest thing ever asked about your C5? I have a good one!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

For the 'Stupidest' version of a long running one (23 pages, 443 posts & 27,750 views)
see http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1717972

It was finally retired today. RIP

Last edited by cor28vettes; 05-05-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver84
I am part of a local Corvette Club. They are great people, and all of the club members are AT LEAST middle aged, most of them being retirement age. Two friends and myself are the token "Youngsters" in the club, them being 26 and 24 and myself being 26.

The club has over 200 members, so I don't know everybody and vice-versa. I showed up a club event and had two great questions that night, both from older ladies:

"Are you Bill's grandson?" Haha...no

And my favorite: "Are you a future Corvette owner?"

My reply: "Yes, but I am also a current owner."

Tell them you are AND they are Nonmembers:

APPLICATION FOR NON-MEMBERSHIP
NON-CLUB CLUB

I, ____________________ SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO PAY NO DUES, NEVER TO VOTE ON ANY MATTER OR ACTIVITY, TO JUST SHOW UP WHENEVER MY PRESENCE IT NOT REQUIRED AT BUT IS ALLOWED, THAT I WILL NEVER COME TO ANY NON CLUB CLUB NON OFFICIAL ACTIVITY IN ANY CAR OR TRUCK THAT COULD BE DESIGNATED BY ANY OTHER NON CLUB CLUB NON MEMBER AS A "RICER". I FURTHER PLEDGE TO SCORN AND PHYSICALLY FIGHT IF DEEMED NECESSAY BY A NON VOTE OF THE MAJORITY OF NON MEMBERS ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY NON PREAPPROVED "UN" MEMBER TO NOT WANT TO BECOME A NON MEMBER IN THE NON CLUB CLUB WHO APPLYS FOR SAID NON MEMEBERSHIP IF SAID NON APPLICANT DOES NOT OWN AT LEAST ONE

CORVETTE

SO HELP ME, BOWLING GREEN

SIGNED___________________ DATE_______________

Please print, sign and date, then destroy in a manner that leaves no evidence whatsoever!

Then ask them to read these:

THE NON CLUB CLUB of OKLAHOMA OR ANYWHERE

THE NONRULES AND WHYLAWS

SECTION ONE – THE NONRULES

1. There are no Rules!
2. See nonrule number 1.

SECTION TWO – THE WHYLAWS

1. The Whylaws are not needed but since they are required for some unknown reason we have agreed to not have the following:
a. No one shall be excluded from nonmembership unless they don’t own a Corvette, know someone who does, never wants to own one, or thinks that Corvettes suck.
b. Dues will not be accepted at any time! If you feel the need to buy something, buy a beer, lunch, dinner or a very expensive mod for another nonmember.
c. Compliments on a nonmember’s Vette are encouraged but not required unless you are trying to trick another nonmember into complying with 1.b. above. Then it might be a good idea.
d. Trash talking on the Corvette Forum, in person, or on any other semi-acceptable form of communication is very much encouraged, but, not required.
e. Modding of any Corvette is permissible at any time for any reason even if no one understands or agrees with the mod in nonquestion.
f. No votes are considered binding for any reason whatsoever for whatever the vote was taken for because,,,,,no votes can be counted because no voting will be allowed or recognized. See Nonrule number 1.
g. Aspirin is the recommended, but non required drug to ingest before reading further.
h. Non Club Club of Oklahoma nonevents are non sanctioned by anybody, any Body unless the nonmembers nonagree that it is cool to show up or not.
i. A fully nonsanctioned Non Club Club of Oklahoma event is defined as anytime one or more nonmembers do anything while doing that function within 10,000 miles of their Corvette or if the nonmember thinks about their Corvette within three and one half weeks of performing the aforementioned thing they were doing.
j. Any nonmember can be identified as driving or parking any Vette as either really clean or really filthy or anywhere in between at anytime unless it is real dark. Then, and only then, unless nobody cares or notices, can such identification and description be a matter of discussion or not.
k. Photographic evidence of Mods are encouraged but not required unless a nonmember throws the smiley face with the BS flag, either in person or on the Corvette Forum or other acceptable communication forum. In case of the noncompliance with this whylaw, nothing will be done, maybe.
l. Street Racing is Officially discouraged and will not be tolerated,,,,but will be graded.
m. At NO Time shall any nonmember not belong to the Non Club Club of Oklahoma unless at that time the nonmember secretly needs to not belong in order to save his or her life, or, get laid.
n. Ricer owners SUCK! Mostly.
o. Nonsanctioned Nonevents don’t count unless any nonmember wants them to, or not.
p. Never, and WE mean NEVER does any nonmember EVER,,,,,,, NEVERMIND!
q. Damn, we are only on q. Well we don’t like q. Or do we?
r. All attempts to increase RWHP or RWTQ are encouraged. But non required,,,,yeah right.
s. Pictures of Non Club Club of Oklahoma NonEvents are Nonsanctioned and cannot be sold, reproduced, copied, edited or given away without the expressed written consent of the pictured nonmember’s car or nonmember. Or not.
t. Really BAD pics can cause death or bodily harm to be inflicted on the photographer by a nonvote of the entire nonmembership.
u. Really tacky, drunken, sober, ugly or any where in between behavior will be noticed.
v. All nonmembers are nonrequired to have on their person or in their console enough quarters to wash their Vette just in case it needs it! Or not.
w. Nonmembers can never renounce their nonmembership unless they don’t have a Vette anymore, pledge to never own a Vette ever again, buy a RICER or decide to purchase a Ugo. In which case a special Non Club Club of Oklahoma nonmeeting will not be called to not decide whether or not the nonmember should lose his or her nonmembership status.
x. In no way should nonmembership in the Non Club Club of Oklahoma be considered as an accomplishment of any kind.
y. In no way should nonmembership in the Non Club Club of Oklahoma be considered as anything to be ashamed of. Unless, (see m. above) then it’s cool, or maybe just excusable.
z. Finally. See Below*

• Nothing on the previous pages means anything at all,,,,,,,,,,unless you want it to, and in that case don’t tell anyone because they won’t or shouldn’t care.

That should break the ice!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Silverbullet00; 05-04-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Dream C5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a SS or V6
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
I would've walked over to the tailpipes, pointed at them and said "1, 2, 3, 4... Four Cylinders"
That's a good'n.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 PM
david1st
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have people ask if I'm having "mid-life crisis"............. I say NOPE!! I just like the best performance, best handling, most fun car to drive.......CORVETTE!!! Best bang for the $$
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 PM
herZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by SeanMounce
I had a girl walk my car over, I opened the hood to show off the power-plant.

She then turns and looks at me and says... "So is the engine in the back?"

I didn't say anything back, but I'm sure my expression probably said it all.
OMG. This must be why the people at auto parts stores treat me like I'm the biggest moron on the face of the planet.

I haven't had any real dumb questions yet... but the best one I get is people looking at the speedometer to judge how fast the car is. "this thing must be fast if it'll go 200!" Really? since when did we judge how fast a car is by the highest number on the speedometer?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Col. Newman
Instructor

Originally Posted by herZ06
OMG. This must be why the people at auto parts stores treat me like I'm the biggest moron on the face of the planet.

I haven't had any real dumb questions yet... but the best one I get is people looking at the speedometer to judge how fast the car is. "this thing must be fast if it'll go 200!" Really? since when did we judge how fast a car is by the highest number on the speedometer?
Well it does give you a ruff idea if it's stock. Generally speedometer's go 20 to 30 over what it tops out at. but it sure won't do 200 stock.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Ace14
Racer

I get what year is it and is it a Z06 at least once a week. (97 Coupe) Also another one I seem to get alot is that when I say I payed 13k for it people are like yeah but its worth at least 25k hahaha. The best one was at an audio shop, I was looking to change the remote batteries and the one guy overheard me say I had a vette and wanted to see it. He had a C4 and we went on Bsing for a little. Then he asked how much I payed and I told him 13k, he then told me that my car was worth at least 20 because his was worth 20 and he wouldnt sell it for less. (stock 94 with 50k) People dont realize how cheap/ easy to own these cars are.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:15 AM
ROJO99
Melting Slicks

Where is the back seat?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Col. Newman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROJO99
Where is the back seat?
that's what my mom said when she first looked inside my vette
Old 05-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Cheech Wizard
Le Mans Master

Location: Orlando, Florida, MY Corvette is BEST Corvette because MID-ENGINE!
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by herZ06
Didn't most of us do that when we were kids and didn't know better?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 AM
His93C4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really a question, but a guy that I worked with bought a 93 Miata and said "If we get into the twisties I (Miata) would get there faster because I corner better". I have a 03 Z06. I just laughed.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 AM
glorysends
Burning Brakes

At a local car show one time, a kid came up to me while I had my hatch popped and asked.....

''Why is your engine so small??!''

Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've often got "it's a nice day, you should take the top off." I own a Z06. "But it looks like your top comes off."

The coolest thing was once when I was in the Blue Ridge mountain area of North Carolina and needed gas. I pulled into a station in a very small rural town. After filling up I went into the office to pay. The woman working there had her son there who was probably in the 9-10 year old range. He questions me "hey mister, is that your car out at the pump?" I answered yes and he says "nice Z06!" Totally blew me away. His mother then says "He knows his Vettes."
Old 05-06-2010, 04:07 AM
Moman1290
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

My daughter and I were eating lunch in a small cafe' in the town we live in, when the waitress went over to a couple sitting in the window booth. They were in their 60's and she told them that she loved their shiny new red Corvette, which was parked in front of the Cafe'. The man looked up at her and said,"I wish it was mine". The waitress turned around and loudly asked everybody in the place who's Corvette it was? I, the young 45 year old raised my hand and said it was mine. She said that it was the nicest new Corvette she has ever seen. I thanked her and told her it was a '98!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I constantly get the "Is it new?" question. However, I don't find that to be a stupid question. After all, I don't know the years and models of LOTS of cars out there. I'd have no idea if I was looking at a brand new Bentley or a hot off the lot Mercedes.

But I often get a stupid question that follows information I give out. I'll say "It get's about 30MPG on the freeway." And they'll follow that up with some dumb speculation and an equally stupid question like "There's no way. That thing is definitely a gas guzzler. How can a V(insert random number that is not 8) get that kind of mileage."

Then I explain that the engine has enough power to push the car with extremely tall gearing so that at high speed, the engine is at lower RPMs. The car is also very aerodynamic and light and the motor doesn't have to work that hard to push it. At that point they ask another stupid question like "Why aren't all cars geared like that then?"

It's like a never ending cycle of stupid questions. I'm starting to learn not to offer information anymore.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:55 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glorysends
At a local car show one time, a kid came up to me while I had my hatch popped and asked.....

''Why is your engine so small??!''

Winner. That is likely the stupidest car question I've ever heard. I would have told them they have no business being at a car show.

Get notified of new replies

To What's the dumbest thing ever asked about your C5? I have a good one!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM
glorysends
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Winner. That is likely the stupidest car question I've ever heard. I would have told them they have no business being at a car show.
hahaha!! Yeah, it's amazing the people out there!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
yyzmsp
Racer

A couple years ago I was at a car show in downtown Sioux Falls IA. I have a vert and have 3 small bottles of Nitrous in the area where the rear disc changer is located. Three local Police officers stated looking at my car and I was slightly concerned, not knowing the local laws regarding Nitrous. One of the officers approached me and asked " Is that stock?" to which I replied "Yes" and off they went more than happy and I breathed a sigh of relief.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
redazz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream C5
Is that a SS or V6
i got that just the other day from a kid in a mustang

Quick Reply: What's the dumbest thing ever asked about your C5? I have a good one!