Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merits & Cautions of Battery Quick Diconnect Switch

Old 04-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Travler
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merits & Cautions of Battery Quick Diconnect Switch

What are your thoughts on the merits and/or cautions of installing a battery quick disconnect switch on the battery side post of my 2003 AE Coupe? Not so much for security, but to turn things off while I clean the car or have the hood open during a show or meet? I notice there is also available a bypass circuit for ECM/radio memory. Also available is an underhood light switch that could be installed as an alternative.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Most owners just disconnect the hood light harness. You can find the male/female connectors by the right side headlight. The harness switch could be easily duplicated for less money than the after market wants.

If everything is working properly, the hood light should go out automatically in 15 minutes anyway (check owners manual).

A battery disconnect is a good security feature, especially one with the ability to maintain power to the memory features. I particularly like these from the street rod industry.

They are available with a key switch, soft touch pad, magnetic switch or micro toggle switch which can be mounted anywhere you can imagine. With the light gauge wire and inline fuse, the power to your memory features will be maintained. However, if someone attempts to start the car, the fuse will blow resulting in no power...

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

The less expensive lever type devices and green **** types are not as reliable. There may be an issue with vibration and/or space to mount them. Plus, they're hardly inconspicuous like above.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 04-30-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 309 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I have a total disconnect switch on my 84, and I do so the battery doesn't get cooked out dispite the fact that I had a float charger on it in years past. But with all the PCM and the other electronics on my C5 I have a unique new float charger that I keep on the car as oppposed to disconnecting the battery. But I should say that I understand that you can completely disconnect the power in a C5 for long periods of time without any ill effects. I just like to disconnect my charger and scoot out and on my way !
Old 04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I installed the keyed disconnect switches in my sister's '68 Bronco as a security measure, and I installed one in the '70 Barracuda I'm restoring as the connection point between the trunk mounted battery and the wiring harness.

On a modern car, I'd be somewhat hesitant to install something like that; with all the accessories based on getting continuous 12v to maintain settings, and considering how rarely most car owners ever have to worry about disconnecting the battery or having a battery drain, it's probably not worth the effort.

If the hood light is a concern, I'd go with a hidden switch just for that. It's generally a good idea anyways, since you're usually going to want a better light than the hood light provides if you're doing any work in the engine bay area.

If security was a concern, spend the extra money to get a system installed, though with the VATS' resistor based system already on the car, you'd be dealing with a criminal that really knew what they were doing if they were going to steal the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Merits & Cautions of Battery Quick Diconnect Switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Merits & Cautions of Battery Quick Diconnect Switch