Sponsored by:

Radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM
DRKANGEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator help

I need some feed back from those of you that have changed your water cooling radiators to a larger after market one and if you have noticed any big difference in cooling degrees , I am looking at these models BE COOL , DEWITT, also EcKLER'S has one and so does WEST COAST CORVETTE they all say they run about 20 to 40 percent cooler any input would be great. Thank you
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

If you're trying to get cooler temps, a lower thermostat would also help.

How high are your temps now? Have you looked at you present one to make sure the "fins" are clear of debris so the airflow is proper?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:05 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

I suggest that you describe what cooling problems you are having and under what conditions you experience them. Neither a larger capacity radiator or a colder thermostat are cure all's for some heating conditions.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
DRKANGEL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well her is some information the temperature runs about 220 to 235 degrees in 90 to 100 degrees temps and if I turn on the a/c it comes down some I do not run my a/c during the summer time because I have the top off or the windows down also I did take the radiator out and put a air hose to it and then power washed it and a lot of junk did come out fin area and changed the thermostat and all water hoses . She runs fine in cool weather but in the summer time if I the car is at a stop to long the temp starts to go up until I turn on the a/c . I am planing on taking a long trip and in the summer threw some hot states and would like to cure this.

Last edited by DRKANGEL; 04-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Ok. So you've taken the right steps already...

Actually, when you turn on your A/C, the fans go into high speed mode. It's actually to your benefit to run the A/C when it climbs. Those 220-235 temps are pretty "normal" in summers here.

Might I suggest maybe having your fan settings lowered to come on sooner. You'll have to go to someone who knows how to change the parameters for those. That seemed to aid the temps a lot for me.

I had a Ron David radiator after I supercharged mine. I chose that brand because it had more fins/sq.inch than the Dewitt. With the addtional heat from the SC, I ran about 220-230ish in the summer on +90° days around Los Angeles.

Another option I forgot to mention would be remving the fog light shrouds to allow more air into your engine bay.

Also, I forgot to ask, how are your air dams? Are they in good condition?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

completely. If you have cleaned the back side of the radiator and replaced the thermostat you have taken the right initial steps. And changing the turn on temps for the fans would be another good thing to do. The factory turn on settings are 226 for low speed mode and off at 219, and 235 for high speed mode and off at 226. So when you are in traffic without the AC on (turn on temp is 185 for when you are running the AC) you can see that the car is going to get pretty hot before the fans are there to help based on the factory settings. I had the turn on temps of mine set to 205 for low speed and 215 for high speed. They helped a lot in the 105+ summer days in southern Az when I was in traffic. Never saw an engine temp above 207 in traffic. When I added a larger capacity radiator (Magna Charger added at the same time) I also went to a 180 thermostat and had the turn temps adjusted to match the new stat. I have not had it in above 100 temps yet but in high 90's air temps in traffic the coolant temps are in the low 190's.

Before you put the bucks into a larger capacity radiator I suggest you find a tuner who will set the turn on temps lower. It will provide you with in traffic relief. If you want to spend even less money, just turn on the AC even if you have the tops off. The fans will come on immediately and as soon as the vehicle speed is above 35 MPH the fans will go off. For a stock motor I don't see the need for a larger capacity radiator. Too many $$$ for the improvement you will see.

Just noticed that you have the same question going over in the Tech forum. The folks touting great improvement with larger capacity radiators fail to tell you that they have set the turn on temps down. So beware of their spending your money on a larger capacity radiator WITHOUT setting turn on temps down and a much lower thermostat. Especially the guy from Phoenix who now sees 180 for a max. He's likely got a 160 Thermostat and turn on temps set in the low 170's.

Last edited by 8VETTE7; 04-11-2010 at 08:23 PM. Reason: 2nd post going

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator help

Quick Reply: Radiator help