Sponsored by:

Newbie looking for advice from Corvette owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 PM
GlockMan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for advice from Corvette owners

I have been into cars my whole life but up until recently have always been interested in Japanese cars. I'm really looking to buy a corvette now and i am really excited. My problems is i only have 15,000 to spend i can push a little more if its a crazy deal or for dealer fees and so on but not much.

My question is, should i go for as low of mileage as possible or if i can find one that has been modified with higher mileage?

I only ask this because i know that i would never be able to afford to do the things i'd like to as it can become rather expensive and if i could find one already modded that would be great.

I know buying used cars is a test drive and go from their type deal, and i've driven lots of cars and know a ragged out crappy car when i see one. The problem is, i have never driven a manual v8 domestic car before. This is uncharted territory here.

So please any advice is welcome.

Last edited by GlockMan; 04-10-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Do yourself a favor, buy a completely stock, 6 spd with the lowest mileage you can get for the money you got. It will be plenty of car stock, and there's always time to add mods down the road. In a heavily modded car, you are limited to getting repair info from a place like this, a manual, or a repair shop unless it's the one that did the mods.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by socalman
Do yourself a favor, buy a completely stock, 6 spd with the lowest mileage you can get for the money you got. It will be plenty of car stock, and there's always time to add mods down the road. In a heavily modded car, you are limited to getting repair info from a place like this, a manual, or a repair shop unless it's the one that did the mods.
I agree. If you're new to Corvettes, and this type of car in general, I'd get familiar with a reliable stocker first. Go for a lower mileage car that hasn't been modified; or maybe modified very slightly. You'll want something easily repairable and less prone to cause any issues. Obviously this really only concerns engine mods; if you found a nice car with an aftermarket interior or custom wheels, I don't think that would be as much of an issue. But give the stock cars a chance... they're nothing to rule out! You'll have plenty to learn just driving one around for a year, and I promise you, you'll still have a sh*$-eating grin on your face the whole time...
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,421 Likes on 14,039 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by socalman
IMO, find yourself a well maintained stock car and do the mods you want as you can afford them. The C5 has plenty of performance just as it came from the factory.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 AM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes, i agree with the folks above, a 6 speed stocker....plenty of power and you can add mods as you get cash. I've had this C5 for a couple of years, only added a K&N filter to the stock air box. I'm quite happy with the OEM power.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Default A different view

If you are thinking of doing mods to the car once you get it, figure out what mods you would like and then look for a car that has most of them. They generally will not raise the price of the car and you will get them for virtually free. I would suggest you stay with mods such as cold air intake, long tube headers (if in Calif. short tube headers), high flow cats and a different exhaust for the sound you want. Possibly a different intake manifold. These are all bolt on items and should not hurt the reliability of the car. When you start thinking of cams, heads, different pistons, crank, etc. you need to know the quality of the work done and of the parts installed. For appearance mods go for what you like.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:52 PM
99pewtercoupe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the basically stock approach. If the mods are the bolt on type (anything on the exhaust system, cold air intakes, etc) those are OK but I would also stay away from any internal engine mods as you really have no idea of well they were done
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 PM
GlockMan
4th Gear

Well i am not new to sports car, and I am reasonably mechanical inclined, and have worked on several different cars (lowering spring installs, timing belts, water pumps, header and exhaust install). My most recent car was 240whp FWD Interga (flames are welcome) haha. I was just worried about power not being up where i would like it on a stock C5 and i cannot afford a C5 Z06.

This is my main two prospects:

Stocker - http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/1655862867.html

Modded - http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

and again thank you all for your advice and insight

Also i live very close to Mooresvile NC and there a few very good LSx tuners in the area at my disposal for tuning and tech. advice

Last edited by GlockMan; 04-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:57 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'd take the stock one with lower km. I have to agree with most above. buy the lowest mileage, newest vette your budget allows.
good luck

and BTW, once you have your vette you'll learn that fwd is for tricycles!!! haha...I made a similar move from my GTP to the vette

Last edited by 00 Rooster; 04-10-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:52 PM
GlockMan
4th Gear

what do ya'll think about the craigslist example?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 PM
timmmmay
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CL looks ok - I just recently got a 50k coupe for 13.5, 1999 coupe - m6 - bone stock.

I drive it with a $#1T eating grin on my face everytime I'm in the car. Go see it - see if you get a good feeling from the seller. Maybe someone close to that area who's a member might go with - or check it out for you?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:04 PM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is my totally stock 29 k miles, M6 2003 Corvette at the drags........I came out of a moderately modded Stealth RT TT that ran in the mid 13s.......it was fast, but a V-8 manual, 3300 pound car is a different story 13 flat with zero mods and a fair driver.......excellent fun to drive.

I dont miss turbos........naturally aspirated TORQUE is the most fun. I forgot how to set up the window........but here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG4zmH18YLw&NR=1

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie looking for advice from Corvette owners

Quick Reply: Newbie looking for advice from Corvette owners