Sponsored by:

power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 AM
TEXASCOUPE
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default power antenna

My wifes power antenna on her 03 vert is stuck up in the up position. It makes a grinding noise when trying to retract. I'd like to just get it in the down position and just unplug it since she listens to cd's most of the time anyway. Any ideas? Happy Easter everyone.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:20 AM
RonVette2
Melting Slicks

I'd just take the whole thing out of the car (the power antennea) and get a short (like 6" or so stationary one) and replace it with that. That way in case your wife wanted to still listen to the radio occassionally she could but it really wouldnt be in the way or look bad. Just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASCOUPE
My wifes power antenna on her 03 vert is stuck up in the up position. It makes a grinding noise when trying to retract. I'd like to just get it in the down position and just unplug it since she listens to cd's most of the time anyway. Any ideas? Happy Easter everyone.
Mine was doing the same thing so I just removed the antenna's fuse from the fuse block on my 2001 Vert and pushed the antenna down and that's all you need to do.

I have no trouble picking up any stations with it down and if I want a short antenna I can just pull up just one or more small segments and push it down when I'm done.

Last edited by RJRSW; 04-04-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:43 AM
TEXASCOUPE
Racer

Originally Posted by RonVette2
I'd just take the whole thing out of the car (the power antennea) and get a short (like 6" or so stationary one) and replace it with that. That way in case your wife wanted to still listen to the radio occassionally she could but it really wouldnt be in the way or look bad. Just my opinion.
Thanks. Thats what I was considering doing but wasn't sure if one could be installed like that.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 AM
TEXASCOUPE
Racer

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Mine was doing the same thing so I just removed the antenna's fuse from the fuse block on my 2001 Vert and pushed the antenna down and that's all you need to do.
That would work. Thanks. Wasn't real sure if you could just push it down. Suppose it won't hurt since its already broke. Is there anything else on that fuse that you know of?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

No, just the antenna

It's minifuse number 24 behind the passenger side toe board

Last edited by RJRSW; 04-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
TEXASCOUPE
Racer

No, just the antenna
Great. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
TEXASCOUPE
Racer

If I want to replace the motor, how do I get at it? Through the trunk or through the tail light?
Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,486 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

If I want to replace the motor, how do I get at it? Through the trunk or through the tail light?
Through the passenger outside tail light. I know this because the motor got in the way of me swapping out my rear side marker. I had to go through the wheel well as a result.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:34 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Both the trunk and tailight. The following is from the GM service manual and after you read this you will probably do what I did and just pull the fuse and push the antenna down:

Power Antenna Assembly Replacement
Removal Procedure

Open the rear compartment lid.
Check to be sure that the ignition switch is in the OFF position.
Remove the RR end/corner carpet trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Carpet Replacement - Rear Corner in Interior Trim.
Remove the RH decklid support trim panel. Pull to release the retaining clips.

Pull back the edge of the rear compartment floor carpet from behind the RH decklid support, then reposition the RH side of the carpet.
Release the antenna coaxial cable and wiring harness from the retaining clip on the rear of the wheelhouse.
Disconnect the power antenna coaxial cable from the power antenna coaxial extension cable.
Disconnect the antenna electrical connector from the front body wiring harness connector.

Remove the screws retaining both of the RH taillamps.
Remove both of the RH taillamps.
Disconnect the antenna ground connector from the rear body wiring harness.

Important
Use care not to twist and damage the ground straps when removing the retaining nut.

Remove the nut retaining the antenna dual cable strap (1) and antenna short braided ground strap (2) to the rear fascia retaining stud, then reposition the straps.

Remove the nut retaining the antenna long braided ground strap to the rear bumper impact bar stud, then reposition the strap.
Remove the antenna bracket retaining nuts.
Release the antenna bracket from the mounting studs.
Reposition the antenna body (with bracket) toward the RR tire.
Using a slight twisting motion, pull down to release the antenna from the antenna bezel.
Release the antenna wiring harness grommet from the rear compartment panel, toward the outside of the vehicle.
Starting from the outer lip of the grommet, on the outside of the vehicle, begin to unseat the bottom right area of the grommet.
Using a flat bladed screwdriver or other suitable tool as an aid if necessary, work around the base of the tapered lip of the grommet on the inside of the vehicle, while simultaneously finessing the outer lip of the grommet on the outside of the vehicle, in order to release the grommet completely from the rear compartment panel.
Remove the antenna wiring harness and grommet from the opening in the rear compartment panel toward the outside of the vehicle.

Carefully remove the power antenna from the vehicle through one of the taillamp openings.

Remove the bolts retaining the antenna bracket to the antenna, if bracket removal is necessary.
Remove the antenna bracket from the antenna, if necessary.
Remove the antenna bezel upward through the quarter panel, if necessary.

Installation Procedure

Install the antenna bezel to the quarter panel, if removed. Align the locating tab on the antenna bezel to the notch in the quarter panel, then insert the bezel and push to secure.
Install the antenna bracket to the antenna, if removed.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important
Use care not to twist and damage the ground straps when tightening the retaining nut.

Install the bolts retaining the antenna bracket to the antenna, if the bracket was removed. Tighten
Tighten the radio power antenna bracket retaining bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Carefully install the power antenna to the vehicle through one of the taillamp openings.

Apply sealer to the groove on the antenna wiring harness grommet.
Apply a light coating of lubricant to the narrow end of the antenna wiring harness grommet to aid in seating the grommet.
Install the antenna wiring harness and grommet through the opening in the rear compartment panel toward the inside of the vehicle.
Fully seat the antenna wiring harness grommet to the rear compartment panel.
Position the antenna upright, toward the RR tire and align the top of the antenna with the opening in the antenna bezel.
Install the antenna to the bezel. Insert the antenna up through the opening in the bezel, then check that the antenna and the bezel are seated properly.
Position the antenna and install the antenna bracket onto the mounting studs.
Install the antenna bracket retaining nuts. Tighten
Tighten the radio power antenna bracket retaining nuts to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Install the antenna long braided ground strap to the rear bumper impact bar stud.
Install the nut retaining the antenna long braided ground strap to the rear bumper impact bar stud. Tighten
Tighten the radio power antenna long braided ground strap retaining nut to 5.8 N·m (51 lb in).

Install the antenna short braided ground strap (2), then the antenna dual cable strap (1), to the rear fascia retaining stud.
Install the nut retaining the straps to the rear fascia retaining stud. Tighten
Tighten the radio power antenna short braided ground strap and dual cable strap retaining nut to 5.8 N·m (51 lb in).

Connect the antenna ground connector to the rear body wiring harness.
Install both of the RH taillamps.
Install the screws retaining both of the RH taillamps. Tighten
Tighten the taillamp retaining screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Secure the antenna coaxial cable and wiring harness to the retaining clip on the rear of the wheelhouse.
Connect the antenna wiring harness electrical connector to the front body wiring harness connector.
Connect the antenna coaxial cable to the antenna coaxial extension cable.
Install the edge of the rear compartment floor carpet behind the RH decklid support.

Install the RR end/corner carpet trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Carpet Replacement - Rear Corner in Interior Trim.
Install the RH decklid support trim panel. Align the panel, then push to secure the retaining clips.
Close the rear compartment lid.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Gregory0729
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a replacement mast, but apparently there is a pice broken off in my motor. Thanks for the write-up on how to remove the motor. Does anyone have pics that would accompany the instructions? I also read somewhere on the forum that I could remove the plastic rivets and remove the broken pieces. I would have to replace the rivets with screws. Anyone know what size/lenght screws would be needed?
Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM
CrustyOldGuy
Drifting

Remove the RR end/corner carpet trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Carpet Replacement - Rear Corner in Interior Trim.
Remove the RH decklid support trim panel. Pull to release the retaining clips.
This is great information since mine does the same thing. Before I buy just the mast, I wanted to get it out and make sure that's all it needed.

My question on the quote above, do you have the instructions on that panel removal because I've looked at it and I see no screws, snaps or anything else holding it in. I'm very hesitant to start yanking on it for fear of breaking something I shouldn't.

Also, I read somewhere that you can pull the passenger side wheel and inner fender to get to the antenna. Problem is I can't find that again and I'm not sure if it was for a C5 or other.
This process looks more feasable because you can see all the screws holding in the inner fender.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:35 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Default As per your request from service manual

Originally Posted by CrustyOldGuy
This is great information since mine does the same thing. Before I buy just the mast, I wanted to get it out and make sure that's all it needed.

My question on the quote above, do you have the instructions on that panel removal because I've looked at it and I see no screws, snaps or anything else holding it in. I'm very hesitant to start yanking on it for fear of breaking something I shouldn't.
Trim Panel Carpet Replacement - Rear Corner Convertible

Removal Procedure
Remove the rear floor side stowage compartment cover.

Slide the cargo lamp up out of the trim panel, if equipped.
Remove the rear cargo net, if equipped.

Remove the cargo net attaching nuts.
Remove the corner carpet trim panel.

Installation Procedure

Install the corner carpet trim panel.
Install the cargo net attachment nuts.
Install the cargo net, if equipped.

Snap the cargo lamp into the carpet panel. if equipped.

Install the rear floor side stowage compartment cover.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
CrustyOldGuy
Drifting

Thank you very much. I'm new to this forum and so far you guys are all pretty dang awesome!!

I'll give it a shot.

Get notified of new replies

To power antenna

Quick Reply: power antenna