C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished converting my 99 FRC into a Z06 Clone

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Lol, people can go out here and do custom repaints such as lamborghini orange and do who knows what else to their car and everything seems to be ok with that idea. This guy just did what he wanted to the car as someone who wanted a custom paint job would have. He has basically everything a z06 would have shy of the VIN and rpo codes. I don't think he is bragging that he has a Z06! Big deal if he is!! He done a great job and should be proud of it. I have a '99 Nassau blue FRC being converted into a Z06. It will be 99% Z06. The only thing I didn't opt to put in it was the active handling system and the dual zone climate control. The reason why was not because it was such a pain to change out, but beacause of the issues related to these items. The nassau blue FRC was totally gutted and everything Z06 related installed down to the nuts and bolts, so yeah I could have installed those two items I left out. Now is this a Z06 you might say? I'll leave that up to you to decide. When I get done, I will be sure to post pics. BTW, I will be under $10k on this car with a CLEAN title including mods in sig!! Can you buy a TRUE Z06 for that? Didn't think so.
BTW it only has 40k miles.

Last edited by NVTHIS; 04-05-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Badges?

You don't need no stinkin' Badges!

Last edited by ctusser; 04-05-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
CKSIX
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Argent C5
Growing up starts by calling hobbyists who create a nice car for themselves something other than "WANNABE's."

I'm actually a "right of Attila the Hun" conservative and I think the OP has demonstrated a more conservative approach ("build your equity") than many of the haters who come across as elitist east coast liberals ("buy your credibility").

Just sayin'...
I'm sorry, but you don't build equity in cars, Economics 101. And yes, his FRC is a wannabe Z06. "Elitist" I think your on the wrong forum.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Very nice job, and I give you cudo's for going the extra steps to clone the Z06 (engine, interior, wheels, drivetrain, etc...). We hard Top guys (99-04) need to stick together...

Toque
Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
CKSIX
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
Lol, people can go out here and do custom repaints such as lamborghini orange and do who knows what else to their car and everything seems to be ok with that idea. This guy just did what he wanted to the car as someone who wanted a custom paint job would have. He has basically everything a z06 would have shy of the VIN and rpo codes. I don't think he is bragging that he has a Z06! Big deal if he is!! He done a great job and should be proud of it. I have a '99 Nassau blue FRC being converted into a Z06. It will be 99% Z06. The only thing I didn't opt to put in it was the active handling system and the dual zone climate control. The reason why was not because it was such a pain to change out, but beacause of the issues related to these items. The nassau blue FRC was totally gutted and everything Z06 related installed down to the nuts and bolts, so yeah I could have installed those two items I left out. Now is this a Z06 you might say? I'll leave that up to you to decide. When I get done, I will be sure to post pics. BTW, I will be under $10k on this car with a CLEAN title including mods in sig!! Can you buy a TRUE Z06 for that? Didn't think so.
It won't be a Z06, you'll have a very nice modded FRC.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Cool.
Enjoy your car and don't give the haters a moments thought.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Bronk
Pro

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

The Z06 FRAME is different (lighter)! So, unless........... Just a thought
Old 04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bronk
Huh? We ain't discussing C6s here. This is a C5 FRC we're talking about.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06

Originally Posted by Bronk
Where is the Z06 frame lighter at compared to a FRC? Only one place that I know of is different and that is on the passenger side rear and there is an access panel. I totally stripped a z06 down and built the '99 and the frames are the same except what was stated.

Originally Posted by CKSIX
It won't be a Z06, you'll have a very nice modded FRC.
Actually I have both titles. It can be what I want it to be.

Last edited by NVTHIS; 04-05-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Where is the Z06 frame lighter at compared to a FRC?
It's not. He's getting C5s confused with C6s.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
coanan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GM took the FRC and made the Z06, so the Z06 is a clone of the FRC. LOL If it was good enough for GM to do why not the general public.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Ok

So just to be clear: The poster puts up a thread that says, “hey just finished work on my FRC and converted it into a Z06 clone”, and attaches pictures. Nowhere does he state, “what do you guys think?” or “what’s your opinion?” not of the work but rather is it the correct thing to do according to some Corvette culture bible. Had he done so I would expect him not only to get the opinions, good and bad, but that he respect all those that he got as he solicited them. However, he didn’t and if he reacts with as much disdain and vitriol as he gets he is further criticized for doing so. Regarding the comment of him going “liberal”; now there’s an intelligent assessment. Somehow his response on the subject of whether or not to spend 20K versus 15K is evidence of his political views? Geez, no wonder people are afraid to post on the forum. Too bad, as there is a wealth of knowledge here and it will be overshadowed by those too juvenile to just refrain from commenting on something that they may find personally distasteful or not to their liking when they were not specifically asked to do so. I may not agree with the poster regarding creating a clone, then again it is not because I oppose cloning per se; it is because I find the Z06 already self ingratiating with its badges and brake vents (which real or stick-on look like an afterthought) and interior markings. I prefer more sedate, non-descript appearances which are backed up with the real performance that needs no markings to make itself known and appreciated. But I was not asked to state an opinion and it is only mine and it will not and should not make a difference to anyone else.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:39 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
So just to be clear: The poster puts up a thread that says, “hey just finished work on my FRC and converted it into a Z06 clone”, and attaches pictures. Nowhere does he state, “what do you guys think?” or “what’s your opinion?” not of the work but rather is it the correct thing to do according to some Corvette culture bible. Had he done so I would expect him not only to get the opinions, good and bad, but that he respect all those that he got as he solicited them. However, he didn’t and if he reacts with as much disdain and vitriol as he gets he is further criticized for doing so. Regarding the comment of him going “liberal”; now there’s an intelligent assessment. Somehow his response on the subject of whether or not to spend 20K versus 15K is evidence of his political views? Geez, no wonder people are afraid to post on the forum. Too bad, as there is a wealth of knowledge here and it will be overshadowed by those too juvenile to just refrain from commenting on something that they may find personally distasteful or not to their liking when they were not specifically asked to do so. I may not agree with the poster regarding creating a clone, then again it is not because I oppose cloning per se; it is because I find the Z06 already self ingratiating with its badges and brake vents (which real or stick-on look like an afterthought) and interior markings. I prefer more sedate, non-descript appearances which are backed up with the real performance that needs no markings to make itself known and appreciated. But I was not asked to state an opinion and it is only mine and it will not and should not make a difference to anyone else.

a forum is NOTHING but opinions. make a topic about ANYTHING and you will get them, its what a forum is. welcome to the world wide web

NVTHIS:
paiting a car lambo orange is different than cloning a car. they are just painting it, they are not throwing murcielago badges on it

FOBRA's- G_Y
FALEENS- G_Y
FAKE Z06's- G_Y
22's on a vette- G_Y
putting a 2JZ in a mustang- G_Y
honda civic's with fat cans- G_Y

^opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has them^

its all well and good until you start throwing bradges around on car they dont belong on.

Last edited by hatewhatownsyou; 04-05-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM
lumpdady
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dobewillie
Looks good
Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 PM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hatewhatownsyou
NVTHIS:
paiting a car lambo orange is different than cloning a car. they are just painting it, they are not throwing murcielago badges on it

FOBRA's- G_Y
FALEENS- G_Y
FAKE Z06's- G_Y
22's on a vette- G_Y
putting a 2JZ in a mustang- G_Y
honda civic's with fat cans- G_Y

^opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has them^

its all well and good until you start throwing bradges around on car they dont belong on.
I would hope murcielago badges would not make their way on a vette. That's comparing apples to oranges. The FRC is the same car as the Z06. Only difference is that the Z06 has some distinctive upgrades in looks and performance. Now modifying a coupe and saying it is a Z06 is a whole other ball game. I could care less if my vette was called a FRC or Z06. I have had both so it doesn't matter. One is no more inferior over the other when they contain the same exact components on the same platform.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by coanan
GM took the FRC and made the Z06, so the Z06 is a clone of the FRC. LOL If it was good enough for GM to do why not the general public.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 AM
kikker_1999
Racer

Looks good to me!!!! Where do you cruise it??? I heard they closed Bentleys!!

Get notified of new replies

To Just finished converting my 99 FRC into a Z06 Clone

Old 04-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by CKSIX
I'm sorry, but you don't build equity in cars, Economics 101. And yes, his FRC is a wannabe Z06. "Elitist" I think your on the wrong forum.
Don't lecture me on economics. The OP got low mileage Z06 performance and looks for a high mileage FRC price. It's called sweat equity -- just like fixing up your house. I just hope unlike a house he depreciates the heck out of it 50 miles at a time. He built a Z06 clone which will do everything a stock Z06 will do except carry an elitist in the driver's seat. And probably for much less than you paid. Must really frost you, eh?

You modded your car to get more performance, plus added C6 Z06 wheels and halo taillights -- what type of wannabe does that make you? Seriously, you make no sense and come off like an old pr!ck.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 AM
madchevy559
Instructor

The fact of the matter is, negative comments or not, I am going to drive the heck of what I created. I am going to enjoy it to the fullest.
I'm not going to be buried six feet under with the damn thing, so I am going to do what it was made for and enjoy it. I am not here to discuss politics, I am here to discuss a corvette topic with fellow corvette owners and show everyone what type of hobby I was interested in. The joy of remembering driving this car 215 miles home bone stock, to now hitting full throttle with z06 performance just makes it much more sweeter, and most definitively priceless. For the naysayers, you can say what you want, but you can't take the fact that I ENJOYED CHANGING MY CAR!!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:29 AM
MaddChopper
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

amazing work

Quick Reply: Just finished converting my 99 FRC into a Z06 Clone