Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever heard of this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever heard of this problem???

So, I just bought a mint 98 coupe, auto, 47,000 miles and I was taking it for a ride and decided to get on it. It was a very slight turn I was going around at about 40mph and it the *** end totally kicked out on me and I lost total control, hit a telephone poll on the rear corner and the wheel came right off with the axle still connected to it. I don't understand what could have happened. This car should have been able to handle that curve at 100mph easily. The traction control was on also. If this has happened to anyone else or if anyone can help out please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 PM
ProGo98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gbuick
So, I just bought a mint 98 coupe, auto, 47,000 miles and I was taking it for a ride and decided to get on it. It was a very slight turn I was going around at about 40mph and it the *** end totally kicked out on me and I lost total control, hit a telephone poll on the rear corner and the wheel came right off with the axle still connected to it. I don't understand what could have happened. This car should have been able to handle that curve at 100mph easily. The traction control was on also. If this has happened to anyone else or if anyone can help out please let me know. Thanks
Just a slight hint that you need new tires!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:10 PM
Silverbullet6spd
Racer

Sounds like you 'got on it" in the curve. A big NO-NO. traction control on these car is not very forgiving. I'd recommend a driving school to keep this from happening again.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your incident.

This is exactly why there are "baby-sitters" on the C5. Lots of power, low weight and the inexperienced driver..........recipe for disaster

Last edited by ALLEGRO; 03-24-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
robert123
Drifting

Traction control wouldnt help you on a turn. This is not stability program. If the car was sitting a while the top layer of rubber may have hardened on the tires making them slick. Cold temps. do not help either.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Loose nut behind the wheel I suspect.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

Do you have the ultra high performance summer tires on the car? If so, be aware they start to lose traction around 50 degrees, and the colder it is the less traction they have. Also, if the tires are older they will have less traction.
Traction control will cut power to the wheels when they start spinning, keeping you out of trouble in most instances. But if your tires have little traction and you get on it in a curve, you will lose control. Hopefully the damage to the car is not too great and it can be repaired.
If you get it repaired and live where the temps get below 40 degrees in the daytime put all season radials on it. You will have a little less traction on the warm summer days, compared to summer high performance tires, but a whole lot more traction when it starts getting cold out. It could keep you from wrecking your car. Again.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Gbuick
Advanced

To anyone who thinks I "got on it" in the curve your wrong!! I was going straight when I "got on it" and entered the slight turn at 40mph. I'm not an inexpierienced driver and the tires are Goodyear's with about 3000 miles left on them. Regardless I also have a 94 GMC Jimmy with bald tires and go faster around that turn everyday so.... I appreciate the guys who had helpful remarks though.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'll help you a little bit more, finish filling out your profile so we'll know where you're from!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Since your axle came out, there is a good possibility that when you "got on it", you only had power to one rear wheel and that could have contributed to your spin.

Or.....a CV joint let go depending upon just how much "axle" you saw come out.

Either way, you only had power to one wheel.

Just a "maybe".
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

1. Where do you live?
2. What was the temperature?
3.How old are the tires? Use the date code.
4. What type of Goodyears?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:34 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Sounds like the other way around, the axle broke causing the spin out?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have had a damaged rear control arm or ball joint that decided to let go in the turn,and that possibly caused the whole thing.

Glad you're still in one piece.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Not totally clear on the sequence?

The way it reads you "got on it" AFTER you were already in a 40mph turn? If so, that would explain it breaking loose - especially if it had GYRF tires on it.

If you "got on it" prior to the turn, that would not cause it to break loose in the turn as it only takes maybe a couple seconds to reach 40mph?

The real question is did the wheel and axle come loose BEFORE you lost control or AFTER you hit the curb/pole?

Unless the tires broke loose do to driver error or crappy tires and the road was smooth, then it would almost have to be a mechanical failure - in which case there was something wrong before the incident.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Dude! I don't even get on it when I change lanes on the freeway due to the fact it can kick out -

Now I do know how to control it when I do break them loose (With 701 RWHP) but you "NEVER" get on it in a curve -

You no doubt thought you could hammer it and shoot out of the turn like you are riding a rollercoaster but there are no cars that can do that unless you know how to DRIFT and actually handle those kind of turns!

It sounds like the pure IMPACT and momentum of the impact then right into a dead stop against a TELEPHONE Pole is what launched the axle - Be glad the Vette didn't snap in half -

If you need lessons on drivng the Vette there are a few schools you can and need to attend - Tires are also a huge differene maker - TOYO R888's warmed up would of helped but no amount of computer control or tire can help when we act ignorantly

Any PICS?

Thanks,Matt
Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 AM
LoudassZ
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Guess he's used to driving the Buick

I'd say tires though
Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 AM
Janster
Racer

My 4.0L V6 pickup truck kicks out on me if I 'get on it' in a turn.

You can't over-come physics.

I've managed to scare myself in the vette going too fast in a turn. Luckily for me, those lessons my dad gave me when I was 16 really paid off in more ways than one.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever heard of this problem???

Old 03-25-2010, 02:19 AM
IDM
Le Mans Master

You say you get on it more in your gmc jimmy around that turn and dont lose it.

well thats because it doesnt have 350hp and weigh 3200lbs.
Sounds like you werent used to the hp/weight of the vette.
Never get into the throttle in a sports car with the front wheels in any position but 100% straight. You also say tires with 3k miles left. Those tires may suck new and were basically bald soo....

Whats the chances your axle broke in the turn come on, you obviously lost control of the car by what you've written, and couldn't recover by the fact that you hit a telephone pole
Old 03-25-2010, 02:29 AM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

pics ?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:34 AM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some times you have more car than your driving skills happened to me good luck

Quick Reply: Anyone ever heard of this problem???