Sponsored by:

Floor Jacks and Harbor Freight

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Janster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late response.... .

I'd be very careful with that jack and definately have a 'secondary' or 'safety' mechanism in place.

We bought one of those jacks about a year ago and it failed. It happened not long after we bought it ( we still had the receipts). It wasn't holding and we happened to notice it before any problems occured.

We took the bad jack back to Harbor Freight and got a replacement. The replacement (same type) has been good....but we never rely on it to 'hold' the car. We'll use it primarily to get the car up high enough so we can get our Craftsman under it. The Craftsman is larger and obviously doesn't fit. I'd trust the 10 year old Craftsman before trusting that little Harbor Freight one.

Last edited by Janster; 03-25-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

As if you can't tell by now, everyone here seems to really like the HF jack for only $60. I was weary about a HF jack but after all the great press I got about it from here, I coughed up the change for one myself. It's pretty nice quality for HF. can't speak for the jack stands but the jack is top notch for a discount tool. It's low enough too to make it under without many problems!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
I bought this one because it needs just 2-7/8 inches clearance.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=67022

I bought the same one. I searched for the one with the lowest min. jacking height and this was it.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:25 AM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Janster
Late response.... .

I'd be very careful with that jack and definately have a 'secondary' or 'safety' mechanism in place.

We bought one of those jacks about a year ago and it failed. It happened not long after we bought it ( we still had the receipts). It wasn't holding and we happened to notice it before any problems occured.

We took the bad jack back to Harbor Freight and got a replacement. The replacement (same type) has been good....but we never rely on it to 'hold' the car. We'll use it primarily to get the car up high enough so we can get our Craftsman under it. The Craftsman is larger and obviously doesn't fit. I'd trust the 10 year old Craftsman before trusting that little Harbor Freight one.
that is true with ANY floorjack
Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 AM
angelinebrown
1st Gear

Jack stands are a good idea but don't know about the quality of HF stands but almost all stands available are made in China.
Try to use the 20% off coupon with the jack coupon, play dumb.

Criminal Defense Temecula
Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the $59 HF jack and love it. Of course you still have to use jack stands once it's lifted, but I wouldn't feel safe with any jack as the sole support while I'm under the car. I don't see how you can go wrong with the jack.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Janster
Racer

Originally Posted by postwhore
that is true with ANY floorjack
True...however, knowing this paticular jack in question has failed once doesn't make it trust-worthy (in my eyes).

Just wanted to make sure people are careful especially when they first buy it.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
80VetteStud
Pro

Originally Posted by angelinebrown
Jack stands are a good idea but don't know about the quality of HF stands but almost all stands available are made in China.
Try to use the 20% off coupon with the jack coupon, play dumb.

Criminal Defense Temecula
Still don't see that working but will give it a try this weekend when I go out. So what Jack Stands from where do you guys recommend then?

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
As if you can't tell by now, everyone here seems to really like the HF jack for only $60. I was weary about a HF jack but after all the great press I got about it from here, I coughed up the change for one myself. It's pretty nice quality for HF. can't speak for the jack stands but the jack is top notch for a discount tool. It's low enough too to make it under without many problems!
Where should I go get the high quality Jack Stands then?

Originally Posted by Corvette-Chris
I bought the same one. I searched for the one with the lowest min. jacking height and this was it.
Yeah I might be getting this one as well just to have a couple of nice Jacks with a couple of different options.

And as far as getting under the car, I would never do that till it was on stands and or anything that's going to keep it from falling or rolling off. I'm just not that crazy.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
80VetteStud
Pro

Originally Posted by rickko
3000 lbs is over kill since the whole car doesn't weigh much more than that.

Anyway, get an air compressor and air tools. You'll love being able to quickly remove/replace your wheels without any effort with a 1/2" impact wrench, plus useful on many other projects.

..rickko..
Where can I get these without spending a fortune? What brands should I be looking at and what is it going to run around?
Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Joe Babe
Instructor

i got the low profile jack, works great from (HF 67022-2vga)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 80VetteStud
Where should I go get the high quality Jack Stands then?
I've always felt safe with my craftsman jack stands, but anything in the mainstream should do fine. As long as it's solid and it's made in china, you should be standing on a firm leg
Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92782

I went in to look at the same jack your looking and decided on the one above. The 20% coupon knocked in down a little but I like the jack due to its low min. height (3 1/4 inches). Makes it much easier to get under the car with the lifting pucks. I've had it about a year and have used it twice but it seems to be good quality and I like that it is still light weight.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Janster
Late response.... .

it does not matter if you spend $60.00 on a hf jack or $160.00 on a craftsman floor jack. you should never depend on a jack alone...
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got both the jack stands and jack from HF and they've been fine so far but as others have said I would not trust just the jack w/o the stands.

Quick Reply: Floor Jacks and Harbor Freight