Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 923 Likes on 467 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Default Another Red Top bites the dust.

We have had an Optima Red Top in our 2000 for about four years without a drop of trouble..........until last night.

We had the car in the shop last fall for some paint work and when we picked it up they said that they had run the battery down. So I took it home and hooked up the battery tender. Since then the key fob would not hold a "sync" for more than an hour. I replaced the fob batteries hoping for the best, but in reality I knew the Red Top was toast. These batteries just do not like to be run completely down.

So, last night I want to get the car ready for our club's first organized run of the Spring. Open the hood to remove the battery tender and it's showing partial charge after being on the car for over a month. Well, crap. Call Sears - did you know that Sears no longer carries Optima? Too many being returned. Well, duh! So I have a brand new Die Hard Platinum and the first cruise of the year was a huge success. Good day in my book.

Last edited by duckvett; 03-20-2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing. I took it to AutoZone where I bought it and they gave me a new one no questions asked
Old 03-20-2010, 11:11 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got your's straight and had a nice cruise . Last August I noticed my RedTop had a small leak from the + side post, brought the Vette back to Advanced Auto, showed them, and they changed out a new one, (free), the leaking RT was 2 years old. So far so good, hoping this one does not leak.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:00 AM
99pewtercoupe
Drifting

Originally Posted by 0331MARINE
Mine did the same thing. I took it to AutoZone where I bought it and they gave me a new one no questions asked
Had the same thing happen last year. They replaced it no questions asked.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Herringchoker
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Man been singin' the Blues, since he began to till the ground"...Vancouver, USA WA.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My stock Delco lasted 7 yrs. ('00 coupe) I've had a "RT" now for 3 yrs. It once went dead after 10 days of not driving, since then, I feel it can't be trusted. Never again. JOE
Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is funny, I have one vehicle with Optima Red tops and they are going strong, in a RAM 1500 1997. The Optima are designed so well with spiral cells that give more cranking per volume, plus it is gel so no leaks, on a 4X4 the best battery to get bar none. I am going to get one for my C5 1999 Vette, due to possibility of leaks over the main wire harness under the stock batt. location. Could be the new owner that purchased Optima, maybe quality may have slipped a tad.. Well off to Costco to get one. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The Red Tops just don't like being discharged. They really aren't very good for Vettes that are not daily drivers. I guess the positive spin is it lasted 4 years and no leaks. Mind you, now I understand the reasons for the original leaky Delcos I may be less inclined to spend so much on a battery.

I invested in a Yellow Top which is much more tolerant and its still doing well after 3 years, although it should; its hooked up to a tender for a lot of the time.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
That is funny, I have one vehicle with Optima Red tops and they are going strong, in a RAM 1500 1997. The Optima are designed so well with spiral cells that give more cranking per volume, plus it is gel so no leaks, on a 4X4 the best battery to get bar none. I am going to get one for my C5 1999 Vette, due to possibility of leaks over the main wire harness under the stock batt. location. Could be the new owner that purchased Optima, maybe quality may have slipped a tad.. Well off to Costco to get one. Enjoy the ride.
I too have had good experiences with my RTs. I'm on my second one in my '99.

With deeply discharged RTs, depending on the charger being used, it may not recharge fully, if at all. Some chargers employ a feedback circuit and if it "sees" less than a certain voltage when hooked up, it will NOT begin charging that battery, RT or not. Just to be sure that is not happening on a deeply discharged RT, hook a second (charged) battery in parallel to the charger and RT and begin charging. The charger will read the higher voltage of the charged battery that is now in the circuit causing it to turn on and begin charging normally. When the measured voltage gets up high enough, you can remove the 2nd battery from the charging circuit and continue charging the RT up to it's capacity normally. Optima recommends ~1 Amp for maintenance charging (IIRC) 10-12 Amps for normal charging.

I have a feeling that too many deeply discharged RTs are getting discarded due to the charger being used not ever kicking in because it measures below a certain voltage (IIRC it's approx. 10.5V) at the beginning.

Btw, Optimas are NOT "gels".

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 03-21-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,300 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Well sounds like you're good to go now!
Old 03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

The battery in my C4 and C5 are Wal-Mart. Over 4 years on one and 3 years on the other without and issue. I see no need to pay double the price. JMO.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I have three red tops. 8,7, and 3 years old. The 3 year old was a standby that I picked up for $35 at a year old, customer returned to AutoZone and it was fine. The older ones have played duty in two Trans Am's, and now one sits in the T/A and one in my Vette. In the Vette, I simply disconnect the battery if I know I"m not going to be using the car for a couple to few weeks (like over winter) and I hit it once a week with a trickle charge unless I've driven the car that week.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:25 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure glad I didn't jump on the Red Top bandwagon when everyone was raving about them a few years ago. They sound like a PIA.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JMc
I'm sure glad I didn't jump on the Red Top bandwagon when everyone was raving about them a few years ago. They sound like a PIA.
Despite the many, many early failures reported in this forum throughout the last 10 years, people still buy plenty of them. My OEM AC Delco AGM lasted 7 years, but it was always kept fairly well charged. GM stopped installing AGMs in 04, partially because Corvette owners are less likely to use their cars as daily drivers. However, the latest AGM - the Sears Platinum, is a step above the Red and Yellow tops. Unfortunately, it is as heavy as an anchor and costs $180.

Today, there really is no reason to have to use an AGM, as leaking of acid is a thing of the past. The risk is so tiny that I can't see spending the extra money for an AGM. I expect my AC Delco Professional (7YR) to last at least 7 years.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Currently, I have two OPTIMA batteries in personal vehicles...one being now six years old in a daily driver '02 Trailblazer. It's never needed to be on a float charger because it is a daily driver.

The other is now going on four years old in my '04 Z16. It's always on a float charger because it doesn't get driven in winter, and only on nice weekends in the spring/summer.

My personal experience with OPTIMA batteries was prior to them even being available to the general public, in a fleet car. OPTIMA gave them to us to use in our fleet in AZ summers. They gave them to a similar fleet to be used in CO winters. I know for certain none of ours in the AZ fleet failed because I followed the testing. I knew they worked under the rigors of our fleet testing, which convinced me to use them in our personal vehicles.

I've used six previous OPTIMA batteries, in both show cars and daily drivers. The oldest lasted me seven years. Two years after I sold the car, the new owner was still using the same battery.

I never had one fail...
Old 03-21-2010, 05:19 PM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

all batteries fail sooner or later
Old 03-22-2010, 01:12 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

At least you got 4yrs out of yours. Mine didn't make it a Full year. Took it back and had them replace it with an AC Delco Professional and I got Money back. AC Delco is now on it's 2nd year.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi duckvett, I’m sorry to hear about the problems you had with your Redtop. LoneStarFRC is correct on all accounts regarding deeply-discharged batteries. Most of the “bad” batteries returned to us are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly recharged. Many battery chargers will not recognize any battery discharged below 10.5 volts and many flooded batteries cannot be recovered from such a state of discharge. The charging technique LoneStarFRC described is also explained in this video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

While no batteries like to be deeply-discharged, Optima batteries are more resilient to this type of use than typical flooded batteries. The key to long battery life, regardless of brand, is to maintain 12.4 volts at all times, whether through regular use or by using a battery tender or maintainer. If you have any other battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Get notified of new replies

To Another Red Top bites the dust.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
rickko
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny how these keep being the battery of choice amongst the membership of this forum.

My horror story is terrible. I've experienced a RT battery BLOW UP! Yes, it was installed in a Jeep. We were out 4-wheeling, stopped for lunch, about 10 minutes into lunch there was this HUGE explosion. We looked at the jeeps and smoke was coming from under the hood of one of them. Opened the hood to find the battery had exploded! Wierd. What a mess. We had to tow the jeep 10 miles out of the wilderness. Ruined our day. Made a terrible mess of the guy's engine compartment.

I'm the lone wolf on this but I tell ya' Interstate batteries are excellent. They are expensive but are quite long lasting and very reliable.

..rickko..
PS. Read the fine print regarding the warranty before you buy your next Optima. You'll see how they recommend it be maintained to be covered under warranty. Generally shops ignore it but they do require stringent maintenance. IMO, Optimas are above average quality batteries but there are better batteries as well. I'm surprised more in this group don't seek them out. I suggest you find out what is the battery of choice used most in NASCARs race cars where money is no object and reliability is super important to winning races.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:33 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Sorry to but Redtops are garbage. I have read through countless of these threads where they FAIL. And I have had 4 different friends with vettes and other cars have them die or problems with them. Seems like every time there is a problem with a battery, it's a Redtop.

What kind of battery dies if you let the car sit for 3 or 4 days?? Junk. I am surprised yours lasted 4 years

I've left different cars in the past sit for up to 2 weeks in the winter (Delco, Napa and Excide) and never had a problem starting them.

That's my opinion.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

You don't say

Went with a light weight 17lb BRAILLE Battery (AGM Material) in mine

Thanks,Matt

Quick Reply: Another Red Top bites the dust.