Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Reproduction Wheels (Bad Product)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Only in Black
Well Humy you are right. It's a gamble purchasing online unless the vendor provides you pictures of the actual product you buy, but that's highly unlikely.
I forgot to mention- in the end everything worked out w FR, but I had to deal with alot of crap - so I consider it a bad experience
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Only in Black
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
We only sell the best

OP if you need some good C6 Z style wheels contact me.

We've pushed out tons of wheels in the last few months and have heard nothing but good things from my customers. Our wheels do not come from the company mentioned.

Recent customer that purchased these wheels
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-accident.html
JW can you send me a price quote this is what I am looking for:

C6 Z06 style Wheels in black chrome:
Front 18X9.5 with Hankook 285/35ZR 18
Rear 19X11 with Hankook 305/30ZR 19
4 new wheel sensors

I'm in the process of upgrading quite a few things on my C5. Already purchased new "Timkin" wheel bearings, new brake calipers (Painted gloss black), new baer decelerator drilled/slotted rotors, new braided steel brake lines, just waiting for the wheels to do all the work at once.

Next I'm redoing the suspension, then the exhaust, then HID headlight system.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Only in Black
Advanced

Originally Posted by FFIN90
5 years now and no problems, Factory Reproduction Inc. made in China, I guess the quality from over there has gone downhill over the last few years.

Your wheels look nice, wish I would've had your luck. The black caliper and drilled/slotted rotor set up you have is exactly what I want to do also.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Got my first set from WWC and had no problems my second set came from Jonathan at JWMOTORING and were outstanding quality.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
mikelmco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flynbyu2
I think they did you a huge favor by refunding your money instead of giving you a different set of junky wheels.

Count your blessings.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I received the chrome wheel/tire package for my TrailBlazer SS this afternoon from Factory Reproductions. (I ordered them last week.) They were very well packaged. The chrome is perfect and the barrels also look great. The weights are in one place on the inside of the rim.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Only in Black
Advanced

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I received the chrome wheel/tire package for my TrailBlazer SS this afternoon from Factory Reproductions. (I ordered them last week.) They were very well packaged. The chrome is perfect and the barrels also look great. The weights are in one place on the inside of the rim.
Glad to hear it. I don't understand why they tried to push those wheels on me. I guesss they were just trying to get rid of them.

Can you post some pictures, I'd like to see them inside and out if it's not too much trouble.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

Glad to hear it. I don't understand why they tried to push those wheels on me. I guesss they were just trying to get rid of them.

Can you post some pictures, I'd like to see them inside and out if it's not too much trouble.
Admittedly, I was a little concerned after reading your post. I'll try to have my son post some pictures since I'm challenged when it comes to the computer. Keep in mind these aren't Corvette wheels. I ordered mine off of ebay. I screwed up my order and had to contact them by phone. They were very helpful and professional. Factory Reproductions has a 100% satisfaction rating on ebay.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 AM
litpy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I also purchased a set of Factory Reproduction Spider Wheels with Nitto tires and new sensors. Once I got them on the car and programed the sensors I took the car for a ride to make sure they were working right. Did not get more than a block from my house and I heard a loud grinding noise, got out to look and found the left front wheel grinding on the caliper bracket. Of course this would happen on a Saturday and they are not open. Called them on Monday and talked with my salesman and he said they would ship me a new wheel out and pay for return shipping and mounting and balancing. Recieved the new wheel yesterday and will have it mounted on Saturday. They were nice about it and it was a smooth deal. It sucks that you were treated that way though.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 AM
kww
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've purchased 3 different sets of Factory Reproduction wheels and I've had no problems other than a problem with the vendor. (bad wheel lugs) I finally did an end around and called Factory Reproductions direct and spoke to the owner. He shipped me out new lugs-no charge. Now the problems with the rim in my opinon looks more like a shipping problem or a tire mounting problem. As far as the finish of the barrel you are not going to get the same chrome finish as the outside. I expected that because I know for under a grand I'm not going to have the same detail as my Iforge wheels that cost 4 times as much. Outside finish looks great 3 years later. The inside cleans up. In my opinon for the cost of the wheels they are hard to beat.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:15 AM
Only in Black
Advanced

Originally Posted by kww
I've purchased 3 different sets of Factory Reproduction wheels and I've had no problems other than a problem with the vendor. (bad wheel lugs) I finally did an end around and called Factory Reproductions direct and spoke to the owner. He shipped me out new lugs-no charge. Now the problems with the rim in my opinon looks more like a shipping problem or a tire mounting problem. As far as the finish of the barrel you are not going to get the same chrome finish as the outside. I expected that because I know for under a grand I'm not going to have the same detail as my Iforge wheels that cost 4 times as much. Outside finish looks great 3 years later. The inside cleans up. In my opinon for the cost of the wheels they are hard to beat.

The Wheels shipped with very good packaging, so I know they did not get damaged by the shipping Co. You are right about a terrible mounting of tires, but they shipped with the tires mounted so they knew what condition they were shipping out. These particular rims were not under a grand, they charge more for black chrome. As far as the barrels I don't expect the finish to look like the outsides but come on, look at the picture of the wheel with the bad barrel. Go to any local wheel shop and you find the wheels looking like that.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Oldtimer

#1 son forgot his camera yesterday when we bolted on the wheels (They weigh 74 lbs. each). The barrels aren't completely smooth, but the chrome on the face of the wheels is flawless and there are no marks from the tire machine.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 AM
99MALLETT396
Racer

Aren't GM wheels made in China?
Most likely, my 2008 LTZ Tahoe 20 inch wheels are made in China i was surprised.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,256 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Shirl
Sounds familiar. I had problems with them too. The lip of one wheel was lopsided, there were several imperfections in the other wheels and a couple of other issues where the inside of the barrels looked aweful . Their response was "what do you expect for this price?" I couldn't believe it. I sent all of the wheels back and asked for a credit. When they did NOT apply the credit, I called my credit card company and filed a dispute.

All of these repos are made in China. I ended up getting them from OE. They were in MUCH better condition with better service.
In this era customer service has fallen. Quality control has
fallen and the end result for the customer is buyer beware.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
SpankyC-5
Racer

#1 son forgot his camera yesterday when we bolted on the wheels (They weigh 74 lbs. each). The barrels aren't completely smooth, but the chrome on the face of the wheels is flawless and there are no marks from the tire machine.
but I did remember my phone. Sorry for the lousy pic's guys, these are from my 2 year old Instinct.
I think they'll look a lot better once the truck is cleaned and it settles back down after being lifted.

Quick Reply: Factory Reproduction Wheels (Bad Product)