Sponsored by:

For Those who Conceal Carry

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:45 PM
nmacdonald50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Those who Conceal Carry

If you carry concealed, do you change your holster set up when driving your Vette? My problem is I"m left handed and I usually carry strong side with a Super Tuck IWB for my XD 9. That presents two problems, one getting in the car and dealing with the left side bolster. The other problem is sitting comfortably while driving.

Naturally, in my Chevy Z71, I don't have this problem, nor when driving my wifes SUV. But the Vette does pose some challenges.

Just wondering what the rest of you do.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

I take mine off and wedge between seat and seat belt holder. Its just not comfy at all with it on. Im righthanded.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I am right-handed and there are still issues. Some inherent to the Vette, some inherent to cars in general.

I carry a Glock 23 in a Fobus paddle-style holster. Very comfortable and a great means of good concealment. It is a challenge to get to the 23 in the Vette, but I adjust it a bit forward as I sit down and it is a good carry.

Now, all that said, even with training, most ALL people will hang up on the steeringwheel when they draw under a pressured situation. I have many, many classes, including those involving driving and it is amazing how easy it is to hit the wheel, and even some discharge the weapon into the car at that point. The instructor stressed a slow and deliberate draw paying special attention to who and what you "cover" while in the draw motion.

It would seem to me that you being left-handed is actually a good thing in the case of a car issue. I see your concern, but I think that you actually have an advantage in the big picture. I don't think that a cross-draw holster offeres you any advantage, and other than placing the weapon in the seat next to you, I really can't think of another option than to experiment with a higher position holster and lots of practice.

Let me know what you find.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
My Vert
Intermediate

I wish I could.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
rbrtclk
Racer

I am left handed and carry on left side inside the waistband holster.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:29 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm right handed and use an inside the pants holster. In the vette it can be annoying. I take it out of the holster, leaving it in my pants, and put the gun in between my legs or lap. This way you don't forget it when you go to get out. I am totally against the glove compartment thing. If you were to get out for gas and needed your weapon going back to the car is illegal, because you had the option to retreat in most states. Answering the immediate threat is legal.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

oh forgot. glock 32 .357 sig
Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Right handed. Carry front hip. Holster is a modified paddle type with a 15 degree FBI cant. It is not a problem when sitting or driving.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 PM
ff_jeff
Instructor

IMO a left hand draw is good for a threat on the passenger door. But awkward for the driver door. You could make a holster for when your driving that is in front of the seat between your legs. IMO I would make it a right draw. Even if your left handed. That way a driver door threat is not > < a passenger door threat. Also if left in car for when you should not have your weapon... like bank, bar, school or the such. It not in plain site in the car either. I think the best option is to carry 2. One in the car, and a small guy on your person. But thats just IMO.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Horizontal shoulder rig, left side, M1911. No troubles, just keep a jacket on.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by nmacdonald50
If you carry concealed, do you change your holster set up when driving your Vette? My problem is I"m left handed and I usually carry strong side with a Super Tuck IWB for my XD 9. That presents two problems, one getting in the car and dealing with the left side bolster. The other problem is sitting comfortably while driving.

Naturally, in my Chevy Z71, I don't have this problem, nor when driving my wifes SUV. But the Vette does pose some challenges.

Just wondering what the rest of you do.
Try a holster set up for a cross-draw or an under arm holster.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
MacD50
Heel & Toe

Great feedback. Thanks....
Old 03-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

I havent done it a lot but I did carry my Sig P226 on my belt without any big issue. I of course could feel it and knew it was there from the pushing caused by contact with the seat. The real issue I would worry about is the damage to the seat from extended carry. A shoulder holster would be the best solution.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/Unive...-Mount-p5.html
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

That looked good until I saw it said without holster. For a set of straps, that is exremely overpriced.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im also a left handed guy. I carry a 1911 .45. I keep mine on me it doesnt really bother me or the seat, and I can still pull it if I need to

Last edited by 0331MARINE; 03-06-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,299 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Mine is under the seat.

Get notified of new replies

To For Those who Conceal Carry

Old 03-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default I'm left handed

Ive been carrying since 1974... My best friend was killed in a car jacking... I belong to a gun club and shoot every week.. Thursday nights and Saturday and Sunday... I'm naturally left handed and left eye dominent... Forget about a holster while strapped in the car... I practice with all my hand guns.. both left handed and right handed.. The only threat you may have is a jacking, while " In the car..." I use a Mike's Pocket holster to protect my leather seats...I place what ever I'm carrying that day in the passengers seat slot by the passengers seat belt lock.. my right arm is resting on the console inches from the hand gun. I can be " In control and protected in a second, whether the threat IS FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE OR THE PASSENGERS SIDE.. grabbing the gun from the middle of the car gives you more flexibility in directing your shot.. trying to draw from the left side of the car or with your left hand will almost handcuff you for a drivers side threat... IN almost 40 years Ive only had to draw a weapon in my car twice... but not because of a direct threat but because of a potential threat... both times the gun was in my hand safety off, hammer cocked. Having a carry permit gives me peace of mind that, I have a chance, I'M a good shot.. and am in control...I also use a mike's pocket holster when out of the car... Its very easy to put my left hand in my pocket, click off the safety and **** the hammer.. to anyone it looks like I'm just putting my hand in my pocket...its a non threatening action... but I'm ready, and the threat never sees it ... I use to carry every type of holster.over the years...but a holster, be in cross draw, ISW, SOW, shoulder concealed, middle of the back, etc requires that you have to go for it... that takes to long in a defensive attempt.. Anytime as a civilian, you will be the victim, and usually on their ( bad guy ) terms. You will never have time to draw from a holster but if you are aware of a potential threat , just putting your hand in your pocket , doesnt threaten any innocent people, and a bad guy will usually pass on someone with their hand in their pocket. You have to get the jump on the bad guy that's why I practice shooting left and right handed... and I always am at the ready, one in the chamber with any of my automatics, all I need is to click off the safety.. I also have Crimson Trace Laser grips on all of my hand guns.. sometimes just turning on the red laser dot ( all you do is squeeze the hand grip ) ....when that dot appears on someone chest, they tend to back off... So for the lefties that carry to protect from a jacking.. you need to be able to use it.. so carrying in the car on your left side , wont get it done, when the threat is on the left side of the car.. I hope this helps those left handers...like me.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 AM
BobAruba
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holster varies from a Safariland inside trouser waistband to a Viking “Miami” shoulder holster. I’ve worn both in the Vette and other vehicles at different times dependant upon the occasion and the weather with no problems.

Generally I would suggest you stick with one holster that is comfortable, that you like and will become familiar with… rather than swapping gun positions with different holsters. A high-pressure event could delay your draw and screw up your reaction time.

It is not a good idea to carry your personal defense weapon in your glove box, center console or under the seat. I don’t know of anyone who has gone to the range to practice drawing their weapon from those positions… not a good idea. Practice drawing your pistol from your frequent carry position… then practice some more.

Carried a Colt 1911 45 in ’65 & ’69 in Nam. For the next 30 years it was the Combat Commander 45 personal carry off duty. For the last 10 years into retirement a Colt Officer’s 45 is my weapon of choice. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Sorry for the lecture. Fire for familiarization as often as you can… your life may depend on it… and be careful out there.

Semper Fi
Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Mine is under the seat.
under the seat can move around, you dont want to be fumbling for your gun when its a nice sunny day, and you are stopped at a light... Scenario.. your stopped at a light. , in front of you id s guy who is looking to jack a nice corvette, suddenly he jumps out of the car.. you wonder what he is doing.. he pulls a gun and yells at you to get out of the car...he is now 3 feet from your window, and you are ten seconds a way from trying to get your gun from somewhere under your seat.. you wont have the time.. all you have is the one or two seconds when you realize that you are being jacked...when I see someone get out of their car and come toward me..my gun is already in my hand, and I'M painting a target on their chest before they get ten feet from me. MY best friend tried to get away but they put two in his chest
he had a brand new Cadillac, he left a wife and two little kids.... they caught the guys...

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-06-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: For Those who Conceal Carry