C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Designing new front lip...need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Only problem with that lip is it looks kinda plain, not to mention the pix aren't that great. I need something I can clearly see so the prototyper has an idea of what to build. The lip looks like a flat piece just following the lines of the front bumper (not knocking it but it looks cheap) I want something that will look good and not be too aggressive at the same time.
True it is somewhat plain, but when I did research on this forum in various threads dating far back until now most chose this lip. I hope no one minds me posting from past threads, but these were taken from various threads over the past couple of years. If the "plane" lip is extended out slightly it does give it a more aggressive look. Click the link below for more ideas...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...-300-00-a.html

[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah thats a splitter though, I want to make something more along the lines of the ACI lip. What makes it tough is the bottom of the C5 bumper is kinda plain, just straight really. My manufacturer is ready to start on this, hopefully we can get an idea going pretty soon.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Yeah thats a splitter though, I want to make something more along the lines of the ACI lip. What makes it tough is the bottom of the C5 bumper is kinda plain, just straight really. My manufacturer is ready to start on this, hopefully we can get an idea going pretty soon.
I have an idea, think of the APR splitter as the model and it's installed like on the Mag red, but not sticking out as far...maybe half inch back. You then build up the front of it adding layers to it to give it depth and make sure it follows the same line as the front bumper. It would also have to be flush with the bumper and given somewhat of a point. (Don't know if your understand what I'm saying) It would install the same way from underneath the car and it would end up looking somewhat ZR1 ish... if I got time later today I'll try and mock something up for a better visual.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Lol, here is something I came up quickly to hopefully get someone going on some ideas. I used the ACI lip to go off of to get you guys started. I know somone has to come up with something we can mostly agree on

ACI lip

Here is is again, but I made the center more filled in and the openings wider

And again, kept it same in the middle just opened it up

Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have to ask what to build? then dont.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I talked to my manufacturer and they said they could do urethane but retail would be around $499 compared to $399 for fiberglass. For that price difference I would take urethane anyday. However he said we would need to order 25 up front. For the first 25 if we could get that many I would do a Group Buy price of $399 for urethane, which would be an excellent deal. I do like the idea of it wraping over the top of the bumper in the grill area, I would assume that would make it more sturdy as well. We just need to come up with a design and i'll make it happen.
If your going to make one to replace the front air dam, I think it's got to be made out of Urethane otherwise if made out of fiberglas the thing will be broken within the fisrt 100 miles of driving. That goes for Carbon Fiber as well. GM made the air dam oy of Urethane cause they knew it was going to be scraped and dragged across concrete from time to time and even made a note of it in the owners manual, stating that it was normal for the plastic air dam to scrape in some parking lots ?

And what about the center section ? Without that piece the engines cooling capacity is going to be compromised to the point that a lot of engine tempertures are going to be a lot higher than normal. And late model Corvettes have a tough time running with normal tempertures in the summer as it is.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

As mentioned previously, the ACI spoiler is fine, just a tad tall. Here it is as currently sold:

and here it is shortened, with the center support removed (although it could stay):

Old 02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by STALION

I like the one on the Torch Red. It is really aggressive looking and the cutout for the air flow is nice. I would like to know who mades it. I would not want to have to mount the two supports/adjustment points that are on the Mag Red.

I realize that the lower front facial will require some work to get that opening, but if you want aggressive, that is it.

Last edited by BWF07; 02-19-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default you're good, really good...

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
...and here it is shortened, with the center support removed (although it could stay):

Nice c5vetteguy!!

I like it. Simple.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 PM
hotmerc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shortened ACI gets my vote!!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by mtndv8
Nice c5vetteguy!!

I like it. Simple.

C5vetteguy and Michael work so good together This is money.. I'm down for that as a front fascia that is one piece will look even better as it can be more seamless, yeah?!

Or you could put a chin like C5vetteguys rendition on something like this! Please feel free to doodle C5VG!

As is with C5VG's chin maybe insert some factory type inlets? I dunno...

Here is Kevin Dixon's ACP front... I don't think it's their usual line? I need to ask him if he requested it custom shorter? I LOVE it though.. notice how it's similar to C5VG's photochop?! Hawtness
Old 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrent

Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm respectfully not going to touch that silver car as it has lost a lot of the C5's style already. I could put it back, but then we'd basically be starting with a stock bumper anyway. As much as I'm all for seamless integration, and I do like the ACP overlay spoiler (except for the overlay part), I don't think we need to reinvent the whole front fascia. Tigershark has done that nicely, if you want something different from the original C5 design.

I, personally, am interested in a short addition to the stock front fascia. Again, ACI did a fine job with their style, and with no other options available, I'd buy one of theirs and shorten it to look like the mock-up I did above. Clean and simple, attached from underneath, no extra seams or overlap, no extra vents or scoops. There's not a lot of real estate involved, so prepping and painting would be minimal, particularly compared to a full fascia. Priced at $299, I'd buy one in a Heartbeat.

Last edited by c5vetteguy; 02-19-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
2004SpiralGrey
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STALION

Without a doubt, a lip like this would be the one.
it's not even a lip...it's a flat piece of carbon fiber bolted to the bottom...I could make that one out of plywood and it would look the same
Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtndv8
Nice c5vetteguy!!

I like it. Simple.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned previously, the ACI spoiler is fine, just a tad tall. Here it is as currently sold:

]
Another twist off of yours

Last edited by tslick98; 02-21-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 PM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and here it is shortened, with the center support removed (although it could stay):

That shortened one looks great , something in that line would be a winner

Get notified of new replies

To Designing new front lip...need help!!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

BINGO!!!! Id buy a shorter ACI spoiler!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
canyon lake corvette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Pete is right on target getting ideas, if more companies did the research Petes doing, you wouldnt see so much lame crap out there.....

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If you have to ask what to build? then dont.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Only problem with that lip is it looks kinda plain, not to mention the pix aren't that great. I need something I can clearly see so the prototyper has an idea of what to build. The lip looks like a flat piece just following the lines of the front bumper (not knocking it but it looks cheap) I want something that will look good and not be too aggressive at the same time.
I have one on my car, they are not cheap, and they look great up close, real carbon fiber. Torchfrc on here makes them at his shop.

Quick Reply: Designing new front lip...need help!!