Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

skunk smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
NYVette01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ckeck for gear oil leaks. Even a tiny amount of gear oil sends a VERY stong scent and it can smell like skunk.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYVette01
Ckeck for gear oil leaks. Even a tiny amount of gear oil sends a VERY stong scent and it can smell like skunk.
i have looked under car and also check every time i drive it and no traces of leaks.

i did have the front main replaced by dealer when i bought it and they claimed new seal couldn't be guaranteed unless i replaced harmonic balancer as well....something about the grooves in the new seal???? but could this really bring the smell??

drove it again yesterday and once it heated up again faint skunk

only hope is it goes away like it did for 1badf350

will try any suggestions.....in process of customizing jackstands so once they are done i will look again for any minor leaks.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
yep....that was the first thing i did.....we were still in 70degree weather and i let it sit out all day one sunny day hoping it would change.

might be tires.........they WERE just added......the shop owner had just bought a new "touchless" tire mounting system (machine picks up tire and mounts it all automated) and i was the first customer......thought maybe the 2+hr ride to atlanta would have worn that off but maybe not?? is there a safe chemical to put on tires that might help?? (i have washed the tires and car several times since i've owned it)
Tires were my first suspicion but it is odd that the smell would come and go. Still worth checking. If it is a tire (hopefully just one) it's probably too late to get the tire shop to do anything about it.

Good Luck
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
ahphares
Instructor

Do you own a dog, let he/she sniff around and see what they find. If its an animal origin the'll be right on it! Chemical smell, not so much.

Andy
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think someone stuffed some Marijuana under your Seat or Stuck some in your Venting just to mess with you. Someone also could have Hot Boxed your Vett while it was in the Shop.

Last edited by slvrzo6; 02-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Get the QP of weed out of the trunk.

j/k
Old 02-21-2010, 11:29 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by slvrzo6
I personally think someone stuffed some Marijuana under your Seat or Stuck some in your Venting just to mess with you. Someone also could have Hot Boxed your Vett while it was in the Shop.
unfortunately i found no weed when i was adding sound sheets under the carpet

looks like i'll have to wait it out.....if i ever do find it i will post the source.....it's just driving me crazy cause i can't find it
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Silver Beast
Advanced

You wrote you had new tires mounted, my vert smelled like horse manure when I had Nitto Invos mounted, it took me a while to figure out where the smell was coming from, some days are better than others.
It's some kind of chemical they use in the tire, other than the smell, the tires are great.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:44 AM
woah99
1st Gear

Default Same Skunk smell

Just wondering if you had any resolution to this yet. My wife has a 2000 c5 and it does the same thing. If she drives it enough to get warmed up and parks it in the garage the whole place smells like a skunk. We had owned it for a while with no problem, took it in had the pulleys, tensioners and belts replaced and ever since the skunk smell has been there. Should we replace the belts again??
Old 04-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,438 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by redrckt97
check for exhaust leaks Ahead of the cats - smells pretty skunk-like.
Would be a good place to look for the source of the smell.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Check out my previous post:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ber-smell.html

It did sort of smell like skunk at times.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:03 AM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by woah99
Just wondering if you had any resolution to this yet. My wife has a 2000 c5 and it does the same thing. If she drives it enough to get warmed up and parks it in the garage the whole place smells like a skunk. We had owned it for a while with no problem, took it in had the pulleys, tensioners and belts replaced and ever since the skunk smell has been there. Should we replace the belts again??
thought it went away then pulled it out the other day......back again. i did finally get a response from the other forum member who had the exact same prob and he related it to the belts/pulleys. he had same thing done and after the smell came on. he said it finally wore off. mine has not yet, but i rarely drive it.......and when i do its to dinner then home no real miles or hours so to speak.

one member related it to oxygen sensor sheath touching the exhaust but i just had my exhaust out for a starter replacement and my pipes were squeaky clean. i was hoping to find skunk remains on the upper side of a pipe but no luck.

i tried the heating the exhaust up trick.....holding the rpms up a little higher and longer for a slow burn but never really noticed a difference.

if you do find an exact cause or fix let me know
Old 04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow, that is a problem, I experienced it once on my car after driving it hard and couldnt find anything either. I am betting it is the catalytic converters, it just has to be!!! What else could it be?? I have smelled the same thing on some other cars in traffic and my first thought is converter issues. Take it to a reputable muffler shop for consultation.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:56 PM
BuGG
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
if you do find an exact cause or fix let me know
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have a little input on the subject...

My car (not a Vette) started smelling really strongly like a skunk (nothing like rotten eggs, pure skunk/marijuana smell) after a short drive. The first time I smelled it was after parking, I thought the people in the car parked next to me had some really strong marijuana, so I ignored it. After noticing it on several other occasions I realized the smell was coming from under my car.

Conclusion: My catalytic converter is shot.... The honeycomb internals are burned and crumbling out.

Thought this would be worth mentioning.
Robert
Old 04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the tire shop took your car for a test or joy ride, hit a skunk and didn't tell ya........

Quick Reply: skunk smell