Sponsored by:

Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 907VET
5% on Pewter all the way around, illegal here but sure looks good!

I have 5% on the Rear Window of my Camaro and I hate it - Way too dark and at night you can't even see thru it. Wish I wouldn't have done it so dark.

I won't tint the Vette at all in the back due to the Rear Defroster and antenna. So I won't tint the sides either at all because of this. My windows are virgin clean
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Vette707
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saxtech
I have 5% on the Rear Window of my Camaro and I hate it - Way too dark and at night you can't even see thru it. Wish I wouldn't have done it so dark.

I won't tint the Vette at all in the back due to the Rear Defroster and antenna. So I won't tint the sides either at all because of this. My windows are virgin clean
Why is there a problem with tinting the back window with a rear defroster and antenna ?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Vette707
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
I'll try some pics from the inside to show what 20% looks like.
This was about 2pm on a partly sunny day (last Sunday).
No problems driving at night, dark enough in the day to see in slightly on the sides, and back is ok to see in due to the light from the windshield.

Andy, Thanks for the pictures. looks good.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:18 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette707
Andy, Thanks for the pictures. looks good.
No problem. It was trying to get you real world pics to help you understand the inside visual impacts at 20%.

I guess I am getting a little older.
Cool regardless of safety concerns don't cut it for me anymore.
I like to take a middle ground.
It can be cool, but its also got to be practical and safe.

Backing up this morning at my house (530am and dark), I could still see out the back window safely (currently no tint on the back up lights).
I think 20% is on the edge of backing up the car safely without outside lighting.

20% has also worked for me when looking right or left at a intersection.
My last car had tint too dark on the side windows,
I had to roll the windows down at night to safely survey the roads at a intersection.

Have fun.

Andy
Old 02-10-2010, 03:39 PM
robbyd831
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any pics of torch red vettes with tints?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Unleashed
Intermediate

what about cali , any guys from cali with legal tint on here ?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM
prcmauricio
Advanced

got 20% on mine
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
MistyBlue
Advanced

Default When you are

talking about tint for example 35%, are you referring to the spec on the film or the finished product on the glass (taking into consideration the factory tint of 75%)

With a factory tint of 75% If I a wrong tell me but, if you were using film of 35% it would really be .75 x .35 = 26%
Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MistyBlue
talking about tint for example 35%, are you referring to the spec on the film or the finished product on the glass (taking into consideration the factory tint of 75%)

With a factory tint of 75% If I a wrong tell me but, if you were using film of 35% it would really be .75 x .35 = 26%
Just the spec of the film.

yes you are correct.

To truly be accurate you need to combine the factory tint rating with the aftermarket rating in series to get a combined tint rating. But that would be too complicated to keep track of with everyone.

Most likely it is appropriate to not take into account the factory tint, since everyone probably has the same factory tint level as a base. But I could be wrong.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by Vette707
Why is there a problem with tinting the back window with a rear defroster and antenna ?
The problem isn't with tinting the back window if it has a defroster or antenna, the problem comes if or when the tint has to be removed for any reason (fading, cracking, don't like the visibility, ect. ect. ect...) Those little tiny wires can easily get damaged in the removal process and then you are in deep doo-doo ..... Second - if it is not a perfect tint job, you can sometimes see un-clear areas on the dot-matrix and around the defroster wires as the tint does not adhere flat to these bumps thus causing an air void even though it is a very tiny void.

I love the way tint looks on the outside of the car but I have to be VERY Sure I am not going to want to ever take it off - So I just keep my windows virgin clean for now.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:19 PM
saxtech
Pro

Originally Posted by Unleashed
what about cali , any guys from cali with legal tint on here ?
In California, any tint that is not applied IN THE GLASS at the factory is illeagal on the drivers side window and on the passenger side window.

You can tint rear windows with film and on a 4 door car you can tint the rear side windows with film tint.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Exoray
Instructor

Originally Posted by andrewdonald1
Most likely it is appropriate to not take into account the factory tint, since everyone probably has the same factory tint level as a base. But I could be wrong.
Most shops will take into consideration the factory tint if they are complying with the law and aiming for a certain level... They will meter the glass and tint and work up numbers to get a desired overall percent... Now if you just request 35% film and the shop doesn't care about staying within the law or there is no law then the numbers probably don't take the factory tint into consideration...

Note that tint meters are cheap (at least for law enforcement) so many departments carry them in car and it's a simple slide over your window and take a reading if they want to press the issue... It's an overall reading through the glass that they will measure...
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 408 Likes on 306 Posts

[QUOTE=JPM@AutoBuffs;1573033947]35% is the lowest you can go in NY. your not to far from us ..give me a call if you decide to do it and we can hook you up.

Here's an old pic of our shop c5 with 5% all around..
[QUOTE]

When did you tint the car?

Originally Posted by robbyd831
any pics of torch red vettes with tints?

Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 PM
0JPM@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Location: The AutoBuffs Army is unmatched in the Custom world! www.autobuffs.net
S. Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

[QUOTE=slowtealz28;1573057680][QUOTE=JPM@AutoBuffs;1573033947]35% is the lowest you can go in NY. your not to far from us ..give me a call if you decide to do it and we can hook you up.

Here's an old pic of our shop c5 with 5% all around..

When did you tint the car?

Before it got ripped apart.

John@autobuffs
Auto Buffs LLC.
2 Kerry Ct,; Suite E
Southampton, NJ 08088
OFFICE_609-859-0900
CELL_856-776-3079

www.autobuffs.net
Custom Painting & Airbrushing
Pinstriping
Custom Detailing
Car Audio
Mobile Electronics & Video
Remote Car Starters / Alarms

Authorized HRE / IFORGED Dealer
Authorized East Coast Supercharging Dealer
Authorized TireRack Dealer
Authorized Carravaggio Dealer
Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 PM
andrewdonald1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Exoray
Most shops will take into consideration the factory tint if they are complying with the law and aiming for a certain level... They will meter the glass and tint and work up numbers to get a desired overall percent... Now if you just request 35% film and the shop doesn't care about staying within the law or there is no law then the numbers probably don't take the factory tint into consideration...

Note that tint meters are cheap (at least for law enforcement) so many departments carry them in car and it's a simple slide over your window and take a reading if they want to press the issue... It's an overall reading through the glass that they will measure...
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Andy

Quick Reply: Window Tinting