Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Repair hole in leather seat

SEE UPDATE BELOW
I had both seats (Sport model all black) recovered about a year and a half ago. They were 100% leather skins from Corvette America, not the most expensive but they look good and have lasted well. However, I was doing my monthly conditioning using Lexol today and discovered a small hole in the passenger bottom on the bolster facing front, left hand side. It is almost hidden because it almost faces the driveline tunnel. It is the size of a pencil eraser in circumference, but I know it is there now and it needs to be fixed. Has anyone used a patch kit that they can recommend or should I take it to an upholstery shop, or just replace the seat bottom?

I never noticed it before so dont think it was there when the shop returned the car with the new covers, and no one in the family is laying claim to doing it!
Thanks.

UPDATE: As it turns out the hole and another just around the seam on the panel facing the drive line tunnel are supposed to be there. If you look at the drivers side seat bottom/seat cushion left hand side there is the bottom frame cover that houses the seat adjustments which connect via two screws that go through the seat cover itself. It lines up perfectly with the two holes on my passenger side seat bottom/seat cushion. So either the installer put the passenger side on the drivers side and punched his own holes before discovering he had switched the bottoms, or the vendor shipped two drivers side bottoms, or they only come that way and you are left with the two holes on the passenger side though not needed (though I doubt this). Anyway, the upholstery shop wants $185.00 to repair (they will only replace the entire panels with the holes, not patch) so I will try the patch kit first. Thought about going back to the shop who installed the covers but they are now 450 miles away and it was over a year ago so dont think they will be very helpful. Live and learn to check everything really close before accepting it as complete.

Last edited by alxltd1; 01-27-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

That would bug me too. I've had limited success with leather and vinyl repair kits. The have multiple colors included in the kits. I've used them on motorcycle seats only though. Depending on the location of the patch, it might hold, might not. It'll still be there which would still bug me.

Do a GOOGLE search using keywords "vinyl repair kit" and you'll find lots of products.

A repair by a professional shop might be a better solution...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Magic Mender.

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/

Used it to repair my C4 steering wheel and it is an amazing product.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

Remove the bottom seat cover and take it to an upholstery shop. They should be able to match the leather and replace just that panel inexpensively.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

See if you have a vendor nearby that specializes in leather/vinyl repair. We have one called Dr. Vinyl and they do a great job matching not only the grain but also the color on their repairs.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,577 Likes on 664 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Walmart carries a good leather repair kit (can't remember the name off the top of my head). It's in the auto section. You can also get it at most auto stores. Costs about $10. Has all different colors in it and you can mix them (for a custom shade) if need be. Directions are simple. You apply to the repair, then put a little heated iron over a textured piece of fabric on top of the repair and it mends/blends it back together.

Are these seats black? If so, you're lucky. I did my shale seats this way and mixed the color by hand. No reason you can't repair this yourself!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shirl
Walmart carries a good leather repair kit (can't remember the name off the top of my head). It's in the auto section. You can also get it at most auto stores. Costs about $10. Has all different colors in it and you can mix them (for a custom shade) if need be. Directions are simple. You apply to the repair, then put a little heated iron over a textured piece of fabric on top of the repair and it mends/blends it back together.

Are these seats black? If so, you're lucky. I did my shale seats this way and mixed the color by hand. No reason you can't repair this yourself!
The seats are black and I found the repair kit at O'Rielly's Auto Parts, so given the location of the hole I take a stab at repairing it. If it comes out really bad I will take it to a shop. Thanks for all the replies and info from everyone.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
DAV162
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Magic Mender.

http://www.leatherrepairkits.com/

Used it to repair my C4 steering wheel and it is an amazing product.
I agree used this last year and the color match is great and easy to use. It also has held up very well.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Default bump for update

see update

Get notified of new replies

To Repair hole in leather seat

Quick Reply: Repair hole in leather seat