Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's been your experience having your windshield replaced ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
DansVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What's been your experience having your windshield replaced ?

I have received quotes from $269.00 all the way up to $817.00.
Some of the places claimed I absolutely have to have the moulding replaced along with the winshield. These quotes were over the phone. One place told me the moulding alone was $479.00 !!
Anyone have any experience with any of the national companies ?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
convette01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine replaced two months ago by a local company. The owner owned a C5. I did have the molding replaced and had to wait 4 weeks due to a shortage . There is a chance they can damage the existing molding upon removal. It was covered under insurance and the bill was over $1,000.00

A couple of items:
If you have a HUD make sure HUD glass is ordered.
Inspect the new glass prior to install for any chipping on the corners, the first new glass delivered was not installed because of this.

Good Luck
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
DansVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by convette01
I had mine replaced two months ago by a local company. The owner owned a C5. I did have the molding replaced and had to wait 4 weeks due to a shortage . There is a chance they can damage the existing molding upon removal. It was covered under insurance and the bill was over $1,000.00

A couple of items:
If you have a HUD make sure HUD glass is ordered.
Inspect the new glass prior to install for any chipping on the corners, the first new glass delivered was not installed because of this.

Good Luck
$1000.00 ! Ouch !!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
vettes4fun
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To do it right you have to replace the weather striping. You can cut the corners at the top of the weather striping and seal them back down but this is not the right way to do it. A lot of insurance company's do it this way to save money. I had one put in my 97 coupe at a glass shop 3 years ago and they charge Allstate $988.00 and 2 years ago one put in my 98 pace car at a body shop and it was like $600.00. Both places replaced the weather striping around the window.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

For sure...Replace the molding. Also, ask for GM glass. I had my windshield replaced 3 or so years ago but am not happy with the glass. I didn't notice right away, but the class is not totally clear. There's like a haze I can't seem to clean off. It's really not noticable until you get in just the right sunlight. Just be careful on the glass they use. My replacement was ~ $750.00 (w/ the molding) . Good luck
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 PM
rwcantrell
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check for waves/distortions in the glass as well, mine replacement has a slight wave, pretty sure it was done at a national chain, but would have to check.

Get notified of new replies

To What's been your experience having your windshield replaced ?

Quick Reply: What's been your experience having your windshield replaced ?