Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does all Gas have 10% Ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Several years ago the EPA said that the oil companies could no longer use MTBE in the fuel to cut exhaust emissions. MTBE was mandated for use in quite a few areas around the country but not all. The mandated substitute for MTBE is Ethanol at 10% of the fuel. 10% Ethanol cuts down on polution. All of the other Ethanol mixes have something to do with cutting down on carbon emissions. When they made the switch we had several months of gasoline shortages in my area because the Ethanol manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand.

Bill
Old 01-01-2010, 04:09 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone would thing Ethanol was a bad thing. The truth is that it's cleaner and naturally has a higher octane rating.

E85 alone has a 105-106 octane rating. F.I. race cars use E85 because it's cheaper than C16 and works extremely well for racing.

Some will argue that you get worse mileage with the added 10-15% added to standard pump gas (which is true) but not by much. My Z06 ran 91 (with 15% Ethanol) and still got between 28-30MPG on the highway at 70MPH. But I've heard from many sources that they got 1-2 MPG less overall with 10-15% ethanol. HOWEVER, the good thing about that percentage is that it actually is quite GOOD for your car. Most fuel injection cleaners are actually just alcohol with a couple additives. Ethanol additives actually help clean your fuel system. It also burns longer and cooler than gasoline.

Technically, if you use 10% ethanol blended gasoline, you shouldn't ever need a fuel injection cleaner. I use 91 octane Chevron gas. Here it has a 10% mix. I didn't ever need injector cleaner. I did however try it once and didn't see a single benefit from it.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:07 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm not sure why anyone would thing Ethanol was a bad thing. The truth is that it's cleaner and naturally has a higher octane rating.

E85 alone has a 105-106 octane rating. F.I. race cars use E85 because it's cheaper than C16 and works extremely well for racing.

Some will argue that you get worse mileage with the added 10-15% added to standard pump gas (which is true) but not by much. My Z06 ran 91 (with 15% Ethanol) and still got between 28-30MPG on the highway at 70MPH. But I've heard from many sources that they got 1-2 MPG less overall with 10-15% ethanol. HOWEVER, the good thing about that percentage is that it actually is quite GOOD for your car. Most fuel injection cleaners are actually just alcohol with a couple additives. Ethanol additives actually help clean your fuel system. It also burns longer and cooler than gasoline.

Technically, if you use 10% ethanol blended gasoline, you shouldn't ever need a fuel injection cleaner. I use 91 octane Chevron gas. Here it has a 10% mix. I didn't ever need injector cleaner. I did however try it once and didn't see a single benefit from it.
I drive out of my way to buy non ethanol gasoline. Although much of what you say is true, what hasn't been addressed is the political side of ethanol production in the U.S. However, let's not ruin this thread with that discussion and instead keep it educational for those who have just learned that not all gasoline is still their father's gasoline.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:11 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with what you said. And yeah, I'd say that the politics behind Ethanol suck. But here in Cali, we don't have a choice either way. ALL gasoline options here in California are Ethanol blends except for 100+ octane which can be had at certain Union 76 stations for twice the price of 91.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I agree with what you said. And yeah, I'd say that the politics behind Ethanol suck. But here in Cali, we don't have a choice either way. ALL gasoline options here in California are Ethanol blends except for 100+ octane which can be had at certain Union 76 stations for twice the price of 91.
Up here in the 'frozen tundra' (oxymoron) of Wisconsin you can still find real gas which is 91 octane. Many of the marinas stock only non ethanol fuel too. Of course everything good comes with a price and 100% gasoline is usually 10 cents more than premium with corn-derived fuel. The UW Madison received a $250 million grant to find a low energy intensive way of extracting sugars from plants other than ag feed stocks. If/when successful, our buddies in the land of oil and sand may have to adjust to a slightly lower standard of living.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by waunavet
I drive out of my way to buy non ethanol gasoline. Although much of what you say is true, what hasn't been addressed is the political side of ethanol production in the U.S. However, let's not ruin this thread with that discussion and instead keep it educational for those who have just learned that not all gasoline is still their father's gasoline.

Oh lets' good ahead and ruin it but not before a few facts. Ethanol is highly corrosive to aluminum, rubber, etc. I also has a limited shelf life when compared to pure gasoline. Gas mileage is less for sure.

Your tax dollars prop up the ethanol business. It actually costs more to produce that gasoline and the diff is made up for political reasons with you tax dollars. Say Thank you corn farmers. I'll quit there for now!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:17 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '20

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Oh lets' good ahead and ruin it but not before a few facts. Ethanol is highly corrosive to aluminum, rubber, etc. I also has a limited shelf life when compared to pure gasoline. Gas mileage is less for sure.

Your tax dollars prop up the ethanol business. It actually costs more to produce that gasoline and the diff is made up for political reasons with you tax dollars. Say Thank you corn farmers. I'll quit there for now!
Now, now.........put down your keyboard and take a couple deep breaths. Yes, what you say is true. But as stated earlier, let's keep the thread a basic educational lesson that affirms all gas is not equal. All the why's and how's are for another day.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by waunavet
Now, now.........put down your keyboard and take a couple deep breaths. Yes, what you say is true. But as stated earlier, let's keep the thread a basic educational lesson that affirms all gas is not equal. All the why's and how's are for another day.

Well spoken retort! Facts shouldn't clutter up BS fuel type discussions!
Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 PM
waunavet
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '20

Well spoken retort! Facts shouldn't clutter up BS fuel type discussions!
That's better.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gas mileage is less for sure.
I'll ditto that!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Rupert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Can't really ever say ALL without being wrong.

Most gas has up to 10% ethanol. It's an emissions thing. Ethanol is used in place of PTFE taht was used but is highly toxic and leached into the ground from tanks.

If you really must have ethanol free ( and honestly 10% isn't going to hurt anything on your car) you could try marine fuel. I think most of that is still ethanol free.
I think you meant ethanol is to replace MTBE. I believe PTFE is teflon.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've seen one station around here that advertises no alcohol in their premium gas.

Quick Reply: Does all Gas have 10% Ethanol?