Sponsored by:

I'm curious

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I'm curious

How many people have a mod that they regret? What was it and why?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Long ago I installed a "Brushed Aluminum" stick on dash kit. Thought it would look cool. Didn't. Finally ripped it all off last year and I appreciate the all black interior a lot more now. Just a few mods now like a boost and fuel guage with a shift light!!! Just right!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

Not much of a mod, but one A hole of a vendor that sells insulation and partitions sent me a crappy partition and did not follow through on his oft stated wonderful customer service.
Other than that I have been extremely happy with everything I have done as well as all of the other vendors I have dealt with.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steve8
Not much of a mod, but one A hole of a vendor that sells insulation and partitions sent me a crappy partition and did not follow through on his oft stated wonderful customer service.
Other than that I have been extremely happy with everything I have done as well as all of the other vendors I have dealt with.
Haha. I wonder who that could be. I got hosed by the same A-hole on an insulation kit I ordered.Sorry to hear I wasn't the only person he got over on.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:40 PM
chevy406
Tech Contributor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I wish I hadn't installed my z-grip Textralia clutch. It is way too grabby for a daily driver. I have been putting up with it for 8 or 9 months. It works, but I wish I had gotten the x-grip or maybe an LS7.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the flushed tail lights, and I took the so called kit off faster than it took me to put it on.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

My c6 Z06 wheels.

I do like the look of the wheels let me say first. What i wish i would have done was to not get them in 17 and 18

They have help up great and are still perfect after 4 years of having them on the car now. of course they have less than 8000 miles on them in 4 years

They will be for sale this spring when my new wheels 19/20 or 18/19 I will be ordering will go on the car.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think about new mods so long and hard, and read post and ask so many questions that by the time I pull the trigger I am really sure that I want it.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancejoker
How many people have a mod that they regret? What was it and why?
Regret buying a Handheld tuner instead of first going to the Dyno for a tune

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the front rail savers (probably form the same company above posters have commented on) on a supposedly good sale yet they still were over $40 to my door. I could have made these myself, and better, with $3 in parts from walmart.

Atleast I didn't pay over $1,000 and give away my stock side mirrors in order to receive some carbon fiber covered ones lmao.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:32 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbopower87
I got the front rail savers (probably form the same company above posters have commented on) on a supposedly good sale yet they still were over $40 to my door. I could have made these myself, and better, with $3 in parts from walmart.

Atleast I didn't pay over $1,000 and give away my stock side mirrors in order to receive some carbon fiber covered ones lmao.
On my c3 I regret the vertical door kit. On my c5 I love the lambo door kit. Only regret I have on the c5 would be the rear racing wing , I should have went with the tiger shark rear bumper.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
MarkyMarkGTM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a few that didn't turn out like I had planned. Nothing catastrophic that I removed because I hated it so much, but rather things that I hadn't planned for or turned out a little differently than expected, or "It's O.K. but probably will change it up later" such as...

1. I regret buying the same size wheels and tires for all four corners. Did not know that traction control would be an issue so now I disable it every time I turn on the car and will be shopping for a slightly taller rear tire when these wear out, or 19's for the back.

2. When I re-did the interior of my car(it was set on fire) I was on a budget and also a time crunch (wanted to be out driving it) so my replacement pieces were black instead of Oak because black parts are easy to find used. The result was a two tone black and oak interior that looked not bad and passable for the first summer of ownership. I personally hate Oak and this winter I will complete the black transformation and be all black for next season. In the pic the glove box, seats, and carpet used to be Oak from the factory.

3. I went a little dark on the tail lights/corners/side markers . Tinted them myself with tinted clear coat and the idea is that with each coat you apply they get darker and darker (naturally) and then you evaluate after each coat and stop when desired tint is achieved. At two coats it looked almost too light and I didn't want to finish them and always wish I had gone darker, so that lead to coat number three. The difference between 2 and 3 was HUGE. I love the look but they are too dark from a safety stand point and very hard to see during the day.

I agree with the person who says they research and think about mods so much that there isn't a lot of room for error. My problem is I like things that are unique, never been done, or I haven't seen before and likely won't see many of. That leads to some risky choices such as putting black wheels on a Mag Red Vert. Luckily I have liked most of the mods I have done, even if they didn't turn out EXACTLY as I pictured them
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 AM
OhioC5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On my last C-5 I installed one tail light black out. I hated how it looked, didn't even unwrap the rest. I sold them the next day for a loss.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I fitted a reversing camera to the Vert. It sat behind the rear number plate.

Not only was it difficult to set the position accurately so I saw the area I wanted, I bought a useless camera. It tuned into a specific frequency using a rotary tuning **** on the control box. The **** was loose so it kept drifting off and showing a fuzzy picture. The camera ran on batteries which ran out too quickly.

To top the lot I realized that really a reversing camera in a Vert is not massively useful unless the top is up. I got so fed up with it I pulled it all out.

The main regret is that I had to trim the bodywork in behind the plate to get it to fit and its not pretty. It's hidden but I know its there.

Luckily I've been very happy with most of my mods.

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-11-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 AM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
I did the flushed tail lights, and I took the so called kit off faster than it took me to put it on.
Waste of money
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the black out tail lights but got worried they couldnt be seen well enough and pulled em off after a month or so.I also wish I had bought Corsa Pace Cars instead of the Touring exhaust.Oh,and I should have sent my computer off to Chuck Cow instead of buying a Predator.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I purchased a stainless steel alternator cover and belt tension cover, because the alt, really looked bad and I wanted it covered up. I have removed them and cleaned the alt. I decided that they made the engine compartment look like exactly what I was trying to accomplish, cover up dirt. That is the only mod I regret. I normally research mods I think about and I usually don't simply buy them as soon as I see them. I have found that if I spend the time thinking about it for more then a week, I probably really did not want it.

I was seriously thinking about GS fender strips, but after some thought, I decided that I did not think I would like them. I am thinking at this time to purchase a front splitter from Corvette Mods, I just have not pulled the trigger yet. Still thinking and looking for some more information

Get notified of new replies

To I'm curious

Old 11-11-2009, 10:10 AM
chris holmes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, it's Spectre Werks C5R lights, and 3.90 gears. Build quality of lights are very poor, and gears are way too much in a heavy hp car.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:16 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
I did the flushed kit and loved it!! My only regret was I got a VERY inexpensive one that had black screws that rusted within a couple of weeks!! Even though it was inexpensive,,after I got it,,I thought CHIT I could have done this for about what shipping cost!!Still like the look!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I had the blackout covers on and ripped those off one day after realizing they looked cheap. That's the only mod I regretted.

Last edited by JW Motorsports; 11-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm curious