Am I dirty...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 PM
terrible1one3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I dirty...

because I like my car dirty?

I don't know what it is, but something about a nice MY Coupe with a bit of road grime behind the wheels, brake dust on the chrome-like polished aluminum wheels, definitely a dirty butt, and watermarks all over it from dried rain or morning dew...

I just don't know... something about a bright car not shining, and showing that it is driven no matter if it a bit chilly outside or raining or whatever... I just like it! I have a stock '02 Coupe... it's not going to win any awards or anything, it's a driver... Am I worried about the added wind resistance a layer of mother natures gunk has over a fresh wax job?

Nope...

Will I continue to maintain my paint and bodywork by cleaning it regularly, waxing it, and polishing it when possible... yes, but that doesn't mean I throughly enjoy those times between cleanings when she is at her natural state .

What say you? Are you the polishing type? Keep real care and nurture your car. Leave it in the garage all winter (like most) keep it in the garage if it is raining (like most). Or are you like me, who has a "daily driver" but still finds himself (or herself) in the cockpit of the Corvette every day no matter how wet or cold?

This might wear off if the honeymoon period ever ends with my car, but honestly... I can't find a reason to drive my truck at all it seems... unless it's to go get something that won't fit in the Coupe!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
lightnin
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '11

I think I need to lie down now. I'm feeling ill.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, You're not only dirty. You're Lazily Dirty!!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The only time I like when my car gets dirty is when I'm traveling down the highway and I hit the biggest juiciest bug in the world... Of course, that feeling of achievement is washed away by the PITA duty of scrubbing that sucker off my window.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM
EllisJuan350
Pro

Im with you man, i live in florida on a dirt road, daily driven...Car gets washed mabey once every 3 weeks. I just stoped caring i guess you could say lol
Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Dirty Corvettes still look great!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
terrible1one3
Racer

Haha... I could have guessed the overwhelming response to chastise me!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

yup my car is not going to win any awards anytime soon but i will wash it on weekends if i have time. It's black so its already dirty again by the time i roll up the water hose!!

I'm not the type to get my boxers in a wad cause my vette has a spec of dirt on it hell i've gone months without washing it... still drives like a bat outta hell!!

A dirty vette is better than no vette i say
Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,678 Likes on 1,301 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's quite unusual for a Corvette owner.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I'm a driver. Cleaning is for days when driving isn't possible. I do put it away for the winter but only because it would be near impossible to drive with the snow and cold we get here.

all that being said, I do prefer my car to look clean rather than dirty
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not a fanatic I just clean it when it needs it no biggie
Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

My Vette always get a hose down if dirty or if driven in the rain...or some quick detailer....I guess I like it clean

Last edited by Indy; 11-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I keep my 70 pretty clean. I wash the 02 about once or twice a month. That pile of bugs and rain sludge slow it down. I do drive it every day and there is no way I can clean it up after every drive like I do my 70.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I NEVER have a dirty car.

Never.

Except for this one time... didn't realize the town I was headed to that day had dirt roads. It was also pouring rain. Turned into a soupy mud. Good times!

Funny thing was, once it was this dirty... I started enjoying the act of seeing how much more crud I could pick up. I figured, "why not?"

At least she shines up well afterwards!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 PM
O4-/-C5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible1one3
because I like my car dirty?

I don't know what it is, but something about a nice MY Coupe with a bit of road grime behind the wheels, brake dust on the chrome-like polished aluminum wheels, definitely a dirty butt, and watermarks all over it from dried rain or morning dew...

I just don't know... something about a bright car not shining, and showing that it is driven no matter if it a bit chilly outside or raining or whatever... I just like it! I have a stock '02 Coupe... it's not going to win any awards or anything, it's a driver... Am I worried about the added wind resistance a layer of mother natures gunk has over a fresh wax job?

Nope...

Will I continue to maintain my paint and bodywork by cleaning it regularly, waxing it, and polishing it when possible... yes, but that doesn't mean I throughly enjoy those times between cleanings when she is at her natural state .

What say you? Are you the polishing type? Keep real care and nurture your car. Leave it in the garage all winter (like most) keep it in the garage if it is raining (like most). Or are you like me, who has a "daily driver" but still finds himself (or herself) in the cockpit of the Corvette every day no matter how wet or cold?

This might wear off if the honeymoon period ever ends with my car, but honestly... I can't find a reason to drive my truck at all it seems... unless it's to go get something that won't fit in the Coupe!
A Corvette is at it's " natural state", as you say, when it is "Bristle clean".
Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible1one3, you are MY KIND OF GUY!

I have not washed my car in 3 weeks and could really care less.

I drive the car every day and every chance I get. Lately, even on nice days, I have not even entertained the thought of getting up the energy to wash it only because it rains every few days or showers, then the leaves and mush are all over the roads, really, who can be bothered.

I sure won't be a slave to the thing when no one in the real world gives a damn whether my car is clean or not, it is a Corvette and that right there means it is already nicer than any freshly detailed car/truck/suv out there. Like I say with TV or Movies or sporting events, one thing I'm NOT going to regret on my deathbed is "I wish I watched more TV", the other one is, "I wish I cleaned/waxed my car more, or, I wish my car was newly waxed before (this, that or the other guy/woman saw it), really, I could give a ****. Corvette it is and no amount of filth/water spots/grime/bug splats/bird doo-doo won't change that.

I'm Navy Blue Metallic, and I like to drive, not clean. I was the same way with my streetbike and even my snowmobile, so long as they run and are maintained to the highest degree, I don't care what they look like at all. Now my boat . . . my boat is worth a new C6, so that I keep a little cleaner, at least there is no fish blood/guts all over it.
Terrible1one3, good post/thread.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

cleanliness is next to Godliness

Get notified of new replies

To Am I dirty...

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 PM
rwcantrell
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I live on a mile of dirt road. I stop to dust my car at the highway exit, even in the dark. I don't like for it to sit around and be dusty all day in the parking lot at work. The only time I don't stop to dust is when my next stop is the car wash. It's not a super show nice car, but it's not my DD, so I like to enjoy driving a clean car when I do drive it.

I used to make all kinds of fun of my co-worker and his C4, won't drive in the rain, has to be clean. Now I'm the same way!

I also notice people looking at it and I figure they enjoy a clean car as well. Win-Win situation!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I would hate to see what your taste is in women?

I drive mine every day rain or shine, but it NEVER goes to bed dirty.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:46 PM
terrible1one3
Racer

I have a 2006 Buell XB12X... I haven't washed that motorcycle in well over a year!

It hasn't ever gotten any dirtier than it does after the first time driving through rain. The bike sure isn't a looker so I could care less if the only thing shiny on it is the lights.

My Corvette won't go through that, I'll wash it every once in a while... but like I said, I still like it with a bit of grime on it .

Quick Reply: Am I dirty...