Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:( Need Brakes: Plz help Cheap/Good Solutions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Default :( Need Brakes: Plz help Cheap/Good Solutions..

Hey guys,
My brakes are making noise, I know it's time to change them. I've recently hit 40K miles on my baby. This would be the first brake change for it. Before you start telling me there's no such thing as cheap/good, please realize that recently I have gotten into financial loss situation (kinda personal).

So, I can't afford the best for my baby right now. I'm lucky, I still have her. Please suggest some good rotor/pad combos that are not too expensive. I am mainly using it as a commute car right now... well, once in a while I like to do spirited driving.

Thanks for your help...
Old 10-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Donkey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest money saver will be the labor, do this yourself. Does not take any fancy tools. Get the pads of your choice (NAPA is a good low price place to start) and have them check the rotors while you are there, might not need to be replaced. Basic hand tools and another car to run to the store are all you need.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 PM
bsbruton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend the Delco performance pads- great stopping power and very little brake dust. They are more expensive, (I know you wanted cheap alternatives) but they cost me about $75 at Parts Depot. After installing these pads, I think I could throw my passanger through the windshield! LOL!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bsbruton
I highly recommend the Delco performance pads- great stopping power and very little brake dust. They are more expensive, (I know you wanted cheap alternatives) but they cost me about $75 at Parts Depot. After installing these pads, I think I could throw my passanger through the windshield! LOL!
I like that! Although I'm on a budget, I would be willing to pay a lil' more for quality parts. I am hoping to get pads which create less dust and have a good stopping power.

Any recommendations of rotors also (and other pads besides the ones mentioned here)
Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
EnVmYc5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I got powerslot rotors new and cheap

I got two front powerslot rotors! 100.00 shipping let me know if your interested!

Nick

I can email pics!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Napa rotors are under $30 each....
Get their least expensive pads as well and do the change yourself.

PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail a step by step word doc that will walk you through the procedure....
Old 10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bsbruton
For $75, did you get the Front & Rear pads?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EnVmYc5
I got two front powerslot rotors! 100.00 shipping let me know if your interested!

Nick

I can email pics!
Sure, Plz go ahead and email me the pix at: rog_gill@yahoo.com

By 100.00 shipping you mean shipped?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rws.1
Napa rotors are under $30 each....
Get their least expensive pads as well and do the change yourself.

PM me your e-mail address and I will e-mail a step by step word doc that will walk you through the procedure....
I've heard about those rotors, but the prices seems to be not $30. Does anyone have a part number?

P.S: My email id is in the above message, but I doubt I'll be able to do it myself. I don't have the C-clamp, and don't have space in the apartment complex to do a brake job. I hope I find a local indy.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I've heard about those rotors, but the prices seems to be not $30. Does anyone have a part number?

P.S: My email id is in the above message, but I doubt I'll be able to do it myself. I don't have the C-clamp, and don't have space in the apartment complex to do a brake job. I hope I find a local indy.
You don't need a C-clamp if you have some strong fingers. It's really frekin easy. See if a local fellow forum member will help you out.

It will save you at $150.00 over a shop.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see anything wrong with basic parts from an chain auto retailer if the car is just used for commuting

-Alex
Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,394 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Donkey
The biggest money saver will be the labor, do this yourself. Does not take any fancy tools. Get the pads of your choice (NAPA is a good low price place to start) and have them check the rotors while you are there, might not need to be replaced. Basic hand tools and another car to run to the store are all you need.
Not sure what Hawk HPS pads cost these days, but I ran them on my '00 and they worked great.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I like that! Although I'm on a budget, I would be willing to pay a lil' more for quality parts. I am hoping to get pads which create less dust and have a good stopping power.

Any recommendations of rotors also (and other pads besides the ones mentioned here)
I have a complete set of factory rotors and pads they have less than 3,000 highway miles on them. I switched them out when I went to groved rotors and Hawk pads if your interested let me know. I can shoot photos of them all if your interested make me an offer.

Get notified of new replies

To :( Need Brakes: Plz help Cheap/Good Solutions..

Quick Reply: :( Need Brakes: Plz help Cheap/Good Solutions..