Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Don't understand ditching the TI exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Warpy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't understand ditching the TI exhaust.

Not trying to start a flame war, and it's probably been argued before. I just don't get adding weight to the car just for a more aggressive sound.

If the goal is HP, a comprehensive buildup and better performance, makes sense. Go for it. Otherwise, I just don't get adding weight to a machine when the GM goal was to lighten up the Z.

Okay, maybe the question is at what threshold of a build does it make sense to lose the TI exhaust for a TRUE better flowing exhaust?
Old 10-17-2009, 04:50 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearly the stock Z06 Ti exhaust ( at least by accounts on this forum) is efficient, lightweight and well engineered. Mine is hanging in my garage

I had a Corsa Extreme System installed on the purely subjective basis of wanting my Z06 to sound better. The Corsa Extreme cat-back is about the same weight (plus minus I don"t know).

Again- it's simply about sound and what an individual wants. Frankly- the Ti system with the stock H-Pipe is fairly aggressive at WOT. If you are adding a CAM and headers you may be better off leaving the Ti system in place.

Oh yeah- this subject has been well beaten into the ground hundreds of times - do a search and you will get every point of view possible.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

A lot of us simply don't like the sound. It's as simple as that. It's not very aggressive sounding to me.

Also, the weight depends on what catback you go with. The B&B Bullets are REALLY close to the weight of the stock Titanium setup. Even then, adding 5-10lbs of weight with other setups is not THAT big of a deal. Just add more power.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:08 PM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

I can't imagine something like the B&B Bullets weighing more than the Ti's, and they seem to be a very popular choice.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Romulus
Pro

I really like the sound of it and would like to keep the cat-back portion. However, I want headers but they make the exhaust, even with the stock Ti, far too loud for me. So until I figure out what muffler will quiet things back down with a set of headers, I guess I'm sticking with the stock setup, exhaust port to tail pipe
Old 10-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Rockit.Eddie
Heel & Toe

Default Tips

I put the B&B bullets(Quad tip) on my Z for 2 reasons:
1- The Sound
2- The Tips (a LOT Better Looking IMO)
If I could have found a set of tips as good looking as the B&B's
for a reasonable price ($250?) I would have gone with the Ti Mod.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:00 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I think the stock Z06 exhaust are the perfect combination.
I can hear then when accelerating, but I can still talk in the car when cruising.
I have been in cars that are louder and they can get almost unbearable on long trips.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I think the stock Z06 exhaust are the perfect combination.
I can hear then when accelerating, but I can still talk in the car when cruising.
I have been in cars that are louder and they can get almost unbearable on long trips.
What exhaust are they running?

I have no cats, LG Pro Longtubes, and B&B Bullets. Unless it was also cammed, I can't imagine it being any louder. Cruising along at 65mph at a mere 1500 or so RPM in 6th, its just a low hum from the exhaust out back. We could hold a whispering conversation and still hear each other perfectly clear. Most people exaggurate the exhaust loudness quite a bit. Under NORMAL cruising conditions, its not loud at all.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

I just couldn't get in sync with downshifting when the stock catback was on the car. When I installed my aftermarket catback I could almost get it perfect right away. I’ve thought about doing the mod to make the stock Ti’s louder but don’t want to trash that system (thinking of re-sale..).
Old 10-17-2009, 08:02 PM
RedGS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With Kooks longtubes, and an x-pipe without cats, my stock TI exhaust sounds amazing on my 02. No resonance at all and its extremely loud when I have my foot in it, but very livable at normal rpms. I wouldnt touch a thing it sounds so good. Very exotic sounding. -Karson
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
What exhaust are they running?

I have no cats, LG Pro Longtubes, and B&B Bullets. Unless it was also cammed, I can't imagine it being any louder. Cruising along at 65mph at a mere 1500 or so RPM in 6th, its just a low hum from the exhaust out back. We could hold a whispering conversation and still hear each other perfectly clear. Most people exaggurate the exhaust loudness quite a bit. Under NORMAL cruising conditions, its not loud at all.

The loudness really gets bad when the engine starts to load at those rpms in 6th gear. If you are in cruise and the car starts to climb an incline the buzzing inside the cabin gets very bad as the engine cranks in more power.

Bill
Old 10-18-2009, 10:43 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm with the OP, my car is plenty loud with the stock Ti. If I wanted more volume I'd install headers with hi-flow cats.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

This whole discussion is so overwhelmingly subjective - as each one of us has our on concept of a good sounding engine.

I was actually initially satisfied with the Ti system on my stock Z06 - except for the H-Pipe jingle that drove me nuts . When I replaced the H-Pipe with a Magnaflow X-Pipe the annoying jingle went away - and so did the aggressive exhaust bark and snap crackle pop on deceleration.

Gotta say though - I enjoy the more aggressive sound of the Corsa Extremes which I am sure ould be too much of the OP.

In my view- the Z06 is a car that needs to be bodacious and not civilized.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:46 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Luv the Tis. That's why they are still on my 440 ci stroker, (with cutouts also)
Old 10-18-2009, 01:40 PM
ajfisher1
Instructor

just removed my stock Ti exhaust for a quad tip borla stinger set-up... great sound and im happy i did it!
Old 10-18-2009, 01:49 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
A lot of us simply don't like the sound. It's as simple as that. It's not very aggressive sounding to me.

Also, the weight depends on what catback you go with. The B&B Bullets are REALLY close to the weight of the stock Titanium setup. Even then, adding 5-10lbs of weight with other setups is not THAT big of a deal. Just add more power.

I went with the B&B Bullets also, the sound is much more to my taste.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Warpy
Cruising

First off, the search function in this forum is less than ideal.
Second, old threads may not reflect today's thinking.
Third, if all we did was search, no one would be posting. Dead forum.
If I posted a column lock question without searching, flames and denouncements are pretty darn justified. Just looking for current, real time discussion.

Curious, at what level of HP mod'ing does the TI exhaust become a liability? I know, I know...........straight pipe, no cats, no muffler racing mode for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Don't understand ditching the TI exhaust.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by NatB
I was actually initially satisfied with the Ti system on my stock Z06 - except for the H-Pipe jingle that drove me nuts . When I replaced the H-Pipe with a Magnaflow X-Pipe the annoying jingle went away - and so did the aggressive exhaust bark and snap crackle pop on deceleration.

Gotta say though - I enjoy the more aggressive sound of the Corsa Extremes which I am sure ould be too much of the OP.

In my view- the Z06 is a car that needs to be bodacious and not civilized.
I couldn't agree more! When I added my Magnaflow x to get rid of the jingle, gone was the throaty roar at WOT and the popping on decel, which I dearly love. So I added the Corsa Extremes which seem to weigh close to the stock TI's, and back came the bark and pop, and they're dead-silent at cruise on the freeway - a Corsa trademark. Couldn't be happier.

Oh, and let me add that one of the tips on my TI exhaust is slightly bent downward. I'm the 3rd owner of this car, and it had 5k miles when I bought it last year. There is no visible damage to the pipe that would've appeared to bend it. Could it have come that way from the factory? TI would seem to be EXTREMELY difficult to bend, and I'm not even sure it's repairable.

Last edited by TheDVS1; 10-18-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The loudness really gets bad when the engine starts to load at those rpms in 6th gear. If you are in cruise and the car starts to climb an incline the buzzing inside the cabin gets very bad as the engine cranks in more power.

Bill
Definitely true, but easily avoidable with a manual transmission by simply downshifting to 5th. In my case, this always gets rid of the drone/buzzing that you get when the engine pulls a load while cruising. You get a bit more cabin noise, but really not much at all.

For those guys with an automatic though, I have not much to say. With no easy to way to avoid the RPM ranges that the drone/buzzing occurs...I could understand it being totally annoying.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My plan is to try the bypass mod on the Ti. I have welders at work so for me it's knid of a free mod. It will be a month or so till I can do it, but I'm going to try it out.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Don't understand ditching the TI exhaust.