Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FIRST ON THE FORUM: Quick Z06 ZR bumper installed with paint.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
tonmarchelli
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default FIRST ON THE FORUM: Quick Z06 ZR bumper installed with paint.

I promised a lot of people i would get this bumper on by today even though it is my only day off for 2 weeks. But promises are promises. I just finished installing the bumper. Its not perfect but for the money i have into this bumper Its Ok for me. some of the edges dont line up perfectly and there is a little bow in the big opening that ive got to figure out how to flatten out so its still a work in progress. Keep in mind that i am by no means a professional. this is the first time ive done something like this and it was a blast to work on the car get everything to work.

BUT, Its on, I had to come up with a few tricks to get the signal lights installed and to move the fog lights but im happy with it.

Thanks to Pete for all the help he provided. one of the best vendors ive dealt with in a very long time. Ill be putting together a Step by step how-to for the installation of this bumper. so stay tuned.

Pics:

Before:

Test fit:

Installed:

Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Im on the fence.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM
eldudereno
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't do anything for me but as long as you like it, nothing else counts.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:46 PM
terrible1one3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it by itself... not sure how well it goes with the rest of the car though.

And yeah fit and finish is rough but you already said that.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
mobius
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yeah me too, maybe if the line angles where more rounded?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
zonsolo
Drifting

Does it really hump up just in front of the hood or is it just the pictures?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
bluerose
Advanced

Originally Posted by mobius
Maybe that's it...it seems very "squared".

Definitely changes up the look
Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by JDaniel
Im on the fence.
I agree! I am leaning more towards of "NOT" liking it - perhaps on a different color than Yellow!

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Fugly.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Nice Tony. You know what would help the "overall look" if the car was lowered. I don't know the situation, maybe it wont work for you being too low etc, but generally speaking it changes the look alot.

I appreciate the kind words and the pix. I hope to have my own pix soon.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I think it kinda gives it a Lambo look at first.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by mobius

AGREED!

This was something discussed several times. I'm not sure if the OP is the only one doing this setup but I recall speaking with someone who was suppose to install the bumper but round out the front line to make it smooth like the origional C5. I'm not knocking the OP in anyway, and I don't mean any disrespect, but the fit and finish doesn't look so great. This is why body shops charge to shave a little here, add a little there to make it seem as close to an OEM piece as possible. I understand its a work in progress but maybe the origional molds need to be slightly "tweaked" for a better fit!? Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

^ Tony did not want to spend too much money at the body shop tweaking anything. My bumper on the other hand will come out fitting really well, but I had my shop work on it a little. As for the molds, im already on that. I do have them fixing a few things that I think should be fixed, but its a long process, we are on it though.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:41 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
^ Tony did not want to spend too much money at the body shop tweaking anything. My bumper on the other hand will come out fitting really well, but I had my shop work on it a little. As for the molds, im already on that. I do have them fixing a few things that I think should be fixed, but its a long process, we are on it though.
Hey quick, hope you don't think I'm bashing the piece, more criticing then anything. I've seen some of your other pieces and can't wait to see what a full body kit will look like once completed. I understand it's a first time effort and adjustments will be made along the way. For a guy to do it on his own like Tony did I think it's great, and can competely understand trying to do it on a budget, so props to the both of you!

Cheers

P.S.
Since were on the topic, I like one of the origional mock ups better...

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Ok, I was told I could post this pic. It is still very early, I mean very early in the prototype phase at this point. The bottom section still needs to be opened (single opening like the C6) then we need to decide on which parking lights and if were keeping the scoop, which personally I would eliminate.

Last edited by STALION; 10-11-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:00 PM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

No I don't mind at all, just figured I would mention Tony was trying to do it as cheap as possible. Props to him, he did a really good job for doing everything himself.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 PM
SoSlow1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 334 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I like it... Lowering would help alot though...
Old 10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Cod
Bazinga!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by eldudereno
Doesn't do anything for me but as long as you like it, nothing else counts.

Get notified of new replies

To FIRST ON THE FORUM: Quick Z06 ZR bumper installed with paint.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Is it too late to go back to stock ?

Just kidding.....

If you love it, then thats honestly all that counts !

Toque
Old 10-11-2009, 07:20 PM
tonmarchelli
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I think its bad ***.

Ive got to work with it a little more to get it to fit better. this was a pretty hasty install. as i was pretty excited to get it on. Shortly im going to take it off (way easier than taking off the stocker which is pretty easy in itself) and reinstall it a different way.

I think the main fitment issue is that i installed it with the Lip attached which added to the rigidity of the bumper. so im going to take off the lip, install the bumper as best i can, then adjust the holes on the lip if necessary and install that. I think it will work much better. but all the hard work is over.

I was trying to do this on a budget. being 27 with a new house and other expenses i had to be a little budget minded on this project. but with some tweaking i can make it fit much better. Honestly i was trying to get it on to give the forum a view of what it looks like all fitted and painted.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tonmarchelli
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I think its bad ***.

Ive got to work with it a little more to get it to fit better. this was a pretty hasty install. as i was pretty excited to get it on. Shortly im going to take it off (way easier than taking off the stocker which is pretty easy in itself) and reinstall it a different way.

I think the main fitment issue is that i installed it with the Lip attached which added to the rigidity of the bumper. so im going to take off the lip, install the bumper as best i can, then adjust the holes on the lip if necessary and install that. I think it will work much better. but all the hard work is over.

I was trying to do this on a budget. being 27 with a new house and other expenses i had to be a little budget minded on this project. but with some tweaking i can make it fit much better. Honestly i was trying to get it on to give the forum a view of what it looks like all fitted and painted.
You did a great job and we all wanted to see it. It gives the C5 a unique look which is what I am after.

Quick Reply: FIRST ON THE FORUM: Quick Z06 ZR bumper installed with paint.