Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered car yeaterday and had a upsetting discovery!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lowered car yeaterday and had a upsetting discovery!!

Some of you may have seen that I just got new wheels and tires. I have not been happy with the look because there is so much gap in the wheel wells. So I decided to lower it on the stock bolts and see if that would be enough. I made some stepped ramps out of 2"X12" to drive the wheels onto so I can get my floor jack under the damn thing.
Worked well for what I was doing.
No problems with lowering the car to its max. Still not enough so longer rear bolts for sure, but Im clueless for the front. C6 bolts or these???
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-for-19-a.html

Now on to my rant!!!! Keep in mind that I have only had this 97' for maybe a month and a half. 3 weeks ago, I took the car to the dealership where it was originally sold. My friends dad, (who I bought the car from) had me take it there to have it gone over before I bought it. $1000+ later, it had the brake fluid changed, oil and filter, ........
with only 27K miles, they just brought it up to speed on the sevice.
Since then, I have put maybe 800 miles on it. Even drove 1.5 hrs out of town to a wedding a couple weeks ago. With all that, let me show you what I found while lowering my front end yesterday.

The brackets that hold the front leaf spring were not too secure if you know what I mean. One bolt was gone, the other was almost ready to fall out!!!! HOW IS IT THAT THE DEALERSHIP CAN HAVE THE CAR UP ON A LIFT TO CHANGE THE OIL AND NOT NOTICE THIS??? It is right next to the drain plug! I noticed and I wasn't even under the car!
Almost makes me think they didn't even change the oil on the thing! I looked at the filter and it is a little dirty on the outside but I can't tell if it has been changed recently. Dealerships suck! So much for a visual inspection! Never again will this ride see their service center!
I ran up to the hardware store and picked up another bolt and torqued them down so the problem is solved. Not sure what could have happened if the leaf came loose but I'm sure it would of been bad.
Rant over.............
Old 09-27-2009, 12:45 PM
dodriven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't expect anything less. Glad you caught it before it was too late.

I don't understand why anyone would ever take their car to the dealership. We hear story after story and people still go spend twice as much as an independent shop with half the quality of work.

Last edited by dodriven; 09-27-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:52 PM
BobbyG123
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need make sure they are the right grade of bolts and those China made bolts and screws that a lot of places are selling are substandard
Also used blue locktite on all suspension parts
Old 09-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Fire 22
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get how a mechanic could miss that, I hope you take the pictures to the dealership and ask to speak with the person that changed your oil.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:10 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you caught it

Chuck
Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fire 22
I don't get how a mechanic could miss that, I hope you take the pictures to the dealership and ask to speak with the person that changed your oil.
I'm going over there tomorrow to chew them out.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The person who changed the oil/filter isn't necessarily a technician or even a "mechanic"...
Old 09-27-2009, 01:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bolts loosen up over the years.

My guess is it was that way for a while

and the dealership, I bet all they did was hook up the tech II to check the On Board Diagnostics
Old 09-27-2009, 01:17 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

how does the car look now with it lowered

most the dealers dont have a clue what to look for i have found out over the years.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Maybe the mechanic thought that the leaf bolt was the correct bolt to remove to drain the oil ? ... When the first one did not drain oil he asked another mechanic whats wrong.... The second mechanic started to take out the second leaf bolt and before it was out fully, they finally figured out there mistake. Guess they forgot to put the bolts back in the leaf after though. They must have been in a hurry for lunch...

Toque
Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toque
Maybe the mechanic thought that the leaf bolt was the correct bolt to remove to drain the oil ? ... When the first one did not drain oil he asked another mechanic whats wrong.... The second mechanic started to take out the second leaf bolt and before it was out fully, they finally figured out there mistake. Guess they forgot to put the bolts back in the leaf after though. They must have been in a hurry for lunch...

Toque
This was my first thought too... I don't think it's too much of a stretch, actually.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire 22
I can understand a mechanic missing it at a routine oil change but when your paying for a inspection as the primary reason for the visit that is unacceptable.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

Dang, a $thousand bucks+, for a brake fluid flush, oil change, and inspection, and they missed that? That's sad! Good luck when you get there tomorrow, hopefully you get some satisfaction.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:42 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

The $1000 included a new sideview mirror and some other service.... I think??? Now after seeing this, not sure if they even performed any of the labor they charged me for.

The car sure didn't lower much with the stock bolts. It does look a tad better so it must have dropped a little, but not enough to look lowered. I need 3/4" more to get it right.
The car sure drives smoother now. Not sure if it is the non runflat tires, the leaf spring actually being tightened down, or all of the above. The car absorbs the bumps in the road much better now.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:47 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyG123
Need make sure they are the right grade of bolts and those China made bolts and screws that a lot of places are selling are substandard
Also used blue locktite on all suspension parts
Old 09-27-2009, 02:55 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

WoW ! You are lucky! !

Unfortunally, Dealerships really dont take care of customers cars like they should !
Old 09-27-2009, 03:00 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hattitude
I replaced the missing one with a grade 8 bolt and washer. I'm gonna see if I can get a replacement bolt at the stealership when I go in to raise some hell.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowered car yeaterday and had a upsetting discovery!!

Old 09-27-2009, 03:13 PM
642buteo
Advanced

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
I replaced the missing one with a grade 8 bolt and washer. I'm gonna see if I can get a replacement bolt at the stealership when I go in to raise some hell.
give us an update,I know at my local dealer,the oil change is done by some younger kids,not mechanics. They service advisor also said they wont install the cags device on my tranny to . I go to a corvette excluse private shop,more of a hassle but theyknow their stuff. Glad you checked your car and fixed,nobody cares like the owner.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:25 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Did you use a metric bolt?
Old 09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
250racer
Racer

well just to elaborate on how bad dealerships can be i took my car to a chevy dealer to get a simple inspection done and i watched the "z06 certified technician" sit in the parking lot for several minutes trying to get my car into reverse ...the **** has no shift pattern then about 45 minutes later i see my car again and says he cant inspect it because he couldnt get it in the air!

Quick Reply: Lowered car yeaterday and had a upsetting discovery!!