Sponsored by:

Fuel leak 2004 cracked crossover connector smells

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 PM
StngStlkr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
NHTSA was directly involved in the investigation of the failed fuel tank bungs and agreed to allowing the "extended warranty solution". Might be pretty difficult to build a case when the alleged watch dog government body bought 100% into the solution that GM offered. JMHO

Yeah, I thought about that. I would love to get a rough estimate of Corvette and XLR owners in the respective VIN ranges that experienced fuel leaks after their coverage ran out. Not exactly sure how I would go about doing that, though.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:34 AM
rnengnr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well its been a while since i have been on this thread.... Im glad to see many people have been able to take advantage all of the information that has been gathered and maybe kept some people safe in the process....

Congrats to all

RN
Miami
Old 02-03-2017, 02:02 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

There is a reason they call them stealerships! Last year came out in the morning to find some fuel on the floor just inside the drivers side rear wheel. Ended up at the dealership where I was told that the fitting on the drivers side tank had cracked but required entire tank to be replaced to the tune of about 1300-1400 as I recall. Then, slightly off topic, sorry OP, but it relates to dealerships. My horn had gone part time on me and I needed my parking brake adjusted for annual inspection. Dropped it off at the dealership for those repairs and inspection. Got a call from the stealership the next day and was advised that the slip ring in the steering column had to be replaced at just shy of 600 to get the horn working, then a second call back stating that with the new slip ring they were going to have to pull my perfectly good airbag and replace it with a new one for just under another 1000. At this point I had just about lost any temper I had left and the shouting started. I told them they were out of their F'n minds, 1500 to fix a horn etc, mixed with the appropriate expletives. Incredibly, and miraculously, they discovered they could effect the repair with no new parts and minimal labor. How 'bout that!! Now the emergency brake adjustment, 30K range vette mind you, they advised that the E brake could not be adjusted further and a complete new assembly was needed, price about 1200! More shouting and display of temper ensued. Anyway, obviously won't be doing business with these folks any more, also related this incident to all members of my club so they are aware. My speed shop will be doing all further repair or mods in the future. Can't trust 'em!!! Best wishes!

Last edited by friou; 02-03-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by friou
There is a reason they call them stealerships! Last year came out in the morning to find some fuel on the floor just inside the drivers side rear wheel. Ended up at the dealership where I was told that the fitting on the drivers side tank had cracked but required entire tank to be replaced to the tune of about 1300-1400 as I recall. Then, slightly off topic, sorry OP, but it relates to dealerships. My horn had gone part time on me and I needed my parking brake adjusted for annual inspection. Dropped it off at the dealership for those repairs and inspection. Got a call from the stealership the next day and was advised that the slip ring in the steering column had to be replaced at just shy of 600 to get the horn working, then a second call back stating that with the new slip ring they were going to have to pull my perfectly good airbag and replace it with a new one for just under another 1000. At this point I had just about lost any temper I had left and the shouting started. I told them they were out of their F'n minds, 1500 to fix a horn etc, mixed with the appropriate expletives. Incredibly, and miraculously, they discovered they could effect the repair with no new parts and minimal labor. How 'bout that!! Now the emergency brake adjustment, 30K range vette mind you, they advised that the E brake could not be adjusted further and a complete new assembly was needed, price about 1200! More shouting and display of temper ensued. Anyway, obviously won't be doing business with these folks any more, also related this incident to all members of my club so they are aware. My speed shop will be doing all further repair or mods in the future. Can't trust 'em!!! Best wishes!
I understand that they need to eat. but it doesn't have to be in Paris or Tokyo!!
That said, this website is a Corvette owner's best friend
Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sam Handwich
I understand that they need to eat. but it doesn't have to be in Paris or Tokyo!!
That said, this website is a Corvette owner's best friend
Heartily!!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:46 AM
Ronald Nash
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking tank C5 driver side 2003 vette

Originally Posted by dadsturn
Add me to the list. I havent had any leaks that i can find, but the smell is there if i fill the tanks.

What has been the response from anyone that you have contacted on this. It is starting to seem like the 04 year is the one having a great deal of problems here with the fuel tank crossover.
yes same problem c5
Old 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM
Science Nerd '04
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this site is awesome for new owners. Thank you to all of you who have posted.

I bought my 2004 CE last week on consignment, although we have been in contact with the PO. I'm the fourth owner. It has 11,500 miles on it and no issues with the fuel tank so far, but this thread has me concerned.

Does anyone know if I can buy an extended warranty now, so that if we do see this problem later, it won't send us to the cleaners? The Carfax didn't give any indication that this has been addressed, and we are in the range of affected cars.

Or, should I start saving pennies for a potential repair down the road?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:50 PM
SS2001SS
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Science Nerd '04
Wow, this site is awesome for new owners. Thank you to all of you who have posted.

I bought my 2004 CE last week on consignment, although we have been in contact with the PO. I'm the fourth owner. It has 11,500 miles on it and no issues with the fuel tank so far, but this thread has me concerned.

Does anyone know if I can buy an extended warranty now, so that if we do see this problem later, it won't send us to the cleaners? The Carfax didn't give any indication that this has been addressed, and we are in the range of affected cars.

Your local Chevrolet dealer can tell you if the tank and associated parts have been replaced under warranty or by a GM dealer. If not it can be done fairly inexpensively at home if you or someone you know are able. I did mine with a used tank from a C6 and a new crossover pipe and parts from Cultrag Performance Parts.
I don't know about the extended warranty thing. Best of luck.

Last edited by SS2001SS; 07-13-2017 at 06:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Science Nerd '04 (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 PM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Science Nerd '04

It's amazing how long this thread is hanging around.

As I posted about 6 or 7 years ago in someone else's question, if you like the car and it's a fair price, then buy it.
Not all cars have this issue. I had an 01 and 04 and neither had this problem. Yeah, every once in a while if I over filled the tank i'd get some lingering smelly fumes but within a few minutes of driving it's gone. Never had a dripping or smell when parked in the garage.

Not sure why Carfax would have maintenance info on your particular car but just visit a dealer with your VIN and they'll check it out.
Don't imagine troubles where there aren't any.
Good luck and happy motoring.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:59 AM
czarredd
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default '01 with fuel smell...no leak

Originally Posted by ZDRpewter01
Hmm I have an 01' and even after I leave the gas station I can park it and still smell a strong fuel smell. I just ignored it...
Strong fuel smell after fill up on my '01 as well. After gas level drops...smell is gone. No leaks. Fuel filter on this model possibly?
Old 10-07-2017, 02:08 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,670 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Somewhat related. I just had the fuel filter connection crack on my 99. It was spraying fuel right onto the exhaust. I smelled it but I probably drove 30 miles with it like this before I saw it. Apparently, the exhaust is not hot enough to ignite fuel, thank God cause I would have been toast.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Somewhat related. I just had the fuel filter connection crack on my 99. It was spraying fuel right onto the exhaust. I smelled it but I probably drove 30 miles with it like this before I saw it. Apparently, the exhaust is not hot enough to ignite fuel, thank God cause I would have been toast.
Wow!! You dodged the bullet on that one! Glad you made it to wherever safely! Take care!
The following users liked this post:
knewblewkorvette (10-07-2017)
Old 04-04-2022, 07:03 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

gm support for this fix is long gone but the problems remain. I'd love to hear more tips about doing this job without dropping the tranny

I have on 04 coupe that is leaking at cross over tube and although it's a low mile 19k car, the time limit has expired.

I've got a highly modified fuel system so perhaps buying used c6 tanks outside the defect range is the way to go.

thanks for any advice!
Old 01-31-2024, 09:36 PM
King of the Hill
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2004 CE Leaking

This is a great thread! I just acquired a 2004 CE Z06 and have this issue. I filled the car up for the first time today, and the smell of gas hit the cabin pretty hard. I parked the car in the garage and after an hour I noticed gas had leaked out on to garage floor on the LH side near the bucket. Assuming this is the same issue others have experienced with the cracked crossover.

To clarify, a 2004 Z06 has two tanks and a crossover pipe that connects the two? Are the tanks themselves bad or what? I need to find a diagram

In terms of a repair, I have a lift and restore classic cars so I'd be willing to take this on. What would I be getting in to?
Old 02-01-2024, 10:14 AM
MosEspa
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by King of the Hill
This is a great thread! I just acquired a 2004 CE Z06 and have this issue. I filled the car up for the first time today, and the smell of gas hit the cabin pretty hard. I parked the car in the garage and after an hour I noticed gas had leaked out on to garage floor on the LH side near the bucket. Assuming this is the same issue others have experienced with the cracked crossover.

To clarify, a 2004 Z06 has two tanks and a crossover pipe that connects the two? Are the tanks themselves bad or what? I need to find a diagram

In terms of a repair, I have a lift and restore classic cars so I'd be willing to take this on. What would I be getting in to?

---
Old 02-01-2024, 10:23 AM
Missileboy
Racer

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

To clarify, a 2004 Z06 has two tanks and a crossover pipe that connects the two? Are the tanks themselves bad or what?
C5's have two tanks and a cross over, not specific to Z's. It could be the cross over, but not necessarily, could be something as simple as a pump seal. 03/04 is a little more labor intensive (Chevy did a re-design in 03 sometime) to mess with the tanks/pumps but if you have a lift, not too bad.

Go read here

2003 - 2004 Corvette: GM TechLink: Fuel Tank System (corvetteactioncenter.com)
Old 02-01-2024, 11:28 AM
SS2001SS
Pro

The cracked crossover bung problem was/is isolated to a specific group of 2004's (not sure if only Z's) there is a sequence of VIN numbers that tell you if your car has one of the tanks with the defective bung. I think the vin sequence is listed in this thread somewhere as well as a pic of a cracked bung. The bung is the flange that the crossover attaches to. Seeing as you have the CE Z06 I would bet this is your problem. I had a CE too and that is what was wrong with mine. Early C6 tanks are a direct swap so a good used tank should be easy to find. See my comments earlier in this thread. I did mine in the driveway on jackstands so if you have a lift you are in good shape

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel leak 2004 cracked crossover connector smells

Old 02-07-2024, 05:17 PM
King of the Hill
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Z06 is at the Chevy dealership and they concluded the issue is directly related to the cracked crossover bung. The issue they're having right now is sourcing the correct tanks. For those that have gone through the repair, what did you do for new tanks? Since this thread is several years old, I'm assuming that short of finding NOS tanks the only other option is used C6 tanks assuming they're the same?
Old 02-07-2024, 08:37 PM
bookyoh
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts

My Z06 is at the Chevy dealership and they concluded the issue is directly related to the cracked crossover bung. The issue they're having right now is sourcing the correct tanks. For those that have gone through the repair, what did you do for new tanks? Since this thread is several years old, I'm assuming that short of finding NOS tanks the only other option is used C6 tanks assuming they're the same?
I believe there were one or two very detailed threads on this ‘04 issue last year. One of the forum members I believe was vette4fl.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:40 AM
SS2001SS
Pro

The C6 tanks are a direct swap. Probably not going to find a new one but plenty of good serviceable used units out there. When I did mine I found a good tank from a 2007 (non-Z06).

Quick Reply: Fuel leak 2004 cracked crossover connector smells