Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube header question (NOT tech related...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
nope...There is almost nothing they can do about a car registered and insured in another state.
Actually there is...........

All residents must have a CA registration and even if you're NOT a resident, per 4000.4 CVC, you must have a CA reg. if the car is used in the state more than out of the state.

CA is relentless......!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 50th@50
Don`t forget, though California was a top 10 economy in the world, being about 8 billion in the hole means once again, take it out on Joe Average. I.E.,sales tax @ 9.75, to renew my registration on my 03 next month is 410. plus a smog test. State income tax`s are high.
Like to smoke, try around 6.50 a pack. People very unfriendly,hostile, women, forget it unless you have a form of power to "trade". I could go on and on except here comes a slow driving cheby, drive by, hit the ground!!!

Sad, California WAS,,THE place, once upon a time. I want out!

Yeah... Don't forget about the second-hand sales tax! You know, the tax on something that's already been taxed.

My $50K Z06 was taxed when it was first purchased. THEN it was taxed when the prior owners I bought it from purchased it. THEN it was taxed a 3rd time when I purchased it. So, in 7 years, the government taxed my $50K car $8913.75 and has been registered by 3 owners including myself so they got that money as well... It doesn't make sense that they're allowed to tax the resale of a car when the government has nothing to do with the sale. And they're getting the registration fees to boot.

My boss wants me to move to AZ where he lives. I have a friend that wants me to live with her in Las Vegas. And I have friends in Canada... Honestly, all sound like good choices to me. I can do my job from anywhere there's internet access. So the other problem is all my friends are here in Los Angeles. I hate CA.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:04 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the verge of swapping these for some BBK shorties. I know they won't give me nearly as much horses as the long tubes, but they're reasonably priced as far as shorties go and I think I might save up later on down the line for an A&A supercharger or procharger. Both have systems that are 50 state legal with CARB numbers for the LS1
to BOOT! If I pull these off, I'll let you guys know, I'll need to sell them. I've only used them for a year; it's the LG motorsports street series with Xpipe and highflow cats in case you guys are wondering.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
50th@50
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Yeah... Don't forget about the second-hand sales tax! You know, the tax on something that's already been taxed.

My $50K Z06 was taxed when it was first purchased. THEN it was taxed when the prior owners I bought it from purchased it. THEN it was taxed a 3rd time when I purchased it. So, in 7 years, the government taxed my $50K car $8913.75 and has been registered by 3 owners including myself so they got that money as well... It doesn't make sense that they're allowed to tax the resale of a car when the government has nothing to do with the sale. And they're getting the registration fees to boot.

My boss wants me to move to AZ where he lives. I have a friend that wants me to live with her in Las Vegas. And I have friends in Canada... Honestly, all sound like good choices to me. I can do my job from anywhere there's internet access. So the other problem is all my friends are here in Los Angeles. I hate CA.
I hear ya bro., plus to top it off, we are over due for "the BIG ONE", some folks tell it,,,we are going right into the ocean.

Surfs up dude!

Seriously, great all around weather, out of the L.A. basin it`s beautiful,,,but other than that,,not so good. MAYBE a nice place to visit but I wouldn`t want to live there,,type thing.

Peace bro.,
Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 AM
TakeAwayTheFear
Burning Brakes

I think you guys are blowing this all out of proportion. My last car was an 06 Evo 9 and those are the target of cops way more than Vettes are. they fall into almost the same category as hondas, because of the big wing, and 4 banger exhaust note.

I had that car for almost 2 years, and I NEVER heard of anyone being fined thousands of dollars!!! I did hear of lots of people getting popped for their exhaust though, but it included a trip to the state REF. with an inspection. All you would do is swap back to stock before you went, and all you paid was a small fine for their time.

I rolled around North SD. for almost 2 years with a full turbo back, cams, and most of the basic bolt ons and never once had a problem, and that was an EVO!! Not a vette.

If someone can prove me wrong, with real evidence of people getting nailed for Thousands because of longtubes Im all ears.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew a guy who had an uncle who new a guy whose aunt ........................................ ........................

I don't think it's about proving or not. The truth is that there are laws on the books that could be enforced at anytime and the penalties can be very steep. The OP asked a question about some things he heard and the answer was YES. You and me and many friends of mine have been lucky and have had no problems for years however that argument would not wash in any court room.
I'll say it third time, play at your own risk. How much of an risk? There is no real answer to that and only you can determine how much you are willing to gamble.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:53 AM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Originally Posted by TakeAwayTheFear
I think you guys are blowing this all out of proportion. My last car was an 06 Evo 9 and those are the target of cops way more than Vettes are. they fall into almost the same category as hondas, because of the big wing, and 4 banger exhaust note.

I had that car for almost 2 years, and I NEVER heard of anyone being fined thousands of dollars!!! I did hear of lots of people getting popped for their exhaust though, but it included a trip to the state REF. with an inspection. All you would do is swap back to stock before you went, and all you paid was a small fine for their time.

I rolled around North SD. for almost 2 years with a full turbo back, cams, and most of the basic bolt ons and never once had a problem, and that was an EVO!! Not a vette.

If someone can prove me wrong, with real evidence of people getting nailed for Thousands because of longtubes Im all ears.
Well I'll elaborate a bit on what happened to me. Essentially driving down the highway, stop and go traffic, tops down windows down blaring music. Bike cop rolls up to me (I notice him from back a bit and turn the music down a bit too late) doesn't pull me over but starts chatting with me while were driving in stop and go. "What kind of PIPES are those" to which I reply with what kind of mufflers I have "borla stinger mufflers". Then some small talk (a friend of mine has a vette blah blah) and then he goes "so do you have headers on that or anything?" to which I reply with the answer he wants to hear (but probably doubts) "no sir". He says "Oh, ok..." and speeds off. Now, one friend said this is $2000 ticket. I asked another aquaintance who has a brother that's a cop who happens to be a car nut also and didn't tell him what my first friend said. He basically told me its $3000 dollars if you get caught. Anyway, ever since this incident I have basically been on pins and needles each time I drove by a cop afterward. What gets me is the "no probable cause needed" part and also the fact that our state is completely cash strapped. But my car has basically been in the garage not too long afterward ever since and I'm awaiting my shorties and will have them swapped. (these have the carb number stamped RIGHT ON THEM whew). Eventually I think I might stick either an A&A or procharger on there too. (car should put in the neighborhood of 500rwhp then CARB legal). Still absolutely annoying that long tubes are this much of an issue.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:30 AM
TakeAwayTheFear
Burning Brakes

I hear you on being on edge around the cops. how do you think I felt when they would just follow me for no reason other than having an IMPORT and Big wing??? It sucked and that the main reason I sold the car, and came back to a V8.(never had a ticket or accident.)

But having 2 friends tell you its a 2k or 3k ticket, which hasnt happened to them is kind lame. Even if the guy is a cop.

Im not saying it cant happen, or wont. Because in the end cops will do whatever they want. For the most part though if you are nice to them, they will be the same back to you.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 AM
AustinVetteFan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5
What gets me is the "no probable cause needed" part and also the fact that our state is completely cash strapped.
"Probable cause" is only needed to arrest someone for a criminal offense, or to obtain a search warrant. In most states, the Motor Vehicle Code is an administrative code, rather than a criminal one. You can be fined for an administrative offense, but I'm not aware of any jurisdiction where you can be jailed for one. Probable cause is not needed to pull you over and ask questions about, or check, your car's equipment because they're not arresting you, or searching your vehicle for evidence of a crime. All they need is "reasonable suspicion" that you're in violation of the traffic or motor vehcile codes, as applicable. Now if they try to search your car for drugs or something while they have you pulled over, then they do need to have probable cause, unless you were stupid enough to leave a bag of weed in plain sight on the passenger seat!

Another point to consider is that just as you "consented" to take a blood/breathalyzer test if requested by a law enforcement officer as a condition of getting your Driver's License, you "consented" to a vehicle spot inspection on demand as a condition of registering your vehicle for operation on a public highway. This is the infamous "Implied Consent" Doctrine, used pretty much everywhere these days.

STANDARD DISCLAIMERS: Use at your own risk. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited by law. Use only as directed. Do not exceed recommended dosage. May cause drowsiness. Avoid using while driving or operating heavy machinery. May cause certain sexual side-effects. I am not a lawyer. But I am an ex-cop (in a jurisdiction in Northern Virginia that was **** about the vehicle code, and in Honolulu where we were a bit more reasonable). I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express a few times.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:25 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

I appreciate the reply 808. This is what I was looking for when I first wrote the post. It sounds to me that popping a hood (or raising tinted windows??) or looking at parts of the car etc doesn't have anything to do with probable cause technically because its not related to a CRIME, just a hefty fine and I hate to admit it, but makes sense.
My whole thing is that I'd like to be able to show it off with the minimal amount of harrasment from cops. I think my shorties should arrive today and I'm gonna have them installed in the next week probably. The other stuff (front license plate, tinted windows) I don't really care that much about because it's just a fix it ticket if you get caught. This is originally what I thought the worst case scenario would be if I got caught with my long-tubes. Clearly, this doesn't appear to be the case though. I appreciate everyone info and input on this topic.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Long Tube header question (NOT tech related...)