Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette story.. seeking advice regarding a loved one (no, not the Vette..)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM
stas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette story.. seeking advice regarding a loved one (no, not the Vette..)

Hello fellow corvette enthusiasts, sorry for the long post but spare me a moment. I screwed up and need your advice. My girlfriend recently accidentally nicked a wheel during parking and I did not go about telling her to be a little more careful in a nice way. The sweetheart that she is, she forgave me. Unfortunately I have this stupid tendency to overthink such incidents and try to reason about them afterwards, bringing up everything that happened. As a result everything got blown way out of proportion. She told me she will not get behind the wheel again.. that was really not my intention. Me and my big stupid mouth.
To be honest I trust her completely when she is behind the wheel and I’m not worried at all. She started driving the Z starting with a parking lot (it was her first stint on a manual tranny), then small streets, then big streets and highways. Lately she has been performing perfect rev-matched downshifts.. We went to a scenic driving route recently and she handled the car beautifully through the twisties, it made me so happy to see her enjoy driving it. I am just so proud of her, and all the progress she made as she really was not that interested in cars to begin with and this car is not easy to drive. It brought me such joy that we shared this common interest and experience together. Now however, I think it will be really awkward and I feel very guilty in making her feel badly or afraid of driving. The car is by no means a trailer queen. Wish we could just put all this behind us, and one day she would just take the keys with a smile (unless that’s asking too much) and place her beautiful self in the driver’s seat.. What do you advise folks?
Everyone, please help me convince Ana to get behind the wheel once again so that everything is back to normal..
Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by stas
Hello fellow corvette enthusiasts, sorry for the long post but spare me a moment. I screwed up and need your advice. My girlfriend recently accidentally nicked a wheel during parking and I did not go about telling her to be a little more careful in a nice way. The sweetheart that she is, she forgave me. Unfortunately I have this stupid tendency to overthink such incidents and try to reason about them afterwards, bringing up everything that happened. As a result everything got blown way out of proportion. She told me she will not get behind the wheel again.. that was really not my intention. Me and my big stupid mouth.
To be honest I trust her completely when she is behind the wheel and I’m not worried at all. She started driving the Z starting with a parking lot (it was her first stint on a manual tranny), then small streets, then big streets and highways. Lately she has been performing perfect rev-matched downshifts.. We went to a scenic driving route recently and she handled the car beautifully through the twisties, it made me so happy to see her enjoy driving it. I am just so proud of her, and all the progress she made as she really was not that interested in cars to begin with and this car is not easy to drive. It brought me such joy that we shared this common interest and experience together. Now however, I think it will be really awkward and I feel very guilty in making her feel badly or afraid of driving. The car is by no means a trailer queen. Wish we could just put all this behind us, and one day she would just take the keys with a smile (unless that’s asking too much) and place her beautiful self in the driver’s seat.. What do you advise folks?
Everyone, please help me convince Ana to get behind the wheel once again so that everything is back to normal..
My wife says the same thing..."I will never ????? again because of this" and in time, she forgets, I forget an dthere we are doing that very thing again. Time heals all wounds. Buy a card. Tell her you "like" the car, but you "love" her.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

She'll probably forget about it.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 545 Likes on 288 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

She's a woman...she won't forget about it (take it from a guy who's been married 34 years). But with time you might be able to get her back into the driving it.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Have her read your post and she will understand.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM
redroket
Racer

Default car

I have been married for 35 years and have had my z for almost 4 years. My wife hates driving the Z mainly because I am so careful with it and she is afraid to scrape a wheel or get in an accident. While I really like my Z there is not comparison between wife and car. I am a bit of a hot head so I am sure I would be in the same position as you! Flowers, nice card and a nice dinner will get you back in good graces with her!
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
keliente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dangerz
She'll probably forget about it.
Women are not programmed to forget
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default tell her, not us

Forget posting here.
Tell her exactly what you feel.
Hand her the keys and tell her YOU won't drive it again until after she does.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
transamer79
Burning Brakes

shes a woman, they hold grudges. let her read your first post and she should understand
Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Buy her something nice, its part of the Corvette tax
Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Pony327
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude it's a car and there are over 200,000 more C5s out there, that being said I would be upset too. However I dont get people who wont let other friends cousins drive their cars as if they have a enzo or something, gimme a break its a dime a dozen C5
Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 PM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)

Surprise her, buy her a decent used one, try to find one with her favorite color, and you both can go play.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
stas
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.. I tried to let her know how I felt, maybe she'll read this and believe me. Thank you all, keep them coming.

Stas.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she's a keeper like mine ( My GF and I have been together for 12 years, lived together for 10 of them and own a house together ) give her the 2001 and get yourself an '03, or '04 CE. If she's only temporary, then go snap the heel off her favorite stilettos and call it even!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:46 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DropTheTop
.....go snap the heel off her favorite stilettos and call it even!
Now that there's funny, I don't care who you are.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Just tell her you're sorry and overreacted. Then throw her the keys and say go out and have fun. And next time, remember how this turned out and think before speaking. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
NYVette01
Racer

I mean this in the nicest way possible. Man up.

She screwed up by curbing your rim. I would be pissed too and there is nothing wrong with being mad about something like that. She obv. wasn't being careful enough. If she can't understand why you would be mad then that is HER problem, not yours. It is after-all your car, you make the rules and you decide who can and can't drive it.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette story.. seeking advice regarding a loved one (no, not the Vette..)

Old 08-06-2009, 03:10 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NYVette01
I mean this in the nicest way possible. Man up.

She screwed up by curbing your rim. I would be pissed too and there is nothing wrong with being mad about something like that. She obv. wasn't being careful enough. If she can't understand why you would be mad then that is HER problem, not yours. It is after-all your car, you make the rules and you decide who can and can't drive it.
You're single aren't you???
I guarantee you that the "I'm the man" treatment won't satisfy anyone.

He's got it right. An apology that she accepts is the only way out of this.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
Cod
Bazinga!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Geeze, just sign off on the title to her. When you would like to drive HER car, just beg, plead and promise her every thing. good luck, I think your gonna need it.

Quick Reply: Corvette story.. seeking advice regarding a loved one (no, not the Vette..)