Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] I've learned to appreciate the stock shifter...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Z06SRUL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, like I said the stock shifter is awesome IF you know how and when to shift. Some of these kids read it on the inter-net and you can't beat it out of there heads. "Huh-uh dude I read that the bla-bla bla shifter is the most un-believable m-f-in shifter in the whole world man!"
"Not only that bro I read that you can gain massive HP with this shifter."
Old 08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin01SS
Cant say I had too many complaints about my stocker. It was a little tall and bulky for my liking. Think thats the ultimate reason I got rid of it. Went with a C6Z shifter. Comfortable and easy to shift. Only complaint is it doesnt "advertise" which gear you are in very well which may not be what you want from a racing perspective. I don't race ALL that much, so I went away from the stocker for the look/comfortable factor more so than the stockers ability to shift fast/accurate. Just my .02 in the matter
Is the C6Z shifters shaft/handle sit lower than the stock C5Z? Is the throw even slightly shorter with the C6Z shifter?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Redneck Slim
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Girly-men should consider the Mallett shifter. It's a stock shifter that has been modified to eliminate the slop. Effort and throws are stock,but it's precise. I enjoyed one for years before I manned up with an anti-venom no-springs Hurst.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
uberC5
Racer

Originally Posted by 03 Z-oh-6
Is the C6Z shifters shaft/handle sit lower than the stock C5Z? Is the throw even slightly shorter with the C6Z shifter?
Stock C6Z(left) vs stock C5Z(right):

Just did the install today. I liked the stock one, and I think I'll like the C6Z better. Thanks Glenn!!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
redroket
Racer

Default shifter

I switched to a Kirban and never looked back! The stock shifter is not precise at all! The kirban shifts like stock but actually goes in the correct slot each time! I had 3 times with the stock shifter going from 2nd to third where it just went into nowhere?
I tried shortening the stock shifter but still felt like an old VW shifter! I did shorten the Kirban about 1" and it is even better.
My 2 cents!
Old 08-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Justin01SS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uberc5 put up a nice comparison there. It is a bit shorter and the throw feels shorter. I think my biggest liking vs the stocker was the ****. The stock **** is made to fit someone with a hand shaped like a box. The **** on the C6 is much more comfy in my opinion
Old 08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it when nearly everyone rags on the stock shifter, about what a POS it is, and how the (your shifter here) is the greatest shifter ever, and yall must be stupid MF that don't know how to drive. Yet, Ranger with the stock shifter puts all you guys to shame.

Its been my experience that the modded guys get really pissed off when you beat them with totally stock car.

Kudos to Ranger and everyone else who can get the most out of their equipment and actually perform better than aftermarket pieces
Old 08-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I think a lot of people are confusing shifting quality/precision with shifting preference. I see there are still some people who say the stock one is inadequate, which is just not true.

What I'm getting at is the stock one is definitely good enough for any and all action you could want. Obviously Ranger has proven that. On the other hand, some of just prefer a different "feel" when shifting the car. I just simply prefer something a bit stiffer and without the slop, and I think that's something the stock shifter lacks...regardless of how well it's used in the hands of a professional.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:17 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
I love it when nearly everyone rags on the stock shifter, about what a POS it is, and how the (your shifter here) is the greatest shifter ever, and yall must be stupid MF that don't know how to drive. Yet, Ranger with the stock shifter puts all you guys to shame.

Its been my experience that the modded guys get really pissed off when you beat them with totally stock car.

Kudos to Ranger and everyone else who can get the most out of their equipment and actually perform better than aftermarket pieces

Very eloquent.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:20 PM
swollix
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redroket
I switched to a Kirban and never looked back! The stock shifter is not precise at all! The kirban shifts like stock but actually goes in the correct slot each time! I had 3 times with the stock shifter going from 2nd to third where it just went into nowhere?
I tried shortening the stock shifter but still felt like an old VW shifter! I did shorten the Kirban about 1" and it is even better.
My 2 cents!
I did this as well. Shortened Kirban.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Red ZEE06
Instructor

i agree with torch z06 the c6 Z06 shifter is great with an easy installation, the whole unit drops right in!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:36 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
... There's no such thing as a Tremec internal rail transmission that shifts butter smooth.
I think this is the real issue.

People are looking for anything that will help, different oil, different shifters, etc. I'm used to sport and motoX bikes that shift almost instantly with just a snick, snick, snick. To me the Corvette shifts like a friggin Harley. I don't think there is any shifter that will correct how crappy the transmission shifts. LG will sell you a nice transmission that shifts easily and quickly. It's only about $25,000, or in other terms, the current average used price of 2002 Z06. How important is quick smooth shifting to you?

For either a stock or aftermarket shifter I'm sure that good technique will provide the best results possible.

Dog

Quick Reply: [Z06] I've learned to appreciate the stock shifter...