Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone completely repainted a different color?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
cyberslick18
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone completely repainted a different color?

Hey, a few months ago I bought a black c5 from the forum, with black powdercoated wagon wheels. I love the triple black look, as almost all my self bought cars have been that way.

However, I recently saw pretty much my exact car, but in torch red (i believe), and it was dead sexy.

I'm also sick of every, single, tiny flaw in my car being transparent from 200 feet away, unless I just finished cleaning it.

Have any of you ever had your corvette (or know someone who has) completely repainted a different color?

Money isn't really an issue until it goes over say $7,000.

How much did it cost you?

Should I have it done at a dealership or a reputable paint shop?

Was it worth it?

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Gunmetal351
4th Gear

i also have a triple black c5 with black rims...and every now and then ill see a vette with color in traffic and envy it...however the grass is always greener on the other side...i would like to be able to put my top down with out burning my hand on the top though...but im not gonna change a thing...black on black looks pretty sick
Old 07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've often considered buying a used Torch Red or Mag Red C5 Verte and have it painted a custom "Cherry" or "Mod" red similar to some C3s I've seen. I love the color and it really pops, however if I ever do it, I want to take the car apart completely and paint the entire chassis, etc.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,589 Likes on 673 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by cyberslick18
Hey, a few months ago I bought a black c5 from the forum, with black powdercoated wagon wheels. I love the triple black look, as almost all my self bought cars have been that way.

However, I recently saw pretty much my exact car, but in torch red (i believe), and it was dead sexy.

I'm also sick of every, single, tiny flaw in my car being transparent from 200 feet away, unless I just finished cleaning it.

Have any of you ever had your corvette (or know someone who has) completely repainted a different color?

Money isn't really an issue until it goes over say $7,000.How much did it cost you?

Was it worth it?

Thanks!

You could do a custom metal flake over the black base. That would look pretty cool. I did something like that to my black 96' Camaro. I couldn't stand the way it showed everyyyything.. and it was difficult to clean for car shows. I also had marbleized graphics painted on the sides of the car. The paint is subtle but gives it more pizazz and hides some imperfections whether it be dirt or swirls. Stripes could also be an option.. either painted or decal. Just work with the base coat you already have. btw, use a reputable paint shop for this type of work!

You could also.. do the top half of your car in torch red since you like that color. Someone on here did theirs two-tone gray/black and it looks awesome.

Last edited by Shirl; 07-28-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

This guy just repainted his black Zo6 a custom (Audi) blue color...

Might pm him and check out his thoughts...

Here's the thread showing pictures: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ng-c5-z06.html
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,194 Posts

I know exactly how you feel! When I looked for a C5 I had three basic criteria, it had to be a coupe, it had to be automatic and it had to be ANY COLOR BUT BLACK! So, in the end, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! But I've always figured that eventually I will repaint it, as I really don't enjoy how easily the dust shows up on this color, plus every little flaw. And truth be told, even if I could somehow magically keep the paint dust free and flawless, the color just doesn't look as good to me on a bright sunny day compared to a nice bright metallic color. I've always had bright metallic uniquely colored cars (such as my candy apple red Mustang GT or my Blue Green Chameleon Firebird Formula)

If I could afford to repaint my car right now I'd pick a Jaguar color called Emerald Fire. It's a metallic green color that just looks electric when the sun hits it! I've always loved green cars (I had a 95 Trans Am in Forest Green and my wife's Civic is dark green also) and green is so rare on the C5 as well (plus I don't think Fairway Green or Dark Bowling Green look as nice as this Jaguar green that I want)
Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Blown 346
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the cost. I have had estimates for my Vette for 12 grand. Thats also at a one of the best bodyshops around me and painting the car black again.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Luckily, the C5 can be completely disassembled less the rockers so repaints are much easier. All the panels can be removed for easy spraying.

Last edited by dougbfresh; 07-28-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown 346
About the cost. I have had estimates for my Vette for 12 grand. Thats also at a one of the best bodyshops around me and painting the car black again.
$12k I think I'd sell my car and take the extra $12k for the paint job and get a Z06 or C6. That's some crazy $$ for a respray.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
ilwill77
Instructor

Just repainted mine a different custom color a few months back and love it. Pics don't do the new color justice but when the sun is shining it's all worth it. I put in a LOT of hours doing the disassembly, body work, reassembly, wet sanding, buffing, etc, etc. but I won't come across another one like it.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
$12k I think I'd sell my car and take the extra $12k for the paint job and get a Z06 or C6. That's some crazy $$ for a respray.

The only way I could understand spending that much for a repaint would be to do a real unique color like candy apple red or something you just don't see everyday. But to spend $12k for black, which is super common on the C5 (I'm never the only black C5 at any Corvette gathering!), just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ~JOSHUA
This guy just repainted his black Zo6 a custom (Audi) blue color...

Might pm him and check out his thoughts...

Here's the thread showing pictures: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ng-c5-z06.html
I'm that guy. How can I help?

If you're looking for a price, I'd say you're going to be close to $6-7k for a quality color change. In my instance, I've known the body shop owner for years... and he let me do some of the work to save some cash. We haven't figured out what the retail cost would be... but we're right around $2,000 in materials... at his cost.

$12k is almost unbelievable.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
cyberslick18
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tech
I'm that guy. How can I help?

If you're looking for a price, I'd say you're going to be close to $6-7k for a quality color change.

$12k is almost unbelievable.
That's what I was ball parking to pay. I don't know if I'll do it for a while, as there is plenty of more fun 6,000 shells could get me, and I'm still playing with the idea of selling it and looking for a Z.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 PM
molten vett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my color changed to House of Kolor kandy apple red W/ghost flames about a year ago. Ran me about 7grand but they did interior paint work and also paint under the hood.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, 7k aint that bad for all that work.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd stay away from a dealer!!! Their overhead=$$$,,and you have to figure they are not going to get the top paint guys,,,they are probably going to get their own shops!! Id check local cruise ins and car shows and ask around!! They will know who to look at!!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 PM
TheWildcat
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default black to yellow

my 97 was black after 3 mos shes yellow....just get someone who pays attention to the details... It will be 5-7k.....Thanks John

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone completely repainted a different color?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 PM
versatile
Drifting

Originally Posted by cyberslick18

Money isn't really an issue until it goes over say $7,000.

How much did it cost you?

Was it worth it?

Thanks!
You "SHOULD" be about 5-6000.00 for a color change. Face it, that is about 80 hrs labour. Plenty of time for a good shop to do it right.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had a complete repaint done on my C3, but not on a C5. The car was stripped to bare glass all imperfections corrected, seems and gap trued, primed, painted in Candy Apple Red over a gold base and cleared. The cost was about 6K. The first thing people see about a car is the paint. If it is in your budget a quality paint job is worth every cent. The car constantly draws compliments.

If your cars condition is good and its mileage is reasonable, the money spent on the paint is probably about the same or less than you would spend trading cars.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Jade Euphoria
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Patman, wanna trade? When I was looking for a vette, I wanted a black coupe with black interior, but ended up with a green car. It's dark enough to not bother me much, but I still want my black vette!! I was seriously considering painting it black, but I keep getting slack from people telling me I'll lower the value, it's not corvette ettiquite, (sp?) etc. So now I don't know if I should just wait and trade it in later for a black one, or paint it. I thought green was undesirable, but I've only seen ONE other green one, and it was a convertible. So would that make it even more "wrong" to paint it if the green is harder to find?

Quick Reply: Anyone completely repainted a different color?